Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Buffy coming to PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Buffy coming to PS2?

I saw the game at xbox.com and figured that it might make it's way to PS2 since it is by EA. If it doesn't this is the first game on Xbox that I really want.
Old 02-28-02, 02:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

No it's not.
Old 02-28-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is X-Box exclusive as it stands now. Originally it was going multi-platform but they have dropped that idea.
Old 02-28-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure it's an Xbox exclusive for now, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it coming out for the other platforms eventually.
Old 02-28-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe not Buffy, but apparently Britney is.
Old 08-14-02, 01:27 PM

Bump

Any word on whether this is coming to PS2? This would probably be the only reason for me to upgrade to a XBox......
Old 08-14-02, 01:29 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by belboz
Maybe not Buffy, but apparently Britney is.
Britney's on the Xbox?
Old 08-14-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other way around (I think): There's a Britney dance game for the PS2.
Old 08-14-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SatchVai69
Bump

Any word on whether this is coming to PS2? This would probably be the only reason for me to upgrade to a XBox......
Buffy would be that reason? puh-lease...don't get me wrong, Buffy looks alright. But you need to think about Halo, Hunter: the Reckoning, NFL 2k3, Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue II, etc...
Old 08-14-02, 03:54 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Gromit
The other way around (I think): There's a Britney dance game for the PS2.
That's what I thought too.
Old 08-14-02, 03:55 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by SuprVgeta

Buffy would be that reason? puh-lease...don't get me wrong, Buffy looks alright. But you need to think about Halo, Hunter: the Reckoning, NFL 2k3, Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue II, etc...
As the saying goes, "To each their own." (that's right, isn't it?)
Old 08-14-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shawn

As the saying goes, "To each their own." (that's right, isn't it?)
True. But just reminding him to not forget about the other great games
Old 08-14-02, 04:05 PM

What can I say? I'm a big fan of the show, and I played it at the Wizard World convention in Chicago and absolutely loved it....Don't get me wrong, Halo is a great game as well, but for me the deciding factor would be a Buffy game....I guess I'm just weird, one of my fav games for the PS2 is Batman: Vengence, again based off one of my fav tv shows, go figure
Old 08-14-02, 06:43 PM
Banned

Well the box says "Only on Xbox", and it should be a decent seller, but not huge.. so I don't think they'll plan to move it to PS2...

Maybe in the future sometime, but I doubt it.. Besides, the best version will be on Xbox, and for a long time at the very least it will be the only version.

-Jim
Old 08-14-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be getting an Xbox if just for this game, of course it'll be nice to have cross-platform games as well since they look better than their PS2 counterparts.

~Scheