Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault -- Freaking sniper level! Grrrr!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-11-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So finally after a week, I get some time on the computer.

Fire up Medal of Honor and get ready for 'Mission Five -- Snipers Hate Me'.

I must have died 187 times in the first five minutes. What idiot level designer thought that this would be fun?

I'm getting ready to bust out some god mode right now, just stopped in to rant.
Old 04-11-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It took me 3 days to beat that level because I kept getting headaches trying to spot those ****ing snipers. Unfortunatley things don't get any better after that level either. The whole second half of the game sucks.
Old 04-12-02, 12:00 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sucks as in poor design, or sucks b/c it's frickin' hard?

Try this... when you're entering an area that you know you get capped in by snipers, move slowly. Dart forward, and then back... when you hear a shot (or get shot, as the case may be), you'll at least have an idea of where to look. Then you can zero in.

It's tough, but doable without God mode.
Old 04-12-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well there is a point where 'frickin hard' becomes 'too frickin hard', and then I consider it poor design. Frustration is not fun.

The Omaha beach level was frickin hard, but doable, this just seems impossible. I do exactly like you said. Dart out, get shot a few times then get under cover and look for the sniper. Still can't see em. I can sit out there in the open and I still can't see the snipers. It seems like those bullets are coming around corners sometimes.
Old 04-12-02, 12:18 AM

Spoiler:
Once I found the sniper in the bell tower,
this level wasn't that hard, I thought. Personally, I thought the level in the woods was the hardest (most annoying anyways).
Old 04-12-02, 12:34 AM

not hard

i don't think its hard at all, even on the hard skill level. i mean, its kinda how it should be. those snipers are watching for you, so of course they'll be hiding pretty well. once you figure out where they are though, its cake.
Old 04-12-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
The thing that makes it hard is that due to a bug, the enemies in single player mdoe don't ahve to shoot in the direction that their gun is pointing.
Old 04-12-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The method I used to beat this level was to use the quick save button A LOT.
Just move five feet forward, look around and make sure no one is shooting you, and quick save it.
When someone does shoot you, reload and fire in that direction first...

Just remember that the snipers like to be up high on top of buildings, inside buildings, and in tall towers.
Old 04-12-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Zodo
I was going to say the same thing.

*** MINOR SPOILER ***

They also like to hid behind trees. There's one early on (after you kill the tank) that drove me nuts. I couldn't find him anywhere. Turns out he was on a rooftop behind a large tree. Sneaky bastards.
Old 04-12-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I thought the level in the woods was the hardest (most annoying anyways).
I agree. The snipers just plain cheat in that level.
Old 04-12-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Zodo
Just move five feet forward, look around and make sure no one is shooting you, and quick save it.
When someone does shoot you, reload and fire in that direction first...

Just remember that the snipers like to be up high on top of buildings, inside buildings, and in tall towers.
See I guess I just think that having to quicksave every five feet isn't that fun.

Mostly I was frustrated last night because after about a week of my wife hogging the computer I finally got some time to play, then I spent 30 minutes dying every 10 seconds.
Old 04-12-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there body specific damage, in this game, like in Sodier of Fortune?
Old 04-12-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by golucky
Is there body specific damage, in this game, like in Sodier of Fortune?
Yes, but its not as specific as SOF I don't think. The different parts of the body are:
Head
Left Arm
Right Arm
Torso
Left Leg
Right Leg

I think SOF had more divisions than that.
Old 04-12-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been taken out many times in the left or right foot
Old 04-12-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The level is very hard, but the snipers are always in the same place, so once you figure out where they are, it is not that bad.
Old 04-12-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not the only one who found this almost annoyingly tough.

Do what I did....:

Quicksaves and then walk into the open...get hit and check the compass.... then reload game and snipe them before they get you.

Finally worked....
Old 04-12-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Computer Gaming World in their review said "Sniper Town is the one spot where MoH doesn't play fair, and the difficulty of the level is such that you could practically classify it as a game-killing bug. We cheated past it; gamers without the cheat code will feel suckered and unistall the game."
Old 04-12-02, 07:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ten41
Computer Gaming World in their review said "Sniper Town is the one spot where MoH doesn't play fair, and the difficulty of the level is such that you could practically classify it as a game-killing bug. We cheated past it; gamers without the cheat code will feel suckered and unistall the game."
Whatever. What do they expect? You're walking through a town occupied by multiple snipers who are covering the roads. Is going through that supposed to be easy? I got through it without the cheat code, and I felt pretty satisfied after doing it. I never felt suckered or wanted to uninstall the game.

I like CGW, but it's not as cut-and-dry as they say. I'm really surprised that people in the video-game-playing business had to cheat through it.
Old 04-12-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a lot of people are confused about the issue at hand here. The difficulty of this level is not the issue. The real issue is that this level just isn't fun.
Old 04-12-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
I think a lot of people are confused about the issue at hand here. The difficulty of this level is not the issue. The real issue is that this level just isn't fun.
You hit the nail on the head for me.

This level wouldn't be possible to beat without the quicksave for most people (which is true in a lot of FPS games, but not to this extent).

I don't mind things being tough as long as I can keep trying different ways to figure out the problem. That is fun to me.

Well my wife won't be home for another three hours. I'm hopping back in right after I hit 'submit'. Wish me luck.
Old 04-12-02, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
I also have to agree. When the enemy AI has to resort to what is basically cheating, my enjoyment stops. I mean those are the same things about Counter-Strike that suck.
Old 04-12-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I'm back!

I beat it. Only problem was that I got to the gate and all the rest of the dudes are dead. So I had to go search through every stinking house to find the bazooka that some dead dude left behind.

Some of those bastards behind the tree I couldn't see at all. I just snuck up on the edge of some window or door until they were shooting at me but couldn't hit me. Then I could see the puff of smoke from their gun and shoot toward it.

This next part where I gotta keep all these tank dudes alive is gonna be a bitch. Well, back to the war! HOO-AHH!
Old 04-13-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're probably past it now: I thought keeping the tank alive was a walk in the park compared to all those damn snipers.
Old 04-13-02, 04:58 PM

Sheesh you guys! I thought I was going to pull my hair out over Omaha Beach! Now this sniper level???? I haven't played since my last vacation to Europe this past march. Since I have been back I have taken up JDKII. Throw in some Max Payne and I have been kept busy.

But, I have not forgotten MOH. But c'mon. This level does not even sound fun.

I guess I will have to make it past this beach first!

Old 04-13-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Omaha is pretty easy if you know what to do. Its not just run-and-hope-you-don't-get-shot. There are a few things that you can learn to help you out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.