Reload this Page >

Squaresoft on Gamecube, not a joke!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Squaresoft on Gamecube, not a joke!

Old 03-11-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
BTW I think SEGA's little blue mascot running around on a nintendo system and appearing in Nintendo's starladden game (SSB:M) is more hell freezing news. albeit old news.
Sonic isn't in Smash Bros. It was an April Fool's joke. Smash Bros. only uses Nintendo-created characters. It would be great to see Simon Belmont, Megaman, Sonic, and others show up in the sequel, but it won't happen.
Old 03-11-02, 12:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Planet Gamecube has some more details:

The latest issue of Weekly Toyo Keizai, a Japanese business magazine, features an article on Square’s decision to once again develop games for Nintendo’s consoles. Here is a summary of the article (translated from Japanese, of course).

Akitoshi Kawazu, the leader of Square’s second production unit and a board member, will head the new company, which will be formed in March. The new company will be responsible for porting some of the existing popular Square titles to the GBA. The company also plans to develop games that utilize the GBA and GC link. The company received development funding from Fund Q, which was formed by Nintendo’s president, Hiroshi Yamauchi.

Sony, who owns 19% of Square, agreed last October to let Square develop under the condition that this settlement will not influence future PS2 game development decisions. As a result, to meet this condition, Square will form a new company that will be independent from Sony. It should also be noted that Square invested 49% into the new company while Kawazu‘s investment represents 51% of the stake. Since Kawazu has the majority of the stake, he will have control over the company’s operations.

The article continued to comment that this new company will be no more than a paper company as the actual development will come from the second production unit of Square, which consists of around 10 developers.
The full article
Old 03-11-02, 01:23 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

Sonic isn't in Smash Bros. It was an April Fool's joke. Smash Bros. only uses Nintendo-created characters. It would be great to see Simon Belmont, Megaman, Sonic, and others show up in the sequel, but it won't happen.
I think the next game will have more than just Nintendo characters in it. Likely it will just be Sega characters, but that will still be neat. Miyamota recently said (in one of those 900 European interviews that have been posted on Planet Gamecube and cube.ign) that there is a good chance that Sonic will be in the GCN Mario Cart game, so if that pans out it's likely that Sega characters will be in the next SSB. Mega Man and Simon Belmont etc are less likely, we might see something from Namco though, in addition to Sega. The reason being that Nintendo, Sega and Namco just teamed up to do the Triforce Arcade board and a new SSB game is rumored to be in the works for the board. It's all rumor now though, hopefully we'll here something at E3.
Old 03-11-02, 06:14 PM

Right now it's being reported the first game to come from this agreement is "Final Fantasy Tactics" for GBA.

Not something I'll be buying, in other words.

A game that plays concurrent on GBA/GC is being rumored to be out by December (most likely in Japan)... It has a "Final Fantasy" moniker. I'm guessing, a FF Unlimited GC/GBA game.
Old 03-11-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mattalos
Right now it's being reported the first game to come from this agreement is "Final Fantasy Tactics" for GBA.

Not something I'll be buying, in other words.
Holy batarangs i loved FF Tactics. I actually purchased it and FF7 at the same time and never played FF7 because i spent all my time playing and replaying Tactics. Man i would also love for there to be a sequel to this.
Old 03-11-02, 10:18 PM

I just beat it again about a two weeks ago ... then I traded it. I don't think I need to buy it for a third time just because I can take it with me. KnowhutImsayin?
Old 03-11-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whoa thanks for the info, the news keeps getting better the more that comes out. I also love Final Fantasy Tactics, its the best turn based strategy RPG I've ever played on a console, and has some of the most wonderfully composed music in any game. I haven't played this game since it came out way back when I'm looking forward to getting it.
Old 03-12-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Look at the fanboy rearing his ugly head...

(I'll let you decide whom I'm speaking of.)
Old 03-12-02, 06:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Look at the fanboy rearing his ugly head...

(I'll let you decide whom I'm speaking of.)
If you have a problem with someone report the thread to a moderator. No need to resort to name-calling.
Old 03-12-02, 09:37 PM

LOL -- good times.

