Stuck in Project Gotham -- need tips

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I've made it as far as Tokyo, getting two bronzes in there, but I can't seem to get any further, or any better in most of the previous races. My best car is the Focus, and it's basically completely outclassed in speed and turning now. I've been able to get golds in all the street races before London, but I can't get a gold in anything else, and barely any silvers.

That also goes for the quick races and arcade races, I just can't get enough kudos to get the medals. As a result, I still can't crack 25k (got about 22.4k now) to get the Esperante. I'm not sure what I can do to get the points and whatnot? It's like I've hit a brick wall.

Not counting any cheats, are there any suggestions of ways I can raise my kudos. I've already put approx. 250 miles on the Focus, but I'm going nowhere fast. Even if I keep lowering the time for laps, I can't get enough kudos to combine with my higher score and push me up.

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 05-05-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That also goes for the quick races and arcade races, I just can't get enough kudos to get the medals
You don't need kudos for the quick races. Your finish place is the only determining factor in getting medals. You should be able to get golds in all the quick races fairly easily on the easy, medium, and hard difficulties. Start with the Beetle to get golds on all the easy quick races. Once you do that, you'll get the Audi TT which is the best car in its class. I'm sure you've noticed that the competing cars in the quick races are all in the same class as your car, so what you want to do is pick the best car in your class. The Focus is not the car for the quick races. The Audi TT will help you get the golds on the medium and hard settings. Leave the very hard and all arcade races (except for easy) for later when you have better cars.

Also have you used your Jokers yet? Go ahead and use them - but NOT if you have difficulty getting a bronze. Save them for the street races where you are assured of getting around 1000 kudos. The jokers will double that and should easily get you over the hump to 25,000 kudos.

Other than that I can't suggest much else. Once you get the Esperante, stay away from the 4WD cars. They handle great, but won't help you when it comes to getting kudos. Even the Feroce is no good IMO.
Old 05-05-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joshic
You don't need kudos for the quick races. Your finish place is the only determining factor in getting medals. You should be able to get golds in all the quick races fairly easily on the easy, medium, and hard difficulties. Start with the Beetle to get golds on all the easy quick races. Once you do that, you'll get the Audi TT which is the best car in its class. I'm sure you've noticed that the competing cars in the quick races are all in the same class as your car, so what you want to do is pick the best car in your class. The Focus is not the car for the quick races. The Audi TT will help you get the golds on the medium and hard settings. Leave the very hard and all arcade races (except for easy) for later when you have better cars.

Also have you used your Jokers yet? Go ahead and use them - but NOT if you have difficulty getting a bronze. Save them for the street races where you are assured of getting around 1000 kudos. The jokers will double that and should easily get you over the hump to 25,000 kudos.

Other than that I can't suggest much else. Once you get the Esperante, stay away from the 4WD cars. They handle great, but won't help you when it comes to getting kudos. Even the Feroce is no good IMO.
Why would the beetle be better than the Focus for the quick races? It doesn't have that high of a speed. I'll check again since the quick races only require placement, but I was having quite a lot of trouble with them. I also haven't used my kudos in any of the levels other than amateur, but I guess you're right, I may as well go ahead. If you get a higher score on a level than you already had, do you get the total score in kudos added or just the difference between the two?

Tuan Jim
Old 05-06-02, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you get a higher score on a level than you already had, do you get the total score in kudos added or just the difference between the two?
Say you get 400 kudos the first time you do a style challenge. The second time you do it, you get 600 kudos. The third time you do it, you get 500 kudos. The game will only record you as having earned 600 kudos for that challenge. Only the highest score is saved and applied to the total kudos score.

Why would the beetle be better than the Focus for the quick races? It doesn't have that high of a speed.
The Beetle is better than the Focus (for quick races) because it is the second best car in its class. Like I said, the competing cars in the quick races are all in the same class as the car you race with. So if you use the Beetle, the other cars will be slower. If you use the Focus, you race against Focus-level cars. Many of those Focus-level cars will be faster than your Focus.

Also strategy for quick races - you probably already know this, but in case you don't - for all street races, quick races, and one-on-one races, the best way to win is to cut all the other cars off and get into the lead during either the first or second turn. Then the rest of the race consists of blocking other cars from passing you. Keep checking your rear view on straightaways. It's really hard to win any other way.

I also fired up my PGR earlier in the evening, and noticed that the last race in Tokyo is a one-on-one versus a Skyline. You should be able to win that one easliy with the Focus. For that race and all other one-on-one races, set the difficulty for the lowest possible setting (in this case give yourself a 15-sec head start), and just win the race. You'll get the new car regardless of whether you earn a medal or not. The Skyline should be able to help you out in some of those kudos challenges.

Also a final tip. Although PGR is largely an arcade racer, it still pays to follow the line. Slow in, fast out.
Old 05-06-02, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I won a Skyline at some point and it has been my car of choice ever since. I'm not outclassed in my Skyline and am stuck myself, but if you can figure out how to get the Skyline, you'll be winning again.
Old 05-06-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joshic

Say you get 400 kudos the first time you do a style challenge. The second time you do it, you get 600 kudos. The third time you do it, you get 500 kudos. The game will only record you as having earned 600 kudos for that challenge. Only the highest score is saved and applied to the total kudos score.

Just wondering, because it seems to me that if I had 600 the first time, then went through again and got 800, only 200 kudos (the difference) is actually added to my total kudos score. I may be wrong here, but I was just wondering about confirmation. Thanks for the tip about making the one on one easier -- dunno why I didn't think about doing that just for the first race just to win it. I did manage to stay in front for 1 1/2 laps by careful turning, but lost it then with the standard 5 sec start.

thanks again,
Tuan Jim
Old 05-06-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the tips. I've got both the Audis now and the Skyline. Just wondering -- are the Audi's good for anything or are they pretty much outclassed in all the races by now -- timed and otherwise?

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 05-06-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Audi TT is only good for the quick races. Or if you get it early, it is not so bad for the kudos challenges in the introduction and amateur seasons. A lot of the cars you get in the quick races (and especially the arcade races) are woefully outclassed by the time you unlock them.