So, I picked up RE : Cube yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I picked up RE : Cube yesterday

Very scary **** indeed.

Just wanted to chime in my .02.

I'm dying left and right, b/c of how many ways they changed the mansion, and put in new surprises/strategies.

I'm gonna be playing this game for a long time I think...

yeah, I know this came out awhile ago, I just didn't have the cash back then
Old 05-25-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it Tuesday when I bought a Gamecube. The atmosphere is great, and the graphics are awesome, but I'm having trouble getting into it. The controls suck. I don't understand why they didn't give them analog movement, like in Devil May Cry. The monsters are coming after me, and I'm running into walls. They changed everything else. Why didn't they change that?

I'm going to try some of the alternate control schemes, and switch to easy mode, and see if I can get into it more.
Old 05-25-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got this with the Xbox Spiderman and havent even started it yet. But tonight is girls night out in the Jolt household so I got the house to myself to turn off the lights and turn up the volume.

Never played the original, I started the RE0 version for the N64 wayback but the control scheme annoyed me and I returned it, so it will all be new to me.
Old 05-25-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
Never played the original, I started the RE0 version for the N64 wayback but the control scheme annoyed me and I returned it, so it will all be new to me.
You had RE0 and you returned it!! you could have ebayed it for millions!! The N64 version is rare
Old 05-25-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL!

I've always hated the RE control scheme but I have to admit that it does make things scarier when you know you can't make a smooth getaway. For those having problems I suggest control scheme C. I've almost come to enjoy playing the game that way.
Old 05-25-02, 04:53 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
Well, assuming you had RE2 for the N64 (no way you had RE0- right?), you could have changed the control scheme to Type D (I believe that's the one), and the game would have had "Mario 64" style controls... Left is left, right is right, so on and so forth. I would advise you to check out the N64 version of that game again, as it is my favorite solely because of that feature.

Also, anyone who could not get into RE for GC immediately, you are not alone. It took me a while to do so too, but before you know it, you'll be playing every minute of the day, and won't ever think twice about the controls.
Old 05-25-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't open the front door! AHHHHHHHH!
Old 05-25-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
LOL!

I've always hated the RE control scheme but I have to admit that it does make things scarier when you know you can't make a smooth getaway. For those having problems I suggest control scheme C. I've almost come to enjoy playing the game that way.
Yeah, because your damn character lurches around slower than the zombies. There's nothing good to say about running into a wall and taking ten seconds to turn 45 degrees while they're chasing you. It's just annoying.
Old 05-26-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well it's been stated that that designer put it in because it does in fact make the game scarier, but I just think it makes it more annoying. Who moves like that? I feel like I'm steering a car.
Old 05-26-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ever see a horror movie? No one ever makes a quick escape.
Old 05-26-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume it must have been RE2 I had for less than a day for the N64?

I played this game from about 10 last night until about 4am. The control did bug me for a while but I got used to it. Sweet. I think Im gonna go back to it now.
Old 05-26-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I for one have never had a problem with the RE control scheme. I just think of it as I'm the character. If I want to walk forward I press up. Having said that, I find that the controls are better on the PS2/PSX versions simply due to the design of the controller. The analog stick is a bit tricky to use and using the D pad isn't very comfortable on the cube controller. I may pickup a dual shock/cube adapter cable just for this game. So far, I've noticed alot of differences. Granted, I've not played the original RE since 1998 but there are definitely some areas that are completely new to me. Also, it seems alot harder than the PSX/PS2/DC incarnations of the RE series. Health, ammo, and ink ribbons are more abundant, but you take more damage and use more bullets when dealing with the enemies(I'm playing on easy). Either way I'm enjoying the game alot.
Old 05-26-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just beat this game a few days ago. An awsome friggin game. I am going to end up picking up RE 2 for my DC so I can play through that. I never finished Nemesis for my DC though.
Old 05-26-02, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The controls aren't so bad once you get used to them (well, this is coming from someone who's played almost all of the REs). I haven't played the GC RE yet because, well, I don't have a GC. Is there a 180 turn feature like there was in RE:CV? (I believe it was also in RE: Nemesis, but I'm not 100% sure about that).
Old 05-26-02, 06:22 PM

Is there a 180 turn feature like there was in RE:CV?
Yes, there is.
Old 05-26-02, 08:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Use control type "C." It's a lot better than the default.

Also, the 180 turn is your friend. Get in the habit of using it, even when you don't have to (like turning around at a dead end), so that when an emergency comes it will come automatically.

I had a hard time with the controls at first myself, but eventually learned to use and understand them.
Old 05-27-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Use control type "C." It's a lot better than the default.

Also, the 180 turn is your friend. Get in the habit of using it, even when you don't have to (like turning around at a dead end), so that when an emergency comes it will come automatically.

