Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Comp USA $19.99 Sale on XBOX Games

Originally posted by blaineo
4 x=XBOX GAmes $19.99ea at COMP USA til 6/15
AMPED
Night Caster
NFL Fever-Great Game
NBA Inside Drive
If it's like most compusa sales, they will have 2 copies of each game. Unless you can be there at 5:00am, dont bother. Even if I could be there that early, I wouldnt give these bastards the business.
Old 06-09-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I went by and they had about 10 of each of these. Didn't seem to be too much interest in them. Amped is about the only one of the four I liked, but I really don't want a snowboard game so I passed.
Old 06-09-02, 06:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by darkside
I went by and they had about 10 of each of these. Didn't seem to be too much interest in them. Amped is about the only one of the four I liked, but I really don't want a snowboard game so I passed.
Amped rules! I order you to go back and by it. Don't you already own that piece of crap SS Tricky?
Old 06-09-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

Amped rules! I order you to go back and by it. Don't you already own that piece of crap SS Tricky?
No, I don't own Tricky. Give me a little credit.

I borrowed Amped for a couple of weeks from a friend and I liked it, but just didn't feel like buying it right now. I'm not the biggest snowboarding fan in the world, but I do agree that Amped is very good. I'm sure $19.99 will be the going price for it soon anyway. Amped 2 can't be that far from coming out.

I have too many games to play right now anyway. Tactics Orge on GBA has me totally absorbed right now and I'm sure Morrowind will be my next purchase.
Old 06-09-02, 09:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Wait for Amped 2 to come out, it should be great.
Old 06-09-02, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by darkside

Tactics Orge on GBA has me totally absorbed right now and I'm sure Morrowind will be my next purchase.
Where did you find Tactics Ogre? Every store I've called or visited is sold out I might break down and order it from the EB website.
Old 06-10-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I already have SSX Tricky. Is Amped worth buying?
Old 06-10-02, 01:01 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Trelach24
I already have SSX Tricky. Is Amped worth buying?
Yes, if you want a much better snowboarding game with much better graphics and customizable music.
Old 06-10-02, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And if you are expecting the fun, originality, and racing of SSX Tricky, pass on Amped.

It is funny that Amped fans always have to trash SSX when explaining why they liked Amped.

Doug
Old 06-10-02, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by blakwngbrd

Where did you find Tactics Ogre? Every store I've called or visited is sold out I might break down and order it from the EB website.
I asked the local EB Game World store to hold a copy for me when it came in. They finally got one copy in and called me. They said they have been getting them in one at a time about every two or three weeks. I know one of the guys that works there and that was the way I got it held for me.

I don't understand why the game is so scarse, but it is definitely the best Tactics RPG I have played. Its better than FF Tactics and Shining Force III in my opinion. The graphics are not quite as fancy as those since its on a handheld, but the gameplay is far superior. The storyline branches in many directions and its obvious it will have to be played through several times to see all the storyline options. Plus the Quest mode is a nice bonus.

Sorry to take the topic off the subject of $19.99 Xbox games.
Old 06-10-02, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Doug Schiller
And if you are expecting the fun, originality, and racing of SSX Tricky, pass on Amped.

It is funny that Amped fans always have to trash SSX when explaining why they liked Amped.

Despite the winking smilie, I'll reply to this seriously...

SSX is a racing game on snowboards. Amped is a snowboarding game. (And an excellent one... it's the Tony Hawk of snowboarding games currently.)

Perhaps that's why Amped lovers always refer to SSX. SSX is a tremendously well-known franchise for just being two years old, so unless the differences are pointed out (in a harsh way or not), others may think it plays the same.
Old 06-10-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking about getting Amped for $20, but now I'm not so sure. The reviews seem to indicate that it takes a lot of patience to master the controls. I'm not trying to poop on the game, but it looks like it's one that will take a while to master. That can be good or bad, depending on your point of view. I don't think I'd have the patience.
Old 06-10-02, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Gromit
I was thinking about getting Amped for $20, but now I'm not so sure. The reviews seem to indicate that it takes a lot of patience to master the controls. I'm not trying to poop on the game, but it looks like it's one that will take a while to master. That can be good or bad, depending on your point of view. I don't think I'd have the patience.
Any review saying that about the control (Gamespot comes to mind) can almost objectively be considered incorrect.
Old 06-10-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ques: Was this a Comp USA advetised sale?
Old 06-10-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ques: Was this a Comp USA advetised sale?

Answ: Yes
Old 06-11-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's odd. My friend saw the sign for the sold out NFL fever, it said unadvertised price 19.99. Well he was able to snag it (sign) and took it to Best Buy and got the NFL Fever there for $18. Price match plus 10 % ? i think? Anyways that was a steal. I will try tommorow.
Old 06-11-02, 01:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

Doug

SSX was majorly hyped when I first heard of it. I rented it and I was royally disappointed. I can't believe anyone likes it. The speed is slow, the graphics are bad, the game is awful. Not even going to get into the lame dialogue and characters or the worthless tricks they do or the overly-used RunDMC theme song. I have no idea where its popularity comes from. It's a racing game? The snowboarders move like turtles. Sorry I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Tricky also out-sold Amped even on the Xbox. That's incomprehensible to me. That's why I bash Tricky while praising Amped, because apparently not enough people got the message. Fun and originality? Only after smoking a doobie or something. Ridiculous and annoying best describe it for me. I hate the stuttering frame rate too.

Amped is not an easy game to master, but it's easy to play. If you want to beat it, plan on putting a decent amount of time learning how to play it.

Put MANY great tunes in it (and I do mean a lot) and you'll be happy.

For $20 you can't go wrong.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 06-11-02 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-11-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SSX Tricky is a GREAT game... but so is Amped. Both have their ups and downs and deserve a place in a collection. SO, for $20, Amped is a nice purchase (and it is not that difficult).
Old 06-11-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me, they did everything right with SSX Tricky. If you want to score points with tricks, do the fantastic show off mode. Need to learn the tricks? Do the thorough tutorial. Replayability? Win the game with the different characters who all have different styles. Just want to ride down a mountain, do the untracked course. And the extras are something all games should include (i.e. making of documentary). The voice acting, AI, and levels are great in my mind. I loved SSX on the PS2, but enjoy SSX Tricky (Xbox) so much more.

I haven't played Amp and they are probably two different games. I would buy Amped but I'm too busy with other new games to give it a fair chance. Picked up Dave Mirra 2 for $17.99 and it captures the Tony Hawk element I'm looking for.

Doug
Old 06-11-02, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like Amped OR SSX! Just the thought of snowboarding makes me cold. I won't even go into those jet ski games. Why pay 50 bucks just to get all cold and wet?
Old 06-11-02, 03:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

I haven't played Amp and they are probably two different games.
Doug, what made you say this?: