Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Head Hunter for PS2!!!Any Good??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Hunter for PS2!!!Any Good??

Is this game any good or should i go for something else?
Im open for suggestions
cheers
Old 06-20-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Dreamcast version, but never got very far into it. Its kind of a Metal Gear Solid type game. Its an okay game, but I don't think its worth $50.
Old 06-20-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My roommate rented it and it's a low-rent Metal Gear. It's pretty good I thought - I actually found it more interesting since the story in Metal Gear was so lame. It's got parts where you ride a motorcycle instead of walk around. The game starts out pretty plain, but the further you go in the more detailed it gets. Either pick it up used or rent it. I think it's less than spectacular, but any game that uses the name "Jack Slade" as the hero is going to be at least a little lame. I think it was originally intended for the Dreamcast too.
Old 06-20-02, 08:12 PM

Yeah, it's a good title but there are 2 complaints that I have with the gameplay. First of all is the way of gaining "experience" points. To reach certain points in the game you need to gain experience. The way to do this is by driving your motorcycle very fast and not hit anything. Then when you hit your target amount of points you can gain access to a certain part of the map. Um, okay. Then there's the VR training parts. These aren't extras like in Metal Gear, here they are required. Between each mission you gain a license for bigger cases. Like in Gran Turismo you must complete a bunch of objectives to get a license this can be hard and really takes you out of the focus of the game.

Okay, now onto the regular gameplay. The system is a cross between Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, and Winback. The stealth is a step back from MGS. The enemy AI is not nearly as smart or deep. You are given empty bullet casings to throw and distract enemies but it's not all that necessary. You can kill quietly by walking up to people's backs and snapping their necks. This can be dangerous as the same button movements are used to draw you gun and shoot. The gunfights are similar to Winback. You can duck behind boxes and walls and trade shots while your opponents do the same. Then there are Resident Evil type puzzles between all the stealth and fighting. Nothing really tough and mostly there to extend the length of the game. In fact, pretty much everything in the game was added to extend length. For example, the VR training, the motorcycle/experience system, the puzzle system, etc. None of these are really needed in the game, but they are there whether you like them or not.

Overall, Headhunter isn't a bad game. It's merely a fine example of mediocrity. It doesn't add anything to the genre. Instead, it blends previous tried and true elements from other games and puts them into one title. The result is a soild but underwhelming game.

I'll give it a 6 out of a 10.
Old 06-21-02, 12:07 AM

Another thumbs up from me. I was never a fan of Metal Gear Solid or Winback, and a casual fan of Resident Evil....but this game somehow manages to mix elements of all three games and keep me entertained. There's certainly some annoyances...the camera is not your friend, the 1st act of the game is easily the weakest, and the motorcycle can be a real beast to control. But the game is an absolute blast and some of the later levels, including a Running Man-style game show and a section where you play as another character to rescue the hero, are pretty ingenious.

For a more in-depth review, check out mine here:
http://www.assortedramblings.com/headhunter.html

Good luck!

Larry
www.AssortedRamblings.com
Old 06-21-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kick ass game if you play with the controls the game yields an uncanny depth.... I don't know Metal Gear I only know good action adventure games and this is one of the coolest I have played. Good voice acting and a cool system for advancing throughout the plotline. The poli satirical air that is lent to the whole production through news telecast is funny and unexpected (robocop type humor)
Really fun to play and intuitive with a complex control system that has several little tricks to it.

The above refers to the european DC version
Old 06-21-02, 02:43 AM

Anyone know where I can find a good strategy Guide for headhunter? I've got the DC version but i hear it's exactly the same as the ps2 version.
Cheers.