I had a hard time with the controls at first myself, but eventually learned to use and understand them.
C was interesting for me. I tried it but ultimately found that I prefer the classic RE control style. Now if only the GC controller had a decent sized and properly placed D pad I'd be in business
Old 05-27-02, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by cartman
Don't open the front door! AHHHHHHHH!
Didn't they teach you to put SPOILERS! Now I know the whole story and wont be fun playing this game
Old 05-27-02, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dfbennett

C was interesting for me. I tried it but ultimately found that I prefer the classic RE control style. Now if only the GC controller had a decent sized and properly placed D pad I'd be in business
Yeah. That pad is awful. I was planning to buy Soul Calibur 2 for the Gamecube, but I may end up getting the PS2 version instead because of the controller.

I also wish the C stick was a full sized control stick. Gamespot mentioned something in their coverage about the Gamecube controller being better than the dual shock for shooting games, but the writer must have been on crack. The two sticks on the dual shock and the 4 shoulder buttons are probably the next best thing to a mouse and keyboard.

I love the R and L triggers, though.
Old 05-27-02, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: So, I picked up RE : Cube yesterday

Originally posted by Thunderball
yeah, I know this came out awhile ago, I just didn't have the cash back then
Seems like you're either buying something expensive or begging for spare change... perhaps you need to have someone help you plan out a budget. I hope you're not getting yourself into credit card debt...
Old 05-27-02, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see how people can bitch about the Cube's D-pad. It's true it's not in the perfect position but the stick has to go there. The PS2 has it all backwards because they put the less important D-pad in the good spot and the all-important stick in a crappy spot. As for the size of the D-pad, isn't it the same size as the GBA's? It seems like a reasonable size to me. Plus, unlike the PS2, it's very easy to push the exact correct direction with the Cube's stick so there's really no reason to use D-pad.
Old 05-27-02, 09:27 AM
Retired

I don't see how people can bitch about the Cube's D-pad. It's true it's not in the perfect position but the stick has to go there. The PS2 has it all backwards because they put the less important D-pad in the good spot and the all-important stick in a crappy spot.
Exactly. You have to be on crack to used digital control for anything other than fighting games anyway. Analog is so much better. It's beyond me why anyone would want to use the d-pad in Resident Evil. The only thing I've used the d-pad for since launch is issue commands to the wingmen in Rogue Leader. Personally I hope digital control dies off totally and developers find a way to make all genres work with the analog sticks. Super Smash Bros. Melee proved this is possible. Just eliminate the long, complicated directional combos required to pull of moves and the problems solved. The skill should come from knowing how and when to use the moves anyway, not how dexterious you thumbs are.

As for the size of the D-pad, isn't it the same size as the GBA's? It seems like a reasonable size to me.
I have to disagree here, the D-pad on the GC controller and the GBA is much too small. It will be a real problem with Soul Calibur 2, assuming that it's not playable with the analog stick.

Plus, unlike the PS2, it's very easy to push the exact correct direction with the Cube's stick so there's really no reason to use D-pad.
Very true. It works well in SSB:M so there's hope that it will work well with all fighters.
Old 05-27-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Exactly. You have to be on crack to used digital control for anything other than fighting games anyway. Analog is so much better. It's beyond me why anyone would want to use the d-pad in Resident Evil. The only thing I've used the d-pad for since launch is issue commands to the wingmen in Rogue Leader. Personally I hope digital control dies off totally and developers find a way to make all genres work with the analog sticks. Super Smash Bros. Melee proved this is possible. Just eliminate the long, complicated directional combos required to pull of moves and the problems solved. The skill should come from knowing how and when to use the moves anyway, not how dexterious you thumbs are.

If a game requires digital control, a digital pad is better than an analog stick. Resident Evil has digital control. That's why you have a run button, instead of having run and walk both on the stick. The pad is much more responsive to games with digital control.

With fighters, this is especially true. Fighting games require precision taps that are pretty easy to perform on a D-pad, but very hard to perform using a stick. A fairly easy "forward-forward-attack" move would probably be very difficult to get off on an analog stick.

Smash Bros. is a fun game, but it's hardly a deep or strategic fighter like Tekken, Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur. Characters have A and a direction, 4 B attacks, a throw, and 4 attacks in the air. Its platform elements make it the perfect fighting game for analog control, and the unique characteristics of the levels are neat, and add longevity to the game, but I don't think anyone would hope for Soul Calibur to be more like Smash Bros and less like Virtua Fighter.
Old 05-27-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For one the game never ment to be a Horror game,it ment to be Scary or Spooky,Capcom claims they dont want to change the controls other wise it will be a diffrent game,Devil May Cry was RE4 but it was to diffrent so they revamped into a diffrent game,REs are laim now bigger and better things out there.
Old 05-27-02, 02:55 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with everything josh said...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.