Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA 2K2 for Gamecube...Worth a Purchase?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 09:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking of purchasing 2k2, wondering if its worth it. I bought Courtside and put it on ebay the next day. Dont wanna go through that again.
Old 04-07-02, 10:05 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBA 2K2 is the best basketball sim ever. But it is a true sim. If you prefer arcade games, get NBA Street. I like both types of b-ball games so I own both.

NBA 2K2 is basically a thinking man's basketball game. If you're going to win above rookie difficulty you must learn to run some of the offensive plays, to recognize and exploit mismatches, how to coach your teams defense (i.e. who to pressure more, who to double team, who to not double team, changing the matchups to prevent mis-matches etc.) and above all you must be able to play the game with patience and not rush and take bad shots.

As for the GCN version (the only one I've played), the reviews say it looks better than the Dreamcast and PS2 versions, but not quite as good as the X-box version. The load times are very quick (probably the best I've seen for a CD or DVD based sports game). The control is great. The GCN controller is perfect for sports games IMO.

Basically, if you're a fan of basketball sims, there is no reason you shouldn't own this game.
Old 04-08-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's pretty much the same as NBA 2K1 and 2K2 for other systems so I say skip it if you own one or more of those.
Old 04-08-02, 03:01 PM

perhaps you should wait for NBA 2k3 to come out in October November
i own nba 2k2 for PS2 and had nba 2k1 for Dreamcast. Hands down, nba 2k2 is the best basketball game, easily beats EA NBA Live 2002 and Espn NBA 2night (for PS2)
It's just going to get better and better
though i wish you can d/l roster updates so you dont have to BuY the next season all the time or manually do every single transaction to get an updated roster
Old 04-08-02, 06:16 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Kellehair
It's pretty much the same as NBA 2K1 and 2K2 for other systems so I say skip it if you own one or more of those.

Actually it's much better than 2K1. In 2K1 the collision detection is horrible. You'd be trying to drive and just stop like you hit an invisible wall. This drove me crazy. In 2K2 the defenders actually shift in front of you. If they don't, you go right by them -- just like in real life.

My only gripe with 2K2 is it is much easier to run plays, and use drop steps and get dunks, than it is to get open jump shots. That's pretty unrealistic.
Old 04-08-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually it's much better than 2K1. In 2K1 the collision detection is horrible. You'd be trying to drive and just stop like you hit an invisible wall. This drove me crazy. In 2K2 the defenders actually shift in front of you. If they don't, you go right by them -- just like in real life.
The 'invisible wall' thing was in 2K2 for Dreamcast too. I thought I read 2K2 for the Cube was pretty much exactly the same as the DC version. I guess that's not the case.
Old 04-08-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
They are supposed to have fixed the fast breaks (players stopping during them when you pass) and invisible walls for the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox versions. Haven't had a chance to try it yet as I'm still playing my Dreamcast version.
Old 04-08-02, 09:34 PM
Retired

I've yet to hit an invisible wall in the GCN version of 2K2. I have occasionally had a player stop when getting a pass on a break, but it's only happened a few times.
Old 04-08-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This game is definitely worth getting. I love it! I sold Courtside to get this game. My only gripe is that you can't take edited rosters into Franchise mode and you can't have 2 human controlled teams in Franchise.
Old 04-08-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i love it, best basketball game i've played. very realistic.