Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Finally Returning to the World of PC Gaming

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-02, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Finally Returning to the World of PC Gaming

Well, I finally got a new computer after retirng my PII 233 (oy!) after five years. With the exceptions of The Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon, I haven't played any PC games in years, as I never had a processer that could run them. As that's been rectified now, I need some suggestions.
I just picked up Black & White, it looks interesting (and is cheap now). I'm thinking about finding Deux Ex somewhere and that Morrowind thread makes it sound good (if I can find it on sale, that would be better though).

What are some other games of the past couple of years that would be good to check out?
Thanks!
Old 06-25-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of my favorite PC games are:

Deus Ex
Rogue Spear - the sequel to Rainbow 6
The Longest Journey - a fascinating adventure game
Clive Barker's Undying - the scariest game I've ever played
Sacrifice - a wicked RTS
The Civilization series (2, 3, and Alpha Centauri)
Alice - a twisted action game based on Alice in Wonderland

Since you've missed so many great games over the past few years I suggest you only buy ones you can find for cheap. Once you finish playing through those games some of the newer games you want will be on sale. I almost envy your postion.
Old 06-25-02, 09:33 AM
zig

One tip with B&W is either install the patch right away or don't install it, since it does change some gameplay elements that people came to depend on.

You might want to pick up Half-Life. Although I find it boring now, it was amazing when I first played it. Not to mention the ridicuously popular mod Counter-Strike.

Deus Ex is definitely worth picking up in my opinion, although it seems to be a love it or hate it kind of thing so you might want to try the demo.

Umm... that's all I can think of for now.
Old 06-25-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by zig
One tip with B&W is either install the patch right away or don't install it, since it does change some gameplay elements that people came to depend on.
What changes were made? I never finished it and have been thinking about going back. I was going to add the patch this time, and I'm wondering what changes I will be in store for.
Old 06-25-02, 10:20 AM
zig

Originally posted by Goblincat

What changes were made? I never finished it and have been thinking about going back. I was going to add the patch this time, and I'm wondering what changes I will be in store for.
Well, it's been a long time since I played, but the major thing I remember is it disabled the bug/feature of being able to drop tons and tons of food into the village center with a single food miracle, and ditto with the wood miracle. Disabling that made micromanagement a lot more difficult.
Old 06-25-02, 10:56 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what kind of games you like... but there is a lot of yummy FPS goodness out there. SWAT 3, Deus Ex (both can be found for very cheap... just make sure you don't pick up the "limited edition" of Deus Ex, which is a demo disc), Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Jedi Knight 2, Soldier of Fortune 2

Traditional D&D RPGs: Baldur's Gate 2 and its expansion, Throne of Bhaal

Third-person action: Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto 3

Squad-based combat, super-hero style: Freedom Force

I would recommend all of the games I've mentioned without reservation. Black & White, IMO, didn't live up to the hype... it turned into a game about micromanagement, and frankly, I got tired of my villagers whining.
Old 06-25-02, 01:59 PM

I'm a big FPS fan, so my recs would be :

Medal of Honor : AA
Soldier of Fortune 2 (I just got this game and started playing it - very nice so far, but tough!)
Deus Ex
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (I mainly play the multiplayer part of this game, it's like crack to me - but oh so much fun!)
Jedi Knight 2 - Outcast

Also, HalfLife would be a fine addition to your collection - theres a "game of the year" collection going for like $50 in best Buy that gives you HL, HL:Oppossing Force, HL:Blueshift, Team Fortress Classic, and of course, Counterstrike.

There are lots of game sout there, and many more to come - Unreal Tournament 2003/Unreal2, anyone?
Old 06-25-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depending on what you like, there have been many good titles.

Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Planescape: Torment)

Jedi Knight 2 and Dungeon Siege recently
If you missed action games like MDK2, Crimson Skies and Thief 2, those are all cheap and still good.

There are many RTSs as well like Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm, Ground COntrol and Red Alert 2.

If you enjoy the simulation genre (RCT, Sims), then Tropico or SimGolf are great titles as well.

Heck, Diablo II and Exp. are really fun can provide hours of online enjoyment.

Don't forget the just released Neverwinter Nights either.
Old 06-25-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, well I play on PC more then I do on any platform game, infact, the only stuff I tend to play on platform is VS games.

Now as to the PC world of games.. man there is so many to choose from. First thing you should get is HALF-LIFE the simple fact that you get so many other games with it alone is worth it. with Half-life on your computer you can simply download for free COUNTER STRIKE which is a great game to play (the cheaters have indeed been cut down some with all the updates), Team Fortress Classic, DEATH MATCH CLASSIC(which is pretty much Quake death match. and then you get a new mod Ricochet (which reminds me a lot like tron) there is also anotber two single player games for half-life, blue shift(play the game as a security gaurd in the same time line of half life) and another story about what a soilder faces at the same time. pretty much HALF-LIFE has it all and comes with a lot for just a single game. the graphics have improved so it doesn't look dated as much as other games

Other recommandations... JEDI KNIGHT 2- JEDI OUTCAST I love this game., it's based of the Quake 3 arena engine, so it's plays good and the force powers make it sweet. the 1 player story mode is fun and addicting

Next I would recommand ALICE this game is very very dark, and very very cool. Just one great game

C&C renegade is pretty cool if you remember the ol' days of playing this and considering it is a pretty decent FPS, it's worth it.

