Reload this Page >

NOW What Does Nintendo Do?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-15-02, 01:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS2 and XBOX are $199. Does Nintendo announce the Gamecube at $149 or $99? Tomorrow or at E3?

I think we hear from Nintendo within 24 hours. But they are pretty stuborn when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 05-15-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They will prolly stay put. Their system is awesome and they have quite a slew of new games on the horizon. Plus they can now try to market themselves as a top line system that the competition had to lower their price to compete.
Old 05-15-02, 02:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: NOW What Does Nintendo Do?

Originally posted by Mike_AA
PS2 and XBOX are $199. Does Nintendo announce the Gamecube at $149 or $99? Tomorrow or at E3?

I think we hear from Nintendo within 24 hours. But they are pretty stuborn when it comes to stuff like this.
E3.
Old 05-15-02, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To make their console more competitive I think they need to drop their price to somewhere between 100-125. If they decide to go down to 149 it will not be competitive enough (only $50 bucks more for an X-Box is too good for many consumers to pass up). If it is going to go at 149 I think they should bundle it up with a game (Super Monkey Ball?) or an extra controller...
Old 05-15-02, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by diacritic
To make their console more competitive I think they need to drop their price to somewhere between 100-125. If they decide to go down to 149 it will not be competitive enough (only $50 bucks more for an X-Box is too good for many consumers to pass up). If it is going to go at 149 I think they should bundle it up with a game (Super Monkey Ball?) or an extra controller...
Good point. I think $149 with a game, maybe a memory card, would be a smart way to go!
Old 05-15-02, 08:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Actually, I think a $99 price point would hurt Nintendo more than the $149 price point, simply because that would create the perception that the console is "cheap." You can underprice yourself in the marketplace just as easily as overprice yourself.

If they bundle the Cube with a game, perhaps it should be a special edition of Luigi's Mansion that also contains playable demos of some of their other games.

I think Nintendo will probably play "wait and see" at least until E3. They are already in second place but that could change as interest in the Xbox grows.
Old 05-15-02, 08:08 AM
Banned

Whatever they drop the price to, its prolly gonna force me to buy one.
Old 05-15-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Nintendo needs to worry about dropping the Gamecube price too much. They need to worry about getting games like Zelda out as soon as possible so the system is worth paying $200 for.
Old 05-15-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think they'll drop it to $149.
Old 05-15-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i think they will wait till september-ish when they will be having all their big titles coming out. but who knows...
Old 05-15-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thats what I was thinking, at first I thought they'd immediately follow suit to sony and microsoft. But after reading their announcement about online games I got a better I idea on how they operate. I don't think they'd drop the price significantly low soon because it would start cutting into their profits, which they seem to be careful about. I don't think they're trying to dethrone Sony as the current number one, they're content with where they are right now and they're making money.

But then again anythings' possible, might happen at E3
Old 05-15-02, 01:10 PM
Banned

If Nintendo doesn't do something quick, XBOX is gonna pull ahead. I know a LOT of people who are gonna buy one now for $199. Everyone's already got a PS2 (well most people) so this move is bigger for the XBOX. Hell, I might even pick one up.