Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox Price Correction (Sears)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-02, 11:36 AM

Location: Williamsport, PA -- Home of Little Leage World Series
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBox Price Correction (Sears)

I bought an XBox at Sears 2 months ago at $299 (actually $399 w/ two games as a bundle). With the price drop, my initial thought was to ask for a price correction, but their policy says 30 days. But, there "Satisfaction Guaranteed" return time is 90 days. Is there anything wrong with returning for a refund and turning around and purchasing again? Have others done this?

The console rocks and have been pleased, but $100 change this quickly makes me cringe. Had it been 3-6 months, I would probably just let it go. Price for buying a newer product. I will probably just buy two or three games with the $$ if I can swing the deal.

Thoughts on this attempt?

Thanks,

Thadius
Old 05-15-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From my experiences with Sears, I'd say give it a go. It can't hurt to try, and willing to bet if you are pleasant, you'll have a good result.
Old 05-15-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
I would even go so far & explain the situation. Tell them that you want the price match but if they wont consider , go for the satisfaction guarantee. Just do it nicely. I am sure they would rather have the sale than a return.
Old 05-16-02, 03:29 PM

Thanks for your input.

Just got back from Sears and no issues. Console, two games, xtra controller and maintenance agreement all credited.

Know to get more stuff without spending more. I see Halo and Nascar Thunder in my future. Off to Sears again tonight!

Sears rocks, which is why I try to buy there first. Always stand behind their policies. Didn't go the price protection angle. To risky since the policy is 30 days. Returns is 90.

Thadius
Old 05-17-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rock on Sears. I love my experiences with them.
Old 05-17-02, 12:21 PM

I'm a little confused by your situation:

How could you open it all, play with it for 2 months, and return it for your money back by simply saying "I'm not satisfied"? If this is the case I could buy anything from there, use it, wear it, etc. and return it when I'm bored with it for my money back. Is this plausible??
Old 05-17-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He wasn't satisfied with the price drop, and from what he has said, has all intentions of bringing his business back to Sears. Then, no harm no foul.
Old 05-17-02, 12:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by mijang
If this is the case I could buy anything from there, use it, wear it, etc. and return it when I'm bored with it for my money back. Is this plausible??
Pretty much. Around Superbowl time, a lot of people buy big screen televisions, and then return them on Monday saying "I'm not satisfied." While Sears knows that they can be taken advantage of with this policy, they also have built up a loyal customer base as a result.
Old 05-17-02, 09:17 PM

mijang,

As others read and/or assumed I am faithful to Sears due to them taking care of the situation regardless. I buy all power tools, kitchen appliances, garden tools, etc from them.

On the way home tonight, stopped by Sears again and purchased a new Xbox @ $199, plus the 3 year coverage (kids break, whatever).

Say KB Toys had all accessories (for Xbox or PS2) at 50% off, went back to sears and they matched it for my second controller (MS one for $20).

Bought Halo and Jedi Starfighter (just came out) and we are all happy and Sears got the majority of my purchase (didn't have Jedi, but price matched Circuit City price at EB).

So, bottom line, I am happy and Sears retains all of my business. Hell, the $100 difference was even spent tonight at sears, bought a gas powered hedge trimmer.

Well, getting off forum topic, so back to playing...

thadius
Old 05-17-02, 11:37 PM

I understand your loyalty to this store and your overall satisfaction with how they treat you as a customer. What I had trouble understanding was the apparent "satisfaction" policy. I have never heard of such a policy. In my opinion this policy is simply begging to be taken advantage of and abused, and I can't fathom how it could be adventagous for Sears to provide such a guarantee. Sure it builds a loyal customer base, and provides one with a sense of security with regard to their purchase, but again it leaves itself open for excessive abuse. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to basically get the price adjustment you were seeking.