Return to Castle Wolfenstien is a nice game, and a nice multiplayer, both RTCW and [/b]Medal of Honor[/b] are great war games and both have there advanatages.
Old 06-25-02, 10:07 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions
I'll have to look into some of them. I was wondering about that Alice game just today, as I saw it at Target for $19.99. What's it like; what sort of game is it? I couldn't figure that out by reading the box.
Glad to hear you liked Deux Ex, and I remembered someone else's warning about the "Limited edition" version, which was the only one I found at Target -- thanks for the heads-up. I played Half Life several; years ago and I really liked it, dispite the slowdown on my old machine.
How is that Diablo II? Is it like Star Craft? Should I spluge and get the "War Chest" version? A guide might help me.

Anyways, thanks again. You're right, it is a good position to be in!
Old 06-25-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alice is a kinda like a 3rd person shooter/action game. It's a hard thing to explain. The whole game revolves around a twisted version of Alice in Wonderland. The game plays great and the story is great so you really can't lose with this one. The game comes with a cool and creepy journal written by Alice in a mental institution too. The designers put a lot of effort into this game and it really shows.
Old 06-25-02, 10:38 PM

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Daiblo II
Old 06-26-02, 05:58 PM

Unreal Tournament- just really polished.
Soldier of Fortune2- Haven't been this impressed by a game for a long time
Medal of Honor- really good
Return to Castle Wolfenstein- disappointed the 2 above are much better
also hear jedi knoght 2 is good the originall was great.

you can find this cheap under $10 get blade of darkness- a hack and slash barbarian typoe adventure game, great depth and gameplay one of the best buys I've ever had.
Old 06-26-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the factor with Return to castle wolfenstein that disappointed the majority was the lack of maps (beach run is fun, but it gets old) and that the whole system is reall that you have to play with some friends you know. Playing on the net is horrorable as you get 6 snipers and one soilder. the key here. if you are going to use a regular weapon, pick either the medic or the Lt. that way you can distribute ammo to others/yourself. So many times I tried playing with tards who didn't give anyone ammo (you can only get extra ammo from Lt. and the only way to gain back health is from the medic packs. they both use the basic guns, so if you are going to use the basic gun, just use a medic or a lt. unless you are a mean arse sniper, don't pick it, it's pointless on a map like the beach.
Old 06-26-02, 09:17 PM

Thanks and keep those suggestions coming. I just ordered Alice from Amazon as part of a larger order and got free shipping (video games are not included, PC games are -- very weird).

Just a heads-up about that: A nice find is that while you get free shipping for any qualifying order over $49, you can then use the coupon "SAVESAVESAVE" and take off another $5 ($5 off $40). So I picked up Alice for $20, Pearl Harbor Vista for $30, used the coupon and got it all for $44.95 shipped.

Anyway, thanks again. And can anyone give me a little info on Diablo II, I never played the original.
Old 06-26-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Thanks and keep those suggestions coming. I just ordered Alice from Amazon as part of a larger order and got free shipping (video games are not included, PC games are -- very weird).

Just a heads-up about that: A nice find is that while you get free shipping for any qualifying order over $49, you can then use the coupon "SAVESAVESAVE" and take off another $5 ($5 off $40). So I picked up Alice for $20, Pearl Harbor Vista for $30, used the coupon and got it all for $44.95 shipped.

Anyway, thanks again. And can anyone give me a little info on Diablo II, I never played the original.
Diablo and its Sequel are Isometric hack-n-slash "RPGs"
You basically pick one character and as you level up, choosenew skills or strengthen old ones. The game is fun single player, but the true enjoyment is going online and hacking away with others, as the game adjusts to more players and there are harder difficulties. If you are into collecting things (I never was), you can spend all sorts of time looking for better unique weapons/armor. The visuals certainly are not the best, but if you enjoy the hack-n-slash nature, its a good time.
Old 06-27-02, 01:11 AM

Diablo sold millions I honestly don't knoiw why it's just mindless clicking you really don't need reflexes, but hey sims has sold alot just not my cup of tea. I like the first person sooters, and adventures where you are in control. Did I mention SOFII before I'm telling yuou that game is perfect. Anyone want to back me up on this??? Also ask the guys at the store preferablly a game store like EB's they'll give you an honest opinion ifd yoiu give them a couple of choices
Old 06-27-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RPG's

Diablo (I & II) + Baldur's Gate = Neverwinter Nights
Everquest
Morrowind

Real Time Strategy
Starcraft Battlechest: Starcraft Original + Brood War
Age of Empires II + Conquerors Expansion
Kohan + Ahrimon's Gift
Warlords Battlecry II

Turn-Based Strategy
Civilization III
Heroes of Might and Magic IV

FPS
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Most recent versions of either Quake or Unreal
No One Lives Forever
Deus Ex
Thief I & II
Old 06-29-02, 03:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by drexel
Did I mention SOFII before I'm telling yuou that game is perfect. Anyone want to back me up on this???
I like SOF2, but I personally wouldn't call it perfect. The bad guys are all experts with their rifles and grenades (and they have a LOT of grenades), and they spot you and pick you off WAY too easily. I also found that some of the later enemies don't flinch when you shoot them, even at close range, while I believe your aim gets knocked off when you are shot. This would've been a nice touch.

I was jazzed to see that you could low crawl, but it blew my mind that you couldn't fire your weapon from the prone. If the designers were going for realism, I wish they would've gone one step further, because the prone is an ideal position from which to fire a weapon. I'd understand if they didn't let you throw grenades, or just decrease the range to which you could throw them... but come on, don't tease us like this.

And while I'm complaining... I would've appreciated a little lag in between someone spotting you and the alarm being sounded... something like the enemy running to pull an alarm, or him speaking into a communications device, or heck, even just yelling. Enemy telepathy really put a damper on my ability to sneak around on some of the levels.
Old 06-30-02, 03:27 AM

OK you got me thier all valid points althougy it's extremely solid. I'm jusdt jazzed by it anyways it has to be tough job balnacing realism and playability. From how you describe things it sounds like you woulod really enjoy Ghost recon. It has all those AI things you mentioned as well as the prone position thing although the enemies are gerat shots in that one too.
Old 06-30-02, 03:35 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
I like SOF2, but I personally wouldn't call it perfect. The bad guys are all experts with their rifles and grenades (and they have a LOT of grenades), and they spot you and pick you off WAY too easily. I also found that some of the later enemies don't flinch when you shoot them, even at close range, while I believe your aim gets knocked off when you are shot. This would've been a nice touch.

I was jazzed to see that you could low crawl, but it blew my mind that you couldn't fire your weapon from the prone. If the designers were going for realism, I wish they would've gone one step further, because the prone is an ideal position from which to fire a weapon. I'd understand if they didn't let you throw grenades, or just decrease the range to which you could throw them... but come on, don't tease us like this.

And while I'm complaining... I would've appreciated a little lag in between someone spotting you and the alarm being sounded... something like the enemy running to pull an alarm, or him speaking into a communications device, or heck, even just yelling. Enemy telepathy really put a damper on my ability to sneak around on some of the levels.
I agree, SOFII was annoying, but it was still fun to round a corner and blow off a guy's leg with the shotgun and watch the blood go everywhere.

Personally, my favorite PC game out right now is Grand Theft Auto 3. This game is so immersive and even though it does not have multiplayer, there is so much to do in the game and so many small details that you can do, it's taken me a month just to get off of the first part of the game and get to the 2nd island, there's really that much to do. I definitely recommend picking it up.
Old 06-30-02, 08:26 AM

As a PS2 owner from launch day, I of course already have GTA3 and yes, it is wonderful.
I saw that Diablo and the expansion are both $17.99 at Compusa. Of course, if I get both, I'm probably better off with the battle chest. How is the expansion? I hear that it significantly improves graphics and gameplay. Any thoughts?

BTW it looks like there's no great consenus on the best FPS. So many to choose from. I'll wait for some price reductions. Wasn't Halo supposed to be coming. If it does, I think that will eliminate any pressing desire I might have to get an Xbox.
Old 06-30-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kellehair
Some of my favorite PC games are:

The Civilization series (2, 3, and Alpha Centauri)
I concur with the Civ series recommendation, but please note that Alpha Centauri is NOT part of the Civ series by Sid Meier. If you are going to go with great civilization games, get Civ 2 Gold Edition (allows multiplayer gaming) and Civ III - absolutely spectacular game. I was just playing it a couple days ago.
Old 06-30-02, 03:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Even though it's not part of the series, I thought Alpha Centauri was a great spin on Civilization-style gaming. I have a hard time deciding if I like Civ 2 or AC better... and I REALLY like Civ 2.
Old 07-01-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
I saw that Diablo and the expansion are both $17.99 at Compusa. Of course, if I get both, I'm probably better off with the battle chest. How is the expansion? I hear that it significantly improves graphics and gameplay. Any thoughts?
If you want to play Diablo 2 on Battle.net online, you should get the expansion. The online games are set up so you can only play in either the original or the expansion version, but not both. As far as I can tell nobody plays on the original servers anymore.

As far as pricing goes, I think I have seen the battle chest (Diablo 1, Diablo 2 & expansion, guides) for as low as $29.99. It might be a better deal if you want the full experience.

PAL

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.