Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Eternal Darkness Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eternal Darkness Reviewed

This game has been a big question mark for the past year or two. To be honest, I can't think of another game where I was as unsure if it would deliver the goods as promised. Apparently, this game delivers. For those without an Insider's password, here's the punchline from IGN's review:
Presentation
A beautiful mix of slick menus, awesome visuals and audio, plenty of options and variety. Wow. 10.0
Graphics
Fanstastic art mingles with great technology. Brutally fast 3D engine, big indoor environments, crisp textures, great animation, lighting effects and more. Some seams, occasional poor particles. 9.0
Sound
Spectacular music tracks with tons of atmosphere. Excellent voice acting and sound effects. Very ambient. Some repetition. 9.0
Gameplay
Epic. Not for those unwilling to invest. Everyone that does will love it. Great control, combat, sweet magicks, excellent story. The full package. 9.0
Lasting Appeal
Huge quest -- 20 hours for the skilled gamer and longer for the rest. Lots of secrets. Plus, can play through three times for an uber ending. 9.0
OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.6
I know IGN's reviews should be taken with a grain of salt but I think it's safe to say that this game is good.
Old 06-21-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Good news as this is my next Video Game purchase. I've got to get it and the new 251 memory card, because my 59 is filled up.
Old 06-21-02, 11:03 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'm awaiting my $30 Walmart copy.
Old 06-21-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Eternal Darkness Reviewed

Originally posted by Kellehair

I know IGN's reviews should be taken with a grain of salt but I think it's safe to say that this game is good.
IMO, cube.ign's review are usually quite fair. I take this as very good news.
Old 06-22-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO, cube.ign's review are usually quite fair. I take this as very good news.
True. If anything I think IGNCube's reviews are tougher than the other IGN reviews. I think this game may have gotten a 13 from IGNPS2.
Old 06-22-02, 02:55 AM

Download the IGN movies and let them speak for yourself. This game I really feel is going to be solid.
Old 06-22-02, 03:35 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know of any B&M deals whatsoever for this game in the next week? Surely someone has to have this for less than $50, or a store that at least will throw in a free poster or beanie baby or something!
Old 06-22-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been wanting to get this game for a long time.
Not sure if I'll like it though...even though I love Resident Evil type games.
I'm thinking rental first, then buy...
that is, unless I can find one freaky good deal (wish i had gotten in on that 30 dollar walmart deal)
Old 06-22-02, 04:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'll be picking this up, but since when is 20 hours a "huge quest"?
Old 06-22-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was worried too, but it looks like this game is living up to the hype, personally I still don't know anything about this game but I can't wait to play it seeing movies and scores. I'm also gonna pick up the memory 251 because I only have 4 blocks left on my card (the timing was pretty good I haven't had to delete anything until now). I forgot this game was coming out so soon, I'm really excited now!!

Well IIG, I also missed out on the Walmart deal, I don't know of any stores giving out any beanie babies or posters, but I do remember reading on PGC that June 24th will be a lunar eclipse. Now I know these happen more often than solar ones, but Eternal Darkness will be released on the same day of the eclipse and it also one on the cover of the game!! It can't be a coincidence, just go outside and view the spectacle at night! Enjoy your free gift, IIG! .
Old 06-23-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go to www.playcentric.com right now and use coupon code NLFREESHIP for $1 off and free shipping to get the game for $41.87 shipped. That's a damn good deal IMO. The only problem is I doubt we'll get the get the game until early next week.
Old 06-23-02, 03:39 PM
Retired

Great news as I have this pre-bought at EB.
Old 06-23-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much is it gonna be at Circuit City this week?
Old 06-23-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$50. All the B&M's have it listed at $50. The only deal I saw was $5 off if you buy the game and guide at BB.
Old 06-23-02, 09:59 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Groucho
I'll be picking this up, but since when is 20 hours a "huge quest"?

"Huge quest" to me means lots of area to explore and lots to do, rather than a statement about the length of the game. That would be phrased as a "Long quest" IMO.

20 hrs is just right for me as I don't have a ton of time for games and usually get sick of games after 20-30 hours and just kind of labor through the rest of it.

