Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

IGN Insider/Gamespot Complete

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IGN Insider/Gamespot Complete

Anyone subscribe to either of these? I'm considering subscribing to one(it's 20 bucks a year for either one) but I'm not sure which one is better. Can anyone give me some info about them? Thanks
Old 05-31-02, 05:25 PM

Re: IGN Insider/Gamespot Complete

Originally posted by dfbennett
Anyone subscribe to either of these? I'm considering subscribing to one(it's 20 bucks a year for either one) but I'm not sure which one is better. Can anyone give me some info about them? Thanks
Well, I finally took the plunge last week and went with IGN. Why? Mainly because IGN tends to lock their new content for the first few days whereas Gamespot locks their content after it's been posted for a week. So, as long as you visit Gamespot once a week, you won't miss anything if you're not a subscriber (other than movies, which IGN usually has, as well). Otherwise, I haven't noticed much of a difference, so far. Hope that helps...
Old 05-31-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I subscribe to IGN. I like it alright and 20 bucks a year is no biggie for me.
Old 05-31-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went ahead and subscribed to IGN. I was sick of getting the insider login screen when I was viewing screenshots or videos. I'm a bit angry that there are still tons of ads even when you are an insider. Also, the videos don't seem to download fast at all. I'm on a fast cable modem but I keep getting like 35k downloads. Sometimes it dips below that or just doesn't work at all. Oh well, perhaps I'll fire off a few angry emails. I wonder if Gamespot is any better. Oh well.
Old 05-31-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will stick to free sites. I figure the more I spend on info the less I have for games. what real insider info could they really get anyway- early screenshots?

I really have no interest in that. I figure I do not want to pay to have a developer hype me on a game based on screenshots when all I care about is gameplay.

could someone explain what info they get that makes the $20 worth it?
Old 05-31-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I went with Gamespot mostly for the videos. They now added high-res videos and guarantee at least 100k downloads, and so far I have gotten at least that.
Old 06-01-02, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I will stick to free sites. I figure the more I spend on info the less I have for games. what real insider info could they really get anyway- early screenshots?

I really have no interest in that. I figure I do not want to pay to have a developer hype me on a game based on screenshots when all I care about is gameplay.

could someone explain what info they get that makes the $20 worth it?
For me it's not so much the screenshots and early reviews. I went with Insider because I like the writing style of their editors better than other sites, and Insider is actually mostly features and editorials. More screens and movies are ok, but I just really enjoy all the content they put out. It's worth $20 a year to me.
Old 06-01-02, 10:05 AM

I subscribed to both because I want to see IGN's locked new content and sometimes I look at Gamespot's locked archived content.
Old 06-01-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hated IGN's subscription service, only because when it first came online it was nothing but opinions and editorials - no substance. IGN's free service was the pits too - nothing but pop-up ads and poor page layout.

In the past year I switched to Gamespot for their free service, and subscribed to Complete just before E3. I really like Gamespot's videos and especially their video reviews. It's nice to see game footage compliment what the reviewer is referencing in the game.

Gamespot offers a lot of nice extras, like user reviews and the Game Buyer service. I'd say go with Gamespot, but that's my personal preference.
Old 06-01-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I signed up for Gamespot as well. Less than $2 a month is worth it for the content and for the lack of annoying ads.