Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 HDD price from IGN

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-02, 12:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by joshd2012

They are just rumors right now, so don't expect anything. I have been paying $50 for video games as long as I can remember, so I really don't care if that changes or not.
Wow! I actually agree with you I really don't care about saving 10 bucks either, if it goes toward paying the guys who make the games and goes toward better games in the future.

I am curious to see how it trickles down into the secondary market. You can find tons of stuff for cheap at half.com right now, if the prices dropped by $10, then I would be buying more games.

Actually, the games I *would* like to see drop in price are GBA games. Even at $30 I have a hard time biting the bullet and buying something.
Old 05-22-02, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by joshd2012

Obviously you haven't seen Tekken 4...
Yes I have seen it and its little jaggies.

and your point is?

I guess I'm just spoiled by the smoothness of Xbox and Gamecube games to enjoy yesterdays graphics technology of my friends PS2 games. That's just my opinion.

Last edited by WOWZY; 05-22-02 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-22-02, 06:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by WOWZY
Sounds like setzer is feeling the grip of MS tighten around Fony's neck. . . .

And as for MS jumping ship, it's obvious that MS is doing a pretty good job of chipping away at Fony's userbase and with MS being the hardcore buisiness that it is, it's not going anywhere.
Please read this thread:

Reminder about Console Bashing - DON'T DO IT!

Everyone else, please avoid calling Microsoft "Micro$oft" or any other variant. I know, many people dislike Microsoft... but calling companies names in here, especially with emotions seemingly running high about video game consoles, is just asking for threads to be taken down the wrong direction.
Old 05-22-02, 07:02 AM

Understood
Old 05-22-02, 08:00 AM

PS2 HD has 40GB of storage, more than the Xbox's 8GB, which is divided in 2GB for the OS, 2GB for game saves & jukeboxing, and 4GB for caching. Not much. I have 240GB and it's not enough for me still, along with 14GB of unhooked old harddrives laying around somewhere.

For the price of three or four memory cards, it is a worthwhile investment to get the hard drive instead. So only one memory card just for emergencies.

It's not that expensive as it was originally planned out to be. If you want a cheaper price still, then just waiter longer.

I'll be getting one eventually. There's already three games that uses the HD for caching to improve the loading times with more to come. There's supposely extra animations in Xenosaga if using the HD.

FREE online gaming. I'll go to where ever there is FREE online gaming. I would be a casual online gamer if I ever do online gaming. I have a busy schedule that will hinder me from having a full time online experience. Thus, I can't justify paying for a subscription like MS's "Garden of Eden" plan. Why pay for HBO when I barely use it.

If the Xbox was available in a stripped down version, I would buy that version of the Xbox instead. It would help lower the MSRP. For a year into the Xbox's lifespan, there will be no online gaming yet. So it's a waste. Plus, I don't need the BBA on the Xbox since I have no plans for online gaming with MS.

I don't feel shafted by Sony by being a "bare bones" system. It was a smart move since consoles have done well without network adaptors and harddrives in the previous generations. It's a smart move because the hard drive will be much bigger and will cost less by the time it is actually needed to be out in the market. Network adaptors will be cheaper to manufacture over time and with cheaper and better material.

Sony's manufacturing plants can concentrate on producing the essential parts of the PS2 between the year 1999-2002 before online gaming is officially introduced to yield higher and cheaper production results. Flextronics is being slowed down by the need of the harddrive and network adaptor in the Xbox which slows the production output rate due to more testing, especially for the harddrives.

Again, from a business point, it's a smart move done by Sony, which is now in the profits unlike MS is. Which means Sony will not die this generation. Investing in a PS2 is not a Dreamcast investment. "Here today, gone tomorrow."

It is also a smart move by Sony because what happens when the hard drive fails? The harddrive is optional in the case of the PS2 experience. You can still play the games without the harddrive. On the other hand, this is a problem for Xbox gamers where the HD is essential. If the harddrive dies, you're screwed.

Since HD is the first thing to likely fail, you just easily remove it from the expansion bay on the back of the PS2. Where as in the Xbox, you have to send the whole system back to MS to replace the HD since you can't open your Xbox to remove the HD.

The HD and BBA are available to those who wants them. Don't want one? Don't buy them. You can still enjoy games without them. It is still too early for a harddrive and BBA to be an essential integral part of a console. Maybe next generation will be the true beginning of online gaming and will then call for them.

Once again, smart move Sony.