Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Problem with X-box and DVD's Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with X-box and DVD's Please help

Hi,

Bought an X-box about 1 week ago, and I love it, but...

Has anyone had a problem getting theirs to read DVD's? I bought the UHF DVD yesterday, and it took forever for me to get it to read the disc. I almost always says that it cannot read the disc because it doesn't recognize it.

Is there a problem with the DVD on some of the systems? If so, I may exchange it at best buy tomorrow so I can play DVDs on it. I like to use it for DVDs so I can get 5.1 sound and use the S-video since I only have 1 S-video port on the TV and 1 digital coptical cable port on my stereo.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 06-03-02, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to make sure...you did buy the DVD kit right?

Arin
Old 06-03-02, 10:31 PM

Yeah, you need to get the xbox dvd movie playback kit
Like this one at amazon
Old 06-03-02, 10:42 PM

Yeah, I've got the DVD kit, with the official remote and the sensor... the problem is that the unit will not play the discs. The main disc that I've had a problem with is the UHF disc.

I really hate to have to exchange it because I will lose saved games and stuff, but I really hate to have a defective unit.
Old 06-03-02, 10:56 PM

You should make sure to try different discs in the Xbox and UHF in different players before you return anything.
It could just be the DVD, but who knows. Either way it is better to be sure.
Old 06-03-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
check the dvd out on another player. However make sure you do not wait on this. electronics typically start having problems right away if they are defective. take this XBox back if you are having problems playing other dvd's also the odds of getting two bad units in a row are very slim.

Do not take any chances.

Good Luck.
Old 06-03-02, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
check the dvd out on another player. However make sure you do not wait on this. electronics typically start having problems right away if they are defective. take this XBox back if you are having problems playing other dvd's also the odds of getting two bad units in a row are very slim.

Do not take any chances.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice....

I tried the DVD in my PS2 last night, and the PS2 worked fine.

Sometimes it works in the X-box, other times it doesn't.

I watched the movie with my wife last night on the X-box, and it played the whole thing. I was just trying to watch the special features today and it wouldn't even read the disc. Do you think this sounds like a player problem or a disc problem?

I am thinking about exchanging the system for a new one tomorrow if the system is the problem, since I believe that you can exchange for 14 days. I hate to push this too long, I just really do not know what to do.
Old 06-03-02, 11:27 PM

i have the same problem BUT with certain dvds only i have about 60 dvds in my small collection and 2 dvds will not play which are

SUPERGIRL LE
TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE

everything else works fine but those 2 would not even boot up but they would work on my ps2 and such!
Old 06-03-02, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by BBEANLPHIE
i have the same problem BUT with certain dvds only i have about 60 dvds in my small collection and 2 dvds will not play which are

SUPERGIRL LE
TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE

everything else works fine but those 2 would not even boot up but they would work on my ps2 and such!
Hmmm.... I just tried 5 other discs and they all loaded fine on the X-box.

I even got UHF to work this time... maybe in a day or so I'll start a thread asking others if they have any problems with UHF in their X-box. I would try these two movies, but I don't have them.
Old 06-04-02, 06:06 AM

Call xbox customer service, at least to notify them of your problem. Did you register? I had problems reading games and dvds, and ended up sending in my xbox. I got it back in three days, and haven't had a problem in two months.

I agree that you shouldn't wait to resolve this. If it's having problems playing stuff now, it'll have problems later.
Old 06-05-02, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Applejack

Hmmm.... I just tried 5 other discs and they all loaded fine on the X-box.

I even got UHF to work this time... maybe in a day or so I'll start a thread asking others if they have any problems with UHF in their X-box. I would try these two movies, but I don't have them.
If it sometimes plays the dvd and other times does not recognize the dvd this sounds like a problem with the unit not the dvd.

I would exchange it or get it repaired.

Problems get worse with time not better.
Old 06-05-02, 02:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

If it sometimes plays the dvd and other times does not recognize the dvd this sounds like a problem with the unit not the dvd.

I would exchange it or get it repaired.

Problems get worse with time not better.
Actually I disagree with this. It just sounds glitchy. Every DVD player I've owned was at least a little glitchy. Stick it out. At least wait until your instore warranty almost expires and see if it gets worse.

Go pick up a memory card at Kaybee toys for half price if you think you might take it back so you can back up your saves.

Also it's not a bad idea to get the warranty from where you bought it or else from Microsoft.
Old 06-05-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get it repaired/exchanged while it's still free. It sounds like a problem with your specific unit.

1) The DVD isn't scratched or damaged.
2) The DVD plays fine in other players.
3) Your X-Box plays the DVD SOME of the time.

This means it isn't the DVD's fault and it doesn't sound like some problem inherent in the X-Box with the UHF DVD. So, get your unit repaired or exchanged. I suggest the latter because with erratic problems like this, sometimes the repair guys won't see it or will think you're exaggerating since it plays most things just fine.

I had a similar problem with a DVD player and took it to be repaired. The technicians cheesed it off the first time and the problem remained, so we had to bring it back and insist they fix it again. They replaced the laser (or something like that) and now the problem is gone.
Old 06-05-02, 01:50 PM

It's an xbox problem from what I figured out.

