Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?
Gamecube
31.15%
Playstation 2
21.31%
X-box
40.98%
Playstation 2 and Gamecube
0%
Playstation 2 and X-box
1.64%
Gamecube and X-box
3.28%
Playstation 2, X-box and Gamecube
1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?

Originally posted by joshd2012

There was report of a deal at EB inwhich you would get $100 off if you trade in a PS1/N64/DC with 10 games.
My brother did this deal the other day. Basically, you just need the console, one controller and ten games (all from the same system) and you'll get $100 off any of the three systems. You would probably be better off selling the peripherals on ebay or trading them though, they will only give you $3 credit for controllers and $1 for anything else (memory cards, rumble packs etc.).

Also, to answer the original question, I picked up a Gamecube saturday night.
Old 05-27-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
XBox + GCN = 90 percent of the killer games (for me)

PS2 + GCN = 90 percent of the killer games (for me)
For me too.

If you pair a Cube with either a Box or a PS2 thats where youre gonna get the most bang for your buck.
Old 05-28-02, 11:22 AM
Retired

Re: Re: What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?

Originally posted by the aftermath

Question: What was the deal that went down? As well as the DC How many games did you turn in to get a PS2? And how much did you end up paying?
If you're going to trade or sell the DC, do it fast. It will only lose value as the year goes on as it's a dead system.

As for the deal, I traded the DC system, two third party controllers a VMU, six DC games, 2 N64 games and got $113 credit at Babbages.

The PS2 and Memory Card and Gran Turismo 3 added up to $130 something after tax and minus the credit.
Old 05-28-02, 11:27 AM

Well I picked up a PS2 the day of the price drop. I brought some dvd's and games and got the PS2 for $149. I picked up Maximo, FFX, MGS2 used and GTA3 new. I did not care for MGS2 and traded it in for Baldur's Gate. FFX took a while for me to get into, but now after 20 hours I'm really into it. I easily beat Baldur's Gate, and I'm in the 2nd part of GTA3. I like the PS2 as a 2nd dvd player it has some good 1 player games, but it really lacks some good multiplayer games and the fact I need a multitap is disappointing. But a PS2 and a GC is almost perfection. GC=good multiplayer for me and my son. PS2=good late night gaming for me.
Old 05-28-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought myself an X-Box as I've been wanting to get Munch's Oddyssee since it was supposed to come out for the PS2 (one of the main reasons for my getting a PS2), plus I've been wanting to try it out for a while, and $199 is just the right price
Old 05-28-02, 12:43 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

XBox + GCN = 90 percent of the killer games (for me)

PS2 + GCN = 90 percent of the killer games (for me)
Yep, those are the only two system combos to go with IMO. If you can only afford two systems, it's silly to get an X-box and a PS2 IMO, as there is a good bit of overlap there.

Well, I guess for those odd balls that hate Nintendo games, and/or have to have blood, gore, tits, etc. in their games it would be the way to go.

As for the Xbox/GCN or Xbox/PS2 combo, people just need to look at the exclusives available on each system, and pick the two that give them the most games they want to play, again assuming they can't afford all three.

I already had a GCN, so it was between the PS2 and X-box for me.

PS2 had GT3, GTA3, FFX, MGS2, Devil May Cry, Maximo, etc. out, and games like Shinobi, Rygar, future FFs etc. coming. The Dual Shock was also a plus, as I prefer smaller controllers. Cons where it being the least powerful of the three systems, and being out a year earlier, support will likely end a year sooner as the PS3 will likely be out a year before MS's next offering.

Xbox has Halo and World Series Baseball, and some interesting possibilities in the future like Panzer Dragoon Orta and other Sega games. Plus it's the best hardware with the HD and ported games usually look the best on the X-box. A big con for me was the controller as I hate the original, and would have to shell out money for a Type-S, which is still far from perfect as the button layout is less than stellar.

In the end I went with the PS2 because it simply has more games I want, mainly as a result of having full support from Japanese third parties, and I generally greatly prefer Japanese developed games. The controller also swayed me toward the PS2, and the Hard Drive was pretty much a non issue as I don't think I'd trust it enough to not buy a memory card. The Modem/Ethenet card was a non-issue as well as I have zero interest in online gaming, and no access to broadband, and would never use it anyway.
Old 05-28-02, 03:16 PM

I've had a gamecube in my hand about twice since the price drops, but haven't gone all the way. I just got an XBox in February and am having too much fun with it right now...maybe in December when the holidays come around.

I'm not even thinking of getting a ps2, so it's either gamecube or nothing.
Old 05-28-02, 03:17 PM

First went to Blockbuster to pick up PP Games of HALO and OBI WAN for X-Cube, MAXIMO and JAK and DAXTER for PS2.

Price matched Wal Mart prices at the Air Base near where I live to avoid 9% sales taxe.

A good chunk of money spent.

Raven
Old 05-28-02, 05:00 PM

Just bought an x-box along with the S-controller, advanced av-pack, dvd playback kit and Halo. With the price drop and the fact I need a dvd-player I couldn't resist. I'm amazed at the graphics and the dolby digital sound, my roommate had to work this morning but we just kept saying "one more game..." up til' the wee hours of the morning. He has a Ps2, but it won't be getting much play now that x-box is in the house!
Old 06-05-02, 08:23 PM
Retired

Up due to some new "I just bought..." threads.
Old 06-06-02, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by elshagon
Just bought an x-box along with the S-controller, advanced av-pack, dvd playback kit and Halo. With the price drop and the fact I need a dvd-player I couldn't resist. I'm amazed at the graphics and the dolby digital sound, my roommate had to work this morning but we just kept saying "one more game..." up til' the wee hours of the morning. He has a Ps2, but it won't be getting much play now that x-box is in the house!
I've got almost the exact same stuff as you do, except for the advanced av pack. Halo is great! And I also needed a dvd player so it works out all around. I've gotta get some more games for my upcoming birthday in a couple weeks
Old 06-07-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I traded in a few games and bought a GC and packed it away for when Metroid:Prime comes out and maybe RE0 and RE4 later down the road and had a PS2 since launch,PS2 owns in the 3rd party department and there exclusives are getting better and better,with GCs 1st party and GBA its plenty for me,maybe I'll buy a Xbox when its $99 in a year or two.