Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's Sega thinking???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Sega thinking???

Just heard that Sonic Adventure 3 is coming to GCN AND X-box. WTF??!! If Shenmue isn't coming to GCN, why is Sonic going to X-box? Wasn't Sonic exclusive? (And isn't the x-box not doing very well at ALL in Japan??? (I think I heard something about the Wonderswan outselling x-box for a week in Japan)) Can someone explain what's going on????

Last edited by Chaos; 05-28-02 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-28-02, 02:36 PM

Sonic coming to Xbox?? SA-WEEEET! Where did you get this from?
Old 05-28-02, 02:42 PM

Got it from this weeks issue of www.segaworldweekly.com

Last edited by Chaos; 05-28-02 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-28-02, 02:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Nintendo and Sega were once bitter enemies. MS on the other hand is taking very good care of Sega.
Old 05-28-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Nintendo and Sega were once bitter enemies. MS on the other hand is taking very good care of Sega.
MS may be taking good care of Sega, but from what I've read, none of the XBOX Sega games have sold particularly well. Compare that to Sonic 2 and SMB on the GameCube, which have sold boatloads.
Old 05-28-02, 03:06 PM

I think that Sega sports for Xbox has a lot of competition, EA, MS. But I think Sega would clean up if it brought Sonic to Xbox. How many other quirky games are out there right now for the Xbox aside from Crash Bandicoot and Munch's Oddyssey?
Old 05-28-02, 03:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by joeblow69

MS may be taking good care of Sega, but from what I've read, none of the XBOX Sega games have sold particularly well. Compare that to Sonic 2 and SMB on the GameCube, which have sold boatloads.
That's fine and good, but now they will sell more Sonics with the game going to Xbox. What's wrong with that?
Old 05-28-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If sega was smart, they'd make their games almost completely cross platform. Without going into the merits of developing for one system over another, if you make the game available to more people more people are likely to buy it. That's why I don't understand them marketing certain titles at certain systems. I realize Shenmue isn't a huge franchise, but why shut out Cube, PS2, hell even US dreamcast owners from being able to play the sequel? MS must have given Sega a boatload of money for that one. Same thing with Toejam and Earl. That game seems like it goes with Sega's attitude toward GC games (bizarre or off kilter like SMB). Oh well, just my theory.
Old 05-28-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't see the problem. The more consoles the better. Sonic is a big franchise and I'm surprised there is no PS2 release as well.
Old 05-28-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's going on is Sega needs money. Don't take it personally.
Old 05-28-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How can they recreate the GBA portion of the game? I had a blast with that.
Old 05-28-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's fine and good, but now they will sell more Sonics with the game going to Xbox. What's wrong with that?
If the only goal was to sell more games then they'd put Shenmue on the Cube too. That's what's wrong.
Old 05-28-02, 07:09 PM

Chances are Shenmue will go to the Cube eventualy.
Just like Sonic 2 eventualy went to the Cube.

Microsoft prolly payed Sega money equal to its projected profits from Shenmue on Cube in order to have the title exclusively. (boosting X-box system sales)

Plus Nintindo can be really pissy when it comes to dealing with 3rd party developers.
AAAAANNNDDDD
Sega may still be sore from being Nintindo's long time competitor, but not likely.

And who knows, maybe *snikker* the X-Box's hardware can do things that Gamecube can't and Shenmue2 needs. *snikker* Like Ohhhhhh I duno.... built in braodband and harddrive and MP3 recording/playing.
Shenmue games are known for having a moutian of extras. I imagine with the X-box hardware you'll be able to create your own MP3 playlist from your own MP3s to listen to in-game. The X-box manual talks about it being possible.
ALSO wasnt Shenmue1 made with internet stuff? Like ratings and downloads from the website (cheesy yes, but still there). If this is the case then maybe Sega doesn't want to rely on the Gamecube to develop a relieable braodband system, the X-box already has one.
(Wasn't Sega working with Microsoft on the X-box's broadband stuff???)

Seems to me that the X-Box is the wiser choice if you had to pick just one system to work on. Especialy if its going to be a demanding game.

On that note, I love RE: Gamecube.
Old 05-30-02, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by BrinStar
Chances are Shenmue will go to the Cube eventualy.
Just like Sonic 2 eventualy went to the Cube.
Sonic 2 started on the Cube when Sega's hardware died-------Shenmue started on the X-box when Sega's hardware died. Sonic is going to x-box, but Shenmue isn't coming to cube.

What kind of game is Sega playing? I really hope it comes back and bites them in the @ss.
Old 05-30-02, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shenmue games are known for having a moutian of extras.
They could have had all sorts of extra tie-ins with the GBA and Triforce arcade hardware if they wanted to.

ALSO wasnt Shenmue1 made with internet stuff? Like ratings and downloads from the website (cheesy yes, but still there). If this is the case then maybe Sega doesn't want to rely on the Gamecube to develop a relieable braodband system, the X-box already has one.
Why would they be reliant on broadband? The DC's network was completely 56k.
Old 05-30-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Chaos
Sonic 2 started on the Cube when Sega's hardware died-------Shenmue started on the X-box when Sega's hardware died. Sonic is going to x-box, but Shenmue isn't coming to cube.
This is actually really easy to explain. On the Cube, Shenmue would need multiple discs, probably at least 3. Yes, Capcom brought out Resident Evil on 2 discs, but I doubt many companies want to go the multiple disc route.

