Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between ps2 controller and ps1 controller/normal controller?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What is the difference between ps2 controller and ps1 controller/normal controller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-02, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question on Ps2 controller.

what is the difference between a ps2 controller and a ps1 controller?

can you use a ps1 controller on the ps2 system?

are both dualshock?

any help are welcome. thanks.
Old 05-18-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

take this with a grain of salt. i'm assuming you're referring to both dual shocks (1 and 2) with the analog sticks. Yes, you can use the dualshock 1 (which was used on the ps1) on the ps2. I think the only difference is pressure sensitive buttons (not sure, though, there probably are more) meaning on a dual shock 2, the harder you press the "fire" button, for example, the faster your gun will shoot, etc. I don't think the dual shock 1 has that. It's a simple on-off signal. Again, I'm not sure about all this. Just remember hearing that somewhere.
Old 05-18-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of the buttons on the Dual Shock 2 (except for Start and Select) are analog (pressure sensitive), while the original Dual Shock does not have pressure sensitive buttons (except for the analog sticks).

You can use the Dual Shock 2 when playing PS1 games.
You can use the original Dual Shock controller for PS2 games that do not require the Dual Shock 2.
Old 05-18-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can even play some games that "require" pressure sensitive buttons with the original Dual Shock. For example, in Ace Combat 4, the harder you press square, determines what scale the on screen map displays. If you use a PS1 controller, you just press the button to cycle through the different map modes.