Plus it said to get the best ending you have to play through it 3 times, so that will lengthen it some for those who care about getting the best ending.
Old 06-23-02, 10:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by joshhinkle
"Huge quest" to me means lots of area to explore and lots to do, rather than a statement about the length of the game. That would be phrased as a "Long quest" IMO.
But the amount of area to explore is directly related to the amount of time it takes to get through it. I would qualify a huge quest as something that takes 50+ hours to explore everywhere. For instance, Dungeon Siege has 120 hours out of the box, and Baldur's Gate 2 has over 200. Compared to those, 20 hours is piddly. Even GBA games like Golden Sun offer more gametime.
20 hrs is just right for me as I don't have a ton of time for games and usually get sick of games after 20-30 hours and just kind of labor through the rest of it.
I'm not quibbling over the length...20 hours is still a lot of gameplay. I just wouldn't characterize it as "huge" (unless they are comparing it to Luigi's Mansion )
Plus it said to get the best ending you have to play through it 3 times, so that will lengthen it some for those who care about getting the best ending.
I'd rather play through 3x as many areas, than play through the same areas 3 times.
Old 06-23-02, 10:34 PM
Retired

Impressions from Planet Gamecube

There must be some really happy postal worker who nabbed my original copy of Eternal Darkness, because due to shipping mishaps I finally just got mine Friday morning. Unlike most of our staff, I have tried to stay as out of the loop with Eternal Darkness as I could. I didn’t cheat and read spoilers, or watch new movies that have been floating around the net. Sure, we’ve interviewed Denis Dyack numerous times, but in the end, there was very little that we really knew about the actual game. I urge people to not read spoilers because it truly will kill the some of the best facets of this game. After 7 hours of playing, I can say that the over 3-year wait was well worth it.

Just to let you know, I’m what you would call a “fraidy cat”. Yes, things that go bump in the night do frighten me, and I am a very jumpy person. I am completely admitting that I’m a total wimp. I have played other horror-type titles and games like Resident Evil have scared me, but Eternal Darkness takes it to a whole new level. A Psychological Thriller can easily be described as a game that completely ****s with your head. It’s not only scary, but there are things that are just flat out strange, weird, and disturbing. It’s more of a “fun scary” than a, “bad scary.” It’s hard to explain without ruining some of the good things in the game. The second it was dark outside, I admit, I did turn all the lights on in my apartment. I am extremely creeped out right now.

I have screamed, jumped and yelled while playing, but the terror is only one element to what makes this game so great. The storyline is one of the most captivating that I’ve experienced in a long time. The characters are solid, and the voice acting is top notch. You can tell the writers stayed well awake during their History and English classes. We finally get to know the true story behind the “Eternal Darkness,” and it’s so thick you can lap it up with a spoon. That is what keeps me glued in the couch, and to my controller.

Make sure you have a lot of time to invest in this game. For a game as long as this, and due to time restrictions that I have with Planet GameCube, a game really has to be monumental to tear me away from everything for hours on end. Eternal Darkness is one of these games. I don’t think I’ll personally be rushing though Eternal Darkness. The story is pretty linear (at least so far), and you can save almost whenever (unless there’s an enemy in the room), so it can be also “pick up and play” type of game. Due to the fact that Eternal Darkness will suck you in and spit your brains out, the smart move would to quit your job or drop out of school for a week. Tell your girlfriend or wife you’re in jail. I personally just cancelled all my weekend plans, and turned off the ringer on my phone. Oh and to the staff members reading this, I really am not feeling well, and will be out of the office until sometime next week. No really, I am sick.

Graphics are decent, and are created on the fly. Visually everything is good, some things better than others, but not as polished as other elements in Eternal Darkness. Sure you’ve got a lot of the special effects in there, and the shadowing and lighting are great, but I guess it still appears a little “first generation” looking to me. There is some clipping, and some of the facial features of the characters I wish were a little better. I personally would have opted to make Eternal Darkness a two-disc game so the video didn’t have to be so compressed. On my 32” TV it appears to be grainy.

On that note, at this time I’d like to give the in-game Camera crew, a very loud round of applause. Please, start up your own company, and license your work. There are too many games out there that would benefit from your precision. You can find dead spots if you try hard, but over all it’s extremely solid. It’s not totally perfect, but it works phenomenally well.