As for the oddball games, I would say that Sega is giving MS a lot of oddball (or niche) games: Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue, JSRF, Gunvalkyrie, etc. I personally think Sega is brilliant in their strategy on all platforms. Many game companies/developers are going this way with exclusivity on 1 or 2 consoles instead of a cross-platform (all 3) design. More than any other time I can think of you really need to (if possible) have all 3 consoles to have the best choice of games.

Chaos, let's be truthful here...the only reason you are mad is because you do not have an X-Box. And let's face it, MS is paying Sega good money to make games for their system. They are thinking (correctly) that the Sega faithful will jump on the X-Box platform over the other platforms. Sega is the second greatest game maker out there next to Nintendo (my opinion). Nintendo is a different beast than Microsoft when it comes to 3rd party support. They are a bit more stringent.

We could branch this off to other topics: Why is the PS2 getting the next game in the proper Phantasy Star series? I'm sure a Nights sequel is coming...will it be X-Box only? etc.
Old 05-30-02, 11:06 AM
Banned

I got XBOX and am a Sega-faithful, so if this is true about Sonic coming to XBox, then my problems are solved! I was considering Gamecube just for Sonic, but if it comes to XBox, only 1 system for me.

(different story if NiGHTS goes to PS2 or Gamecube, and then my hand will be forced, but hopefully if there ever is a new NiGHTS, it goes to Xbox)

-Jim
Old 05-30-02, 12:03 PM

It isn't a "sore" issue with Sega. Sonic is their money making mascot and it'll be insane for them not to go multi-platform with him. Don't forget the Cube is getting the Virtua Fighter RPG, and the Sega developed F-Zero arcade/console project.
Old 05-30-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have Shenmue II for the Dreamcast and believe me it could easilly be ported to any system. The Xbox is more powerful excuse is garbage. If it works on the DC it would work on the Game Cube.

The reason its not being ported to Game Cube is probably due to Microsoft paying to get it exclusive and more importantly the fact its a niche title. Its not going to be a big seller and its really a game for adults. Hence, the Xbox is probably the perfect console for it. Sonic has mass appeal and the more systems its on the better it is for Sega.

Another thing to consider is that Sega is trying to give every console exclusives. They are not really playing favorites with anyone and Game Cube has gotten some of the best exclusives so far.

World Series Baseball not coming to the Game Cube or PS2 is a much bigger loss than the mediocre Shenmue II.

Last edited by darkside; 05-30-02 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 05:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

I have the feeling Sega enjoys being in their position instead of running a console. It wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo join them in the next generation.
Old 05-30-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by YujiNaka
I got XBOX and am a Sega-faithful, so if this is true about Sonic coming to XBox, then my problems are solved! I was considering Gamecube just for Sonic, but if it comes to XBox, only 1 system for me.

(different story if NiGHTS goes to PS2 or Gamecube, and then my hand will be forced, but hopefully if there ever is a new NiGHTS, it goes to Xbox)

-Jim
Yes! i have so been waiting for a next gen NIGHTS. I kept my saturn just for that. I'm such the sega fan girl, so I had to get all 3 consoles just to keep with my obsession. For folks like me, (yes i know there few) it doesn't matter which console gets what title. It works out in the end, as long as the whichever console gets it can handle the port best.
example, I had a real issue with VF4 on the ps2. (dont slam yet) as much as a hate the xbox controls, i have the ps2 jaggies more. IMO vf4 would have looked better graphic wise on the xbox. hell i think it would have looked good on the gcn as well...
just my thoughts

Last edited by squidget; 05-30-02 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I have the feeling Sega enjoys being in their position instead of running a console. It wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo join them in the next generation.
I doubt it. There's a big difference. The difference is that Sega reported having losses each quarter consistantly and was desperate for money. They had no choice but to go 3rd party because they were losing money with their console where Microsoft shelled out plenty of money for exclusive titles. Nintendo on the other had has turned up a profit for the past 2 years straight. I can't remember the link but someone posted it here. Nintendo also said they didn't need money even when microsoft tried to buy them out so they must be doing fairly well. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do as consumers to decide where sega puts its games so I'll try to get them when I have the money.
Old 05-30-02, 06:29 PM

Sega and MS have been close for a while now. Just look at DC, the OS it runs on is Windows CE. Also before XBOX's release Seaga and MS had been talking often, many even thought that XBOX would be some sort of co-op system. Not very suprising to see favorites played, but I would like to see some of these titles for PS2. GC shouldn't worry about exclusives either they have one of Sega's best new titles all to themselfs, Super Monkey Ball.
Old 05-30-02, 09:36 PM
Banned

It's not coming to PS2! DAMN!
Old 05-30-02, 10:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: What's Sega thinking???

Originally posted by Chaos
Just heard that Sonic Adventure 3 is coming to GCN AND X-box.
Just to clarify...you meant 3, right? Any other details on the game other than the platforms it'll be released for?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.