Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MOH:AA vs RTCW

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOH:AA vs RTCW

I'm tired of running through the demos. I think I'm ready to put some money down. So, my question is which game offers more replayability. I know the MOH:AA single player is good, but how is the multiplayer? I know the RTCW single player isn't as good as MOH:AA, but it's multiplayer is a lot of fun. I think I'm leaning more towards good multiplayer experience (i.e. objective-based maps more than free-for-alls). So, which is it? And any good deals on these?
Old 05-28-02, 12:53 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't played RTCW multiplayer, but I have played MOH:AA multiplayer, and I was very pleased. Now that new player-designed maps are being released, I can only see MOH:AA multiplayer getting better.
Old 05-28-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RTCW is a great single player game....and a so-so multiplayer. Its slower paced and deliberate single player with the occasional blood bath. Multiplayer is way to fast paced and just plain difficult at times. Very little team play from what I've seen. Just spray and pray alot of times.

MOH:AA is a so-so single player and a great great multiplayer. The single player is actually very difficult and frustrating at times. The sniper level made me want to pull my hair out. The multiplayer is great. Like Cling said...more and more custom maps are coming out and with the other modifications: Blood mods, custom gun and clothes skins you can always find something more to make it better.

I've changed the HUD in my MOH:AA, the compass look the gun looks, the sounds of the game....all with simple downloads.

I bought both. I loved the RTCW single player...and plan on doing it all over again soon...but you'll find me on MOH:AA multiplayer every so often

Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-29-02, 12:43 AM

Not to be a wet blanket but everyhing five -o said, only revrsed. I loved MOHAA single player. RTCW was blah. Enjoy RTCW multi much more. I can trade or sell you RTCW cheap.
Old 05-29-02, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will give drexel some credit. RTCW multiplayer has its good points. The use of engineers is a great idea along with medics and lt's for ammo.

I guess I never really played MP RTCW enough to see a great team play game. I tried to...but people just seemed to want to run and gun.
Old 05-29-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agree with Drexel. I love RTCW multiplayer but didn't really like the single player. I don't think it's too fast paced. In fact, that's my only criticism of MOHAA multiplayer; it's toooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. Maybe it's just my video card or something, but being used to a lot of fps games, MOHAA is just too slow for me to get into. y o u f e e l l i k e t h i s while playing.

Back to RTCW, it's a little difficult at first but it's quite easy to be skilled at it. I disagree with the spray and pray comment as well. I think it's evident that that is not true simply because the experts are A LOT better than normal players (which in my opinion wouldn't really hold true if everything was just a fast paced shooting frenzy). Also, like any other multiplayer game, there are good servers and crappy servers. Just server-hop until you find a server with a decent amont of teamwork and you'll be fine.
Old 05-29-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I bit the bullet and bought MOH at CompUSA. The single player experience is pretty intense. Operation Overloard, need I say more? As for the multiplayer, I haven't been able to really get into it. It's a pain in the arse going through GameSpy. I really prefer the in-game server options in RTCW and SOF2. It makes server-hopping much faster. I will probably ebay MOH after I get bored with it and buy a used copy of RTCW.

Oh, as for MOH, it does seem slower. Not the speed, but the overall pace of the multiplayer games. Not at all intense like the RTCW multiplayer demo.
Old 05-29-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by quietsoul
Well, I bit the bullet and bought MOH at CompUSA. The single player experience is pretty intense. Operation Overloard, need I say more? As for the multiplayer, I haven't been able to really get into it. It's a pain in the arse going through GameSpy. I really prefer the in-game server options in RTCW and SOF2. It makes server-hopping much faster. I will probably ebay MOH after I get bored with it and buy a used copy of RTCW.

Oh, as for MOH, it does seem slower. Not the speed, but the overall pace of the multiplayer games. Not at all intense like the RTCW multiplayer demo.
If you get the latest patch from EA, there is an in-game browser. It still uses the gamespy network, but you don't have to quit out of MOHAA to change servers.
Old 05-29-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both were really good in single player.......I don't really care too much about the multiplayer options.

I tried MOHAA multiplayer once and all it was, was a bunch of morons running around with rocket launchers. They should restrict the weapons that you can use.....

Last edited by JaxComet; 05-29-02 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-29-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by JaxComet
Both were really good in single player.......I don't really care too much about the multiplayer options.

I tried MOHAA multiplayer once and all it was, was a bunch of morons running around with rocket launchers. They should restrict the weapons that you can use.....
Some servers do. They usually mention it in the name of the server.
Old 05-29-02, 09:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by quietsoul

Definitely patch your game, and also download The All-Seeing Eye @ http://www.udpsoft.com/eye/. A great little browser that is much easier (IMO) to use than GameSpy.
Old 05-29-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And be sure to check out the MOH:AA thread at: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=195408