Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

About those sticky posts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About those sticky posts...

I saw that thread in the feedback forum early when it only had 3 posts, but it wasn't until much later that I'd gotten around to composing a reply. By the time I finished, though, Blade had already locked up the thread and given how it was going, it was probably for the best.

I had a couple things I wanted to say publicly, however, after we've all had a night to let things settle a bit and before namja or Geoff acts on whatever he/they decide to do.

First of all, Flay and Josh, I want to say thank you. You guys both do an incredible job on your respective release lists and I know you guys don't get anything out of it except for the all too rare pat on the back. I often refer to your lists and have on occassion actually tried to contribute a little. The fact that your two threads have a combined 14,000+ views attests to the fact a great many here benefit from your efforts.

I had no idea, however, that you both felt so strongly that the placement of these threads as stickies represented a badge of honor that validated your efforts. So I hope you both believe me when I say that it was never my intention to suggest that we take that away from you.

My only motivation in making the suggestion was simply that stickies annoy me. There's no good reason why. They just do. Some people get annoyed by "Letters to the editor" threads, others get annoyed by too many sports threads or users who have sigs that are too long. Ultimately, there's never a really good rational reason why, it's just the way it is.

Now there have been other threads in the feedback forum on this particular peccadillo so I know I'm not the only one who dislikes stickies in general. But as far as I'm concerned, it's never actually been a big deal. In fact, I've never complained of it at all until yesterday and even then it was sort of an off-handed suggestion that arose from (what I hope) was a gentle joke that I was directing at Flay.

Of course, had I known that those threads being sticky was important to both of you, I never would have suggested it. While, I still agree with gcribbs in that I think the main reason for their stickiness has passed and that we'd all be equally well served by a single sticky; like I said earlier, it's just not that big of a deal to me. So I'm more than happy to let sleeping dogs lay.

Flay, Josh, I know I've been on the opposite side of a few debates with both of you guys in the past so I'm a bit afraid that you guys might doubt the sincerity of this post. Even if we don't agree on much, however, I want you guys to know that I really respect your opinions and unlike too many people I encounter on game boards, your posts are always intelligent, well thought-out, and interesting.

Lastly, on a less sappy but more serious note, there was a comment directed at gcribbs last night that really stepped over the line. While he certainly doesn't need me to stick up for him, I do admire his equanimity in the face of that comment. I'm fairly sure that if that comment had been directed at me, we'd all be suspended or banned by now.

Anyway, my hope is that while we may all understand that unfortunate things can be said in the heat of frustration and anger, it takes a man to own up to his mistake and do what's right by it. Even if it is in a private e-mail (relayed by a mod if need be). Yeah, I know it's not my place and I should keep my nose out of it, but I feel guilty since it was my stupid post that sort of got us in this mess.

namja, I'm not sure what you and Blade discussed or whether you're going to consult Geoff. If it's possible, I'd rather we just all pretend that none of this happened and leave the stickies as they are. Those of us who were involved in the matter are all pretty mature, I think, and hopefully we can all settle it amongst ourselves without adult supervision. Whether or not we all kiss and make up, I don't think administrative action is in order.
Old 04-13-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the ability to see all the release dates without really surfing the web.

In fact, there should be a PS2 one and a GBA one as well. why shouldn't you be able to look at the upcoming release dates and other preview type stuff in one thread, keeping the rest of the forum open for disscussion.

it is two threads at the top of a web page and people are complaining about it?

don't read the threads if you don't want to. its as simple as that. its like the people that complain there are too many star wars threads, then go into the thread post about too many star wars threads.... accomplishing nothing more than bumping the star wars thread up to the top of the list. just ignore it....
Old 04-13-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the sticky threads but I'd love to see the titles changed...the Game Cube launched already as we all know.
Old 04-13-02, 08:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by huh?
I like the ability to see all the release dates without really surfing the web.

In fact, there should be a PS2 one and a GBA one as well. why shouldn't you be able to look at the upcoming release dates and other preview type stuff in one thread, keeping the rest of the forum open for disscussion.
Feel free to start them!
Old 04-13-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: About those sticky posts...

Originally posted by belboz
I saw that thread in the feedback forum early when it only had 3 posts, but it wasn't until much later that I'd gotten around to composing a reply. By the time I finished, though, Blade had already locked up the thread and given how it was going, it was probably for the best.

