Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Namco to make an arcade Star Fox ala Sega and F-zero!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Namco to make an arcade Star Fox ala Sega and F-zero!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-02, 10:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Namco might be making an arcade Star Fox ala Sega and F-zero!

from planetgamecube:

News Article: Another Star Fox?!
News Date: 05/07/2002
Source: IGN Cube
Link: http://cube.ign.com/articles/358/358622p1.html
Discuss it in the Forum!

The second Triforce title has been revealed, and it’s just as exciting as the first! Rumors claim Namco has gotten its mitts on the Star Fox franchise...

When gamers first heard about Star Fox Adventures and its Zelda-esque gameplay they worried about the series’ future. Before, it looked like there would be a trade-off between adventuring and flying, but if IGN is right, gamers can have their cake and eat it too! According to their report, Namco is developing a Star Fox title with Nintendo’s blessing. IGN’s sources state that the game will be a 3D shooter “in the traditional style of the series,” running on Nintendo’s Triforce arcade board.

No details have been revealed yet, but its resemblance to Sega and Nintendo’s recent F-Zero announcement suggests that a Nintendo-published GameCube version will also be released. An official announcement from Nintendo and Namco on the title is expected within the week.
Old 05-08-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's great news. I wonder if any other Cube games will become 2 Cube games as Star Fox has. That would be sweet.

You know, when I first heard about Trifore I thought it was a pretty stupid idea. I mean, who plays arcade games anymore? Screw the arcade though, this Triforce deal has so far scored the Cube 2 exclusive titles from 2 big-time 3rd party developers. Hopefully more are on the way.
Old 05-08-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
I believe this is beyond rumor.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...864539,00.html
Old 05-08-02, 11:19 AM
Retired

Here's the text of the gamespot article ctyner linked to, complete with release dates.

Nintendo and Namco sign cooperative agreement

The two Japanese gaming giants unite to create a Star Fox game for the GameCube and much more.

Nintendo announced today in Japan that it has signed a deal with Namco to cocreate a new Star Fox game for the GameCube, to be released in April 2003 in that territory. Also, a version of the game will be developed for Nintendo's GameCube-based Triforce arcade hardware. No further details regarding the new Star Fox game were given. Namco also announced its remaining software lineup for the GameCube for the next year: Namco will release a new Mr. Driller game for the GameCube in Japan at the end of this year, as well as a Ridge series racing game tentatively scheduled for release in March of 2003. Namco will also release Soul Calibur 2 in January of 2003, an installment in the Tales RPG series in July 2003, and an original RPG purported to have a unique battle system in December 2003.
Namco also has a healthy line-up of Game Boy Advance software in development. It will release Family Tennis Advance, Famista Advance (a baseball game), Mr. Driller Ace, Klonoa of the Wind G2 (based on the Klonoa platformers), an RPG called Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2, an original Klonoa action RPG, a puzzle game, and a port of the SNES version of Tales of Phantasia--all of these will be available for Nintendo's handheld by the end of this year in Japan.

We'll have more details on Namco and Nintendo's partnership as they become available. Below is a complete list of the newly announced software and the respective Japanese release dates.

GameCube

Star Fox (working title) - April 2003
Mr. Driller (working title) - November 2002
Soul Calibur 2 - January 2003
Ridge Series Racing Game (title to be announced) - March 2003
Tales RPG (title to be announced) - July 2003
Original RPG (title to be announced) - December 2003

Game Boy Advance

Family Tennis Advance - June 2002
Famista Advance - June 2002
Mr. Driller Ace - August 2002
Klonoa of the Wind G2 - August 2002
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - October 2002
Klonoa of the Wind (title to be announced) - November 2002
Puzzle Game (title to be announced) - December 2002
Tales of Phantasia - December 2002
Old 05-08-02, 01:18 PM
Retired

According to Planet Gamecube, the Gamecube version of a Namco developed Star Fox game is confirmed, but the arcade version "isn't set in stone." I could care less as I don't go to arcades anyway.

Here's a poster.
Old 05-09-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Another, almost too obvious arcade possibility is the next installment of Super Smash Bros. I think that would make a very natural choice. If I am not mistaken the sequal for the GCN is already in the works (rumor). I think that this would be really cool to trade information between the arcade and home version via memory cards like F-Zero is rumored to do. Can you imagine: Must play arcade version 100 times to get the arcade trophy.
Old 05-12-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally got a chance to see the Tales video since it was locked by IGN, ended up finding it at another site . Looks pretty cool even though the version is supposed to be early and there wasn't too much yet. Another Starfox game is good news too, those people who were complaining Star fox adventures only had a few flying levels should be happy now . Not sure how Namco will handle Starfox, but they are good hands to put it in. I'm just glad they're making sequels to those games.