One prime example is the Joy Ride DVD. There is a certain part in the movie where it'll mess up (freeze mostly). I tried it on another DVD player of mine and it worked fine.

But then I was like, what the hell, and exchanged the DVD just to see if the DVD was weird. I came back with a brand new Joy Ride and played it. Same thing.

The laser in the xbox dvd-rom is pretty weak.
Old 06-05-02, 03:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by khai
It's an xbox problem from what I figured out.

One prime example is the Joy Ride DVD. There is a certain part in the movie where it'll mess up (freeze mostly). I tried it on another DVD player of mine and it worked fine.

But then I was like, what the hell, and exchanged the DVD just to see if the DVD was weird. I came back with a brand new Joy Ride and played it. Same thing.

The laser in the xbox dvd-rom is pretty weak.

I rented Joy Ride and had a flawless disc, same thing happened to me!

I love my Xbox DVD player, maybe I should get the PS2 DVD kit w/updated drivers as a backup.
Old 06-05-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

I rented Joy Ride and had a flawless disc, same thing happened to me!

I love my Xbox DVD player, maybe I should get the PS2 DVD kit w/updated drivers as a backup.
try playing it without the updated drivers. I have heard that newer units might begin coming with the new drivers installed so maybe since your unit is newer it might not need the drivers. Although with the new lower price the remote alone might be worth the purchase price.
Old 06-05-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I disagree with this. It just sounds glitchy. Every DVD player I've owned was at least a little glitchy. Stick it out. At least wait until your instore warranty almost expires and see if it gets worse.

Go pick up a memory card at Kaybee toys for half price if you think you might take it back so you can back up your saves.

Also it's not a bad idea to get the warranty from where you bought it or else from Microsoft.
I would agree with you if it was consistently not playing right however sometimes playing and sometimes not seems more like a hardware issue not a software issue. with the main concern a weak dvd rom laser or a problem with any part of the dvd rom drive causing an issue down the line I think being safer is the best bet.
Old 06-05-02, 04:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

try playing it without the updated drivers. I have heard that newer units might begin coming with the new drivers installed so maybe since your unit is newer it might not need the drivers. Although with the new lower price the remote alone might be worth the purchase price.
Gary, no this happened on the Xbox! It was a very glitchy DVD some scenes it worked and some scenes it didn't. Seems to be pretty wide spread too. That's why I think UHF might be the same. Normally the Xbox is a DVD champ but sometimes it isn't perfect (like all DVD players from waht I've seen).

I imagine Joyride would work fine on the PS2.

Do you know what the updated DVD driver versions are? I can check out the drivers in the startup menu if you know the updated numbers.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gary, no this happened on the Xbox! It was a very glitchy DVD some scenes it worked and some scenes it didn't. Seems to be pretty wide spread too. That's why I think UHF might be the same. Normally the Xbox is a DVD champ but sometimes it isn't perfect (like all DVD players from waht I've seen).

I imagine Joyride would work fine on the PS2.

Do you know what the updated DVD driver versions are? I can check out the drivers in the startup menu if you know the updated numbers.

Thanks.
sorry I meant try playing it on the PS2 without the updated drivers. I knew the Xbox unit was the one with the glitch. I figured why spend 19.99 if it played on the PS2 without the dvd remote drivers installed
Old 06-05-02, 06:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

sorry I meant try playing it on the PS2 without the updated drivers. I knew the Xbox unit was the one with the glitch. I figured why spend 19.99 if it played on the PS2 without the dvd remote drivers installed
Ah I see. Do you have the updated drivers/DVD remote? Mind checking your numbers for me so I can check? Thanks
Old 06-06-02, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah I see. Do you have the updated drivers/DVD remote? Mind checking your numbers for me so I can check? Thanks
version 2.1 which is from the included dvd remote disc.
Old 06-06-02, 03:05 AM
Mod Emeritus

version 2.1 which is from the included dvd remote disc.
Cool, I think that's the same as the one I have: 2.10U.
Old 06-06-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, I think that's the same as the one I have: 2.10U.
that's it. so try your dvd and see if it plays. the remote would make it easier and it adds some functions however to just play a dvd the PS2 can do it without the remote.
Old 06-07-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All DVD players have problems playing some disc's,sometimes its the player sometimes its the disc,I have 150+ DVDs and only 1 wont play on my DVD player but plays fine on my PS2,Xbox laser is weak but its not that weak its stronger then the PS2s laser and PS2 handles DVDs like a champ.
Old 06-07-02, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I ended up taking it back and exchanging it. I was waiting until I beat Oddworld, and after I beat it, it was having disc read errors on the Oddworld disc. That was the final straw.

I went ahead and bought the 2 year replacement plan for $24.99. While I was out, I bought Halo, and a second controller at Kaybee. Even though the 50% off sale is over, I know a guy who works there and he gave me the 50% off anyway since they were out of them when I originally went a couple of weeks ago. $20 for an official X-box controller isn't bad at all IMHO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.