If you have a surround setup, or decent speakers, your ears (and fears) are in for a real treat. The audio in Eternal Darkness is totally delicious, and downright eerie. It really adds to the whole experience. The sound alone has not only made me jump, but Louie has been airborne with his hair standing on his back a few times already. Play this game as loud as possible, or even wear headphones if you’ve got a high quality pair. Clean, crisp and downright impeccable...if the audio didn’t scare the absolute **** out of me, I’d even request a soundtrack.

Yes, I have totally gooed all over this game. But believe the hype people, because it is really that good. Chalk up another AAA title that’s only available on the GameCube. I will say that so far Eternal Darkness is the first GameCube game to have some serious substance to it. There’s some real meat to Eternal Darkness, and we’re talking prime cut Grade A steak here. It’s also a nice change of pace to play a Mature title on the GameCube. I don’t remember a game on the GameCube as of late that has sucked me into it like this has. For this to be their first GameCube title, I cannot wait to see what’s next from Silicon Knights. Fear the Darkness.

Billy Berghammer, Founder, Director
Old 06-23-02, 10:40 PM
Retired

But the amount of area to explore is directly related to the amount of time it takes to get through it. I would qualify a huge quest as something that takes 50+ hours to explore everywhere. For instance, Dungeon Siege has 120 hours out of the box, and Baldur's Gate 2 has over 200.
True, but take in mind that it said 20 hrs for "skilled gamers" and that's probably assuming taking a straight path through the game and not exploring everything. I haven't played the games you mentioned, but I imagine they don't take that long to simply beat. FFX is a good game to use for an example. Go straight through and you can finish it in 30-40 hours depending on how much time you spend leveling up. However if you do all the sidequests, and thus explore everything, it takes much longer.

Of course I haven't played ED so it may well only be around 20 hours long to see everything rather than play straight through. I do remember earlier interviews citing around 40 hrs of game play. However that could be counting playing through however many times to get the best ending.

I'd rather play through 3x as many areas, than play through the same areas 3 times.
Same here. I've read that there are "three paths" through the game that you have to play through to get the best ending. Hopefully the three paths include different areas, rather than just minor differences like the changes in two characters scenarios in Resident Evil 2. I guess we'll know soon enough.
Old 06-24-02, 12:50 PM

Just got the game this morning. So far it's as great as they promised it to be. Anyone with doubts, cast them aside unless you are the type to not enjoy games that require action and thinking.

A+ (so far)
Old 06-24-02, 08:00 PM

I think i might order the playcentric deal, its better than my lunar eclipse deal. My town sucks, they never have games the day they come out heheh. This afternoon I went to the store all pumped up to pick up Eternal Darkness and no store had it (I don't mean they were sold out, they had not received it at all). Not only that they didnt' even have the memory 251 either. This same thing happened with Resident Evil, no place had it until days later, so I'll just keep sitting here and tapping my shoe. Then again maybe june 24 was the shipping date....oh well. I've waited this long I can wait awhile longer.
Old 06-24-02, 08:23 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Outlaw
Then again maybe june 24 was the shipping date....oh well.
June 24th is the shipping date. What they call "release dates" for video game are always shipping dates. All the B&M (Target, Best Buy and a couple others) ads I saw had it listed as being available Wednesday.

I called the EB I prebought Eternal Darkness at and they are getting them tomorrow. I can't wait. I just finished FFX so I'll be able devote all my gaming time to it.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-24-02 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-24-02, 08:43 PM

Okay, further review:

Been playing all day. (Took the day off) This game is what SK promised it truely plays with your mind. I can't stop playing the game. Initially it seems easy, but there is a def. learning curve into the game. I would go so far as to say that if you own a cube and don't buy this game, you are really missing out.

If you don't own a cube, I would suggest getting one.
Old 06-24-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eternal Darkness scored an A from Gaming Age. Here is what they said in their Eternal Darkness review:

Nintendo and Silicon Knights have created the best reason to own a GameCube. I give this game the highest recommendation available. Don’t skip out on this one! It’s all in the details.
Old 06-24-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I would normally agree with this without giving it much thought, but since I'm playing Super Metroid this week for some odd reason, I'm really wondering if one can say which would make a better gaming experience.
Old 06-25-02, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know how long the Playcentric coupon is going to last?
I'm really considering getting this game, but I hate buying a game before playing it first...especially one that's a new series. (I'd have no trouble buying a Mario w/o renting...)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.