Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

does anyone play everquest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-02, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone play everquest?

is it hard? i just ordered the trilogy after some good reviews...but some people say its hard to learn and confusing...is it? any experience out there? is it like diablo? or more like d&d
Old 06-19-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You don't really play Everquest as a game, you play it more as a social gathering... it's rather repetitive all the way throughout (yet still highly addictive). It's not hard to play at all, any idiot can play, but it's harder to be good and master your class. Every class is played differently, it all varies in the job that class plays.

Let me know what class and type of play interests you, pure fighter, caster, hybrid, etc.. I'll give you a few more tips. You'd be surprised how much a difference in gameplay and role your class choice makes.

Also, if you are a role player (and mature), the server for you is Firiona Vie (probably has the oldest players)... it's hard since there are so few of us there, but it's the best server and the closest knit community. If you are a 16 year old and like to shout at your friends and have conversations yelling across the zone, then any server except Firiona Vie and the PVP servers are good for you. If you are 12 years old and love annoying people, causing grief and just being a general pain in the a**, then Sullon Zek is for you.

As for what's it like... it's nothing like Diablo and nothing like D&D... it plays more like a first person shooter than anything... although the fights are automatic, you just initiate them or defend. The game, especially lately, has tons of items and I mean TONS... it's probably impossible to find any 2 players equipped the same way on a server and there are over 12500 different items and more being invented/added/created daily.
Old 06-19-02, 04:33 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

No. Nobody plays Everquest.
Old 06-19-02, 05:01 PM

well i havent gotten the game yet...i was just curious as to the lasting appeal of the game because i plunked down about 30 bucks without first hand experience on it...usually i rent games or borrow others before i make a commitment...

the internet fee throws me off a bit...i dont think i will be plunking down 10 bucks or so to play online...most likely i will be playing single player...

but if you could give a few general tips like which class is easier or more fun to play with i would appreciate it...
Old 06-19-02, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by howthehell
...most likely i will be playing single player...
You might be a bit disappointed if that was your plan - to my knowledge, there is no non-Internet single-player mode in Everquest.
Old 06-19-02, 06:11 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

Originally posted by howthehell
well i havent gotten the game yet...i was just curious as to the lasting appeal of the game because i plunked down about 30 bucks without first hand experience on it...usually i rent games or borrow others before i make a commitment...

the internet fee throws me off a bit...i dont think i will be plunking down 10 bucks or so to play online...most likely i will be playing single player...

but if you could give a few general tips like which class is easier or more fun to play with i would appreciate it...
hey go get a refund now, you can download EQ free at Sony's FTP.

I was signed up for their newsletter and I got the game and a free month which I haven't tried yet.
Old 06-19-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played it for a couple months but I cancelled my subscription because I was hardly playing it. The game is fun but it takes a while to get used to. It helps a lot if you have RL buddies who play the game and are already experienced. My brother and his best friend were both high lvl characters (50+) and helped me with equipment and powerleveled me.
Old 06-20-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sadly i played once, till i relized what a complete waste of time it was
Old 06-20-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lasting appeal? I'm starting my 4th year of playing >
Old 06-20-02, 02:16 PM

theres no single player option at all without having to subscribe? is it the same for neverwinter nights and warcraft 3?
Old 06-20-02, 02:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Everquest is multiplayer only, must pay a monthly fee to play.

Warcraft 3 and Neverwinter Nights offer both singleplayer and mutliplayer modes with no monthly fee.

Note that these are three very very different games.
Old 06-20-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really don't know what they would do for a single player story in Everquest... it might work but would be near impossible...

If you want to play alone, you have to take a class who can do so... druid, wizard, monk, shadowknight, necro, magethose classes can play alone while others like warrior and cleric are not doable without groups.

Everquest isnt 10$ a month, its 13$ a month now too... but thats the general fee for any mmorpg's now...