I had a couple things I wanted to say publicly, however, after we've all had a night to let things settle a bit and before namja or Geoff acts on whatever he/they decide to do.

First of all, Flay and Josh, I want to say thank you. You guys both do an incredible job on your respective release lists and I know you guys don't get anything out of it except for the all too rare pat on the back. I often refer to your lists and have on occassion actually tried to contribute a little. The fact that your two threads have a combined 14,000+ views attests to the fact a great many here benefit from your efforts.

I had no idea, however, that you both felt so strongly that the placement of these threads as stickies represented a badge of honor that validated your efforts. So I hope you both believe me when I say that it was never my intention to suggest that we take that away from you.

My only motivation in making the suggestion was simply that stickies annoy me. There's no good reason why. They just do. Some people get annoyed by "Letters to the editor" threads, others get annoyed by too many sports threads or users who have sigs that are too long. Ultimately, there's never a really good rational reason why, it's just the way it is.

Now there have been other threads in the feedback forum on this particular peccadillo so I know I'm not the only one who dislikes stickies in general. But as far as I'm concerned, it's never actually been a big deal. In fact, I've never complained of it at all until yesterday and even then it was sort of an off-handed suggestion that arose from (what I hope) was a gentle joke that I was directing at Flay.

Of course, had I known that those threads being sticky was important to both of you, I never would have suggested it. While, I still agree with gcribbs in that I think the main reason for their stickiness has passed and that we'd all be equally well served by a single sticky; like I said earlier, it's just not that big of a deal to me. So I'm more than happy to let sleeping dogs lay.

Flay, Josh, I know I've been on the opposite side of a few debates with both of you guys in the past so I'm a bit afraid that you guys might doubt the sincerity of this post. Even if we don't agree on much, however, I want you guys to know that I really respect your opinions and unlike too many people I encounter on game boards, your posts are always intelligent, well thought-out, and interesting.

Lastly, on a less sappy but more serious note, there was a comment directed at gcribbs last night that really stepped over the line. While he certainly doesn't need me to stick up for him, I do admire his equanimity in the face of that comment. I'm fairly sure that if that comment had been directed at me, we'd all be suspended or banned by now.

Anyway, my hope is that while we may all understand that unfortunate things can be said in the heat of frustration and anger, it takes a man to own up to his mistake and do what's right by it. Even if it is in a private e-mail (relayed by a mod if need be). Yeah, I know it's not my place and I should keep my nose out of it, but I feel guilty since it was my stupid post that sort of got us in this mess.

namja, I'm not sure what you and Blade discussed or whether you're going to consult Geoff. If it's possible, I'd rather we just all pretend that none of this happened and leave the stickies as they are. Those of us who were involved in the matter are all pretty mature, I think, and hopefully we can all settle it amongst ourselves without adult supervision. Whether or not we all kiss and make up, I don't think administrative action is in order.
I was just shocked by the comment. I really did not want nor do I want anything to happen to anyone. sometimes things are said when people are upset. I also did not think that the whole htread would dissolve into what it did. I hope that nothing comes of it.

Joshhinkle and I have discussed things before over padding a while ago in the feedback forum. I rspected what he had to say and really felt that although we had differing opinions that we both tried to express our side and let the Mods decide what would happen. I lost by the way

I guess it was felt that I was attacking them not that I just did not like stickies. things kept getting more heated. I really probably should have just stopped posting however I never thought it was going to get over the line until it just did

Flay and Joshhinkle I am sorry if you felt I do not value the efforts you make. I thought I mentioned I did.
Old 04-13-02, 12:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a great example of a way to handle important threads without having them all be stickies. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=107726

It links to 7 other threads in the first post alone(only one of which is also a sticky). Each one of those threads is maintained by the original poster of each. Everyone gets their proper credit without having 7 stickies.

Release lists are a great service. It would be nice to have a PS2, GBA, and PC release list to go along with the GC and Xbox lists.

Let's say you have 7 stickies in a forum. You will see those 7 stickies on the top of each page of the forum. You would have to scroll past those 7 stickies on each page. With my resolution at home, when I scroll down to the first thread, I would see more stickies than regular posts. The threads may not have been updated for a week or more, but you would always have to scroll past those stickies.

