Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tekken 4 (PS2 US) - Why The Wait??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tekken 4 (PS2 US) - Why The Wait??

hello all...

i've had the Jap version of Tekken 4 for PS2 since April, and all I've been thinking this whole time is, Why is there such a long wait for the US release?? i mean, what really needs to be done to this game that takes 6 months?? there's not even that much Japanese in the game.. i just don't get it.. anyone?
Old 07-13-02, 01:09 PM

Namco Hometek decided not to step on Sega's toes and release Tekken 4 at the same time as Virtua Fighter 4 in the US. As a result, they put it off so that it was closer to the holiday season.
Old 07-13-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe their busy adding a bowling minigame.
Old 07-13-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
and considering Soul Calibur 2 is coming out soon, they don't want to create competition for themselves, it might be that they are going to bump that back aswell.
Old 07-15-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
and considering Soul Calibur 2 is coming out soon, they don't want to create competition for themselves, it might be that they are going to bump that back aswell.
I would say SC2 is safely into 2003 as it stands anyway. Probably Spring.
Old 07-15-02, 08:59 AM
Retired

SC2 is hitting arcades this fall, and currently slated to hit the consoles in January 2003, thought as Agtfox said, I don't think it will come out until spring.

Tekken 4 comes out on the PS2 this fall. Namco isn't stupid enough to put Soul Calibur 2 out close to it and create competition for themselves. They want to sell the hell out of Tekken 4, and then put out Soul Calibur 2. If they put them both out around the same time, the only people that will buy both of them are the hardcore fighting game fans. Staggering the releases will allow them to sell both games to more casual fighting fans as most of them will be done with/tired of Tekken 4 by the time SC2 hits.

As for the topic on hand, aren't they adding a bunch of stuff to the U.S. version of Tekken 4 which would explain the delay?
Old 07-15-02, 01:27 PM

Not that I'm aware of. I just worked on a spread for the new OPM on Tekken 4 and it wasn't made aware to me that there was anything new.
Old 07-15-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Darknight
Not that I'm aware of. I just worked on a spread for the new OPM on Tekken 4 and it wasn't made aware to me that there was anything new.
Im not too fond of Tekken 4, but I cant deny the game looks amazing. I was at the tournament at the Namco booth at E3 at damn it was nice. I guess if I do pick up this game It will give me a better appreciation for it, seeing as how when I try to play it at the arcades I get owned
Old 07-15-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Practice, Daniel-san, many moons of practice