Last edited by Mattalos; 03-12-02 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-12-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's all good, just asslong as I don't see Square and X-Box in the same sentence then tis all good. I have both GC and PS2, but i decided not to get the Xbox too. I just don't like it. Hey, i think its awsome that there making FF series games for GC.
Old 03-14-02, 09:24 PM
Banned

No games for GC....

GameSpot
Old 03-14-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No games for GC....

GameSpot
That article doesn't say that.
Old 03-14-02, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Kellehair

That article doesn't say that.
Umm....

The objective of the new company is to develop GBA titles, so GameCube titles are not a part of the plan
yeah...
Old 03-14-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And here's the very next sentence...

"But because the Game Boy Advance and GameCube allow for link connectivity, we may make use of such a feature in the future."
This issue obvioulsy hasn't been decided.
Old 03-14-02, 11:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Kellehair
And here's the very next sentence...

This issue obvioulsy hasn't been decided.
No, for the time being, it has been decided. They may do a lot of things in the future. There is a huge difference between saying you are doing something and saying you might do something. They are saying that they are going to publish for the GBA and not for the GC right now, and that they might decide to publish for the GC in the future. Don't hold your breath.
Old 03-15-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not like we were going to see an FF game on the Cube tomorrow. All of this is going to happen in the future. Whether they make games for the Cube or not is anyone's guess.

I don't even care really. With few exceptions, Square has really sucked lately. I just want the GBA remakes of their classic games. Still, it would be nice to have the FF series on the Cube. Hopefully they will decide to port them over.
Old 03-15-02, 01:31 PM

According to Planet Gamecube, the latest Famitsu reported highlights of the deal. It states that the new Final Fantasy game that uses the GC/GBA link will be available this Christmas (in Japan, at least). And it would be hard for a game to use the GC/GBA link if there was no GameCube version...
Old 03-15-02, 01:45 PM

Normally I don't get involved in petty back-and-forths, but I do find it particularly annoying when I read this:

Originally posted by joshd2012
No games for GC....

GameSpot
and then I follow the link and the first sentence is this:

Late last week, it was revealed that Square plans to establish an affiliate company for the purposes of developing games for Nintendo's Game Boy Advance and GameCube.
That's the very first sentence! Come on, Man, get your act together.
Old 03-15-02, 01:55 PM
Banned

Okay. The first sentence says that last week is was revealed that Square was going to establish a company which was to make GC and GBA games. It was revealed, not announced. If you go further in the article, you will see the quote which I posted saying that there is no plans as of right now to make any GC games. You can believe whoever you want as far as wheter they are going to make GC games or not. Personally, I am going to believe the investment relations guy from Square, not a magazine or a leaked story.
Old 03-15-02, 06:16 PM
Retired

Everything has pointed at the first game being a Final Fantasy game that uses the connection between the GBA and the GCN. I don't care what the article says, or how one person reads it. We'll see games from this Square company on both the GBA and the GCN.

Below is info from www.planetgamecube.com from a two-page article on the Nintendo/Square deal in Famitsu, the most reliable gaming magazine. The article again says that games will appear on the GBA AND Gamecube. Pay attention to the bolded phrases.

The latest Famitsu ran a two page article on the Nintendo Square deal. PGC brings you the highlights.

On March 9, Square officially announced that they will be developing for Nintendo’s console again after 6 years of standoff. Square will form another company, which is temporarily called Game Designers Studio, [/b]to develop games for the GBA and GC. [/b]Highlights from the articles are summarized below:

Kawazu-san, a board member and game developer of Square, owns 51% of Game Designers Studio while Square owns 49%
Kawaza-san, who has been involved in Final Fantasy I and II, Romancing Saga, and Saga Frontier, will head Game Designers Studio.

Game Designers Studio is the first company to use funds from Fund Q.

A new Final Fantasy that supports the GC/GBA link is scheduled to be released this Christmas

Square plans to release 3 or 4 GBA games within 2002

One of these GBA titles is Final Fantasy Tactics

Final Fantasy XI and XII is still planned to be released for PS2

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 03-15-02 at 06:36 PM.