What's the harm in having something like a "GBA, GC, PC, PS2, and Xbox Upcoming Releases" sticky containing only the links to the separate threads? That would cut 5 stickies down to 1. Each release list would still be their own thread maintained by the original poster who would get the same credit as they would if the thread was a sticky. It would take two clicks to get to the release list you want.
Old 04-13-02, 01:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Here's a great example of a way to handle important threads without having them all be stickies. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=107726

It links to 7 other threads in the first post alone(only one of which is also a sticky). Each one of those threads is maintained by the original poster of each. Everyone gets their proper credit without having 7 stickies.

Release lists are a great service. It would be nice to have a PS2, GBA, and PC release list to go along with the GC and Xbox lists.

Let's say you have 7 stickies in a forum. You will see those 7 stickies on the top of each page of the forum. You would have to scroll past those 7 stickies on each page. With my resolution at home, when I scroll down to the first thread, I would see more stickies than regular posts. The threads may not have been updated for a week or more, but you would always have to scroll past those stickies.

What's the harm in having something like a "GBA, GC, PC, PS2, and Xbox Upcoming Releases" sticky containing only the links to the separate threads? That would cut 5 stickies down to 1. Each release list would still be their own thread maintained by the original poster who would get the same credit as they would if the thread was a sticky. It would take two clicks to get to the release list you want.
Well the fact is we aren't talking about 7 stickies or even 4 stickies, we are talking about 2 stickies which I find very minute no matter what the resolution. And it's actually 3 clicks to see the latest update without studying the main update list. The 3rd click is the "Last page" link. I just hope they remain stickies, but that's just my opinion. If we get to 7 we can talk.
Old 04-13-02, 01:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still say we need four stickies.

Keep the X-box and GCN thread. Unsticky the Console Bashing post (common knowlege now, new members can be warned and probably don't bother reading that thread in the first place) and the Dreamcast Bargains thread (dead system, bargains everywhere, will be bumped when someone finds a great deal). Then get someone to do a GBA and PS2 thread.

Same number of stickies, better information, everyone's happy except a couple people who are annoyed by stickies in general.
Old 04-13-02, 01:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

Well the fact is we aren't talking about 7 stickies or even 4 stickies, we are talking about 2 stickies which I find very minute no matter what the resolution. And it's actually 3 clicks to see the latest update without studying the main update list. The 3rd click is the "Last page" link. I just hope they remain stickies, but that's just my opinion. If we get to 7 we can talk.
Yes, two stickies is a good number. Right now there are 4. If someone were to start a PC, GBA, and PS2 list, there could be 7. I didn't say 2 clicks to get the last page with the latest update, I said 2 clicks to get to the list itself . Of course, I'm of the opinion that it's a good idea to periodically trim back this sort of thread to one page since once an update is made the post pointing out the need for the update is obsolete. Then it would still be 2 clicks and a bit of scrolling for the latest update.
Old 04-13-02, 08:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

I would love if someone did a PS2 and GBA thread but I don't think anyone would step up to the plate. I contemplated doing a "Next Gen Console FAQ" and actually started working on it and then before I posted it something on my computer got F-ed up. The time and constant updating it would take for PS2 and GBA would be huge. Of course I'd love it if someone proved me wrong!

Andy, let's just cut the DC and Console Bashing stickies and then we should be A-Okay. If someone steps up to the plate on GBA and PS2, then we'll talk.
Old 04-13-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I still say we need four stickies.

Keep the X-box and GCN thread. Unsticky the Console Bashing post (common knowlege now, new members can be warned and probably don't bother reading that thread in the first place) and the Dreamcast Bargains thread (dead system, bargains everywhere, will be bumped when someone finds a great deal). Then get someone to do a GBA and PS2 thread.

Same number of stickies, better information, everyone's happy except a couple people who are annoyed by stickies in general.
i feel the opposite. keep the console bashing b/c it'll happen and it's applicable to everyone.

the other 3, imho, do not need to be stickies... instead have a sticky that refers to specific important threads inside.
Old 04-13-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've already requested removing the sticky from the Dreamcast bargain thread. I felt that Dreamcast bargains that were posted would bump the thread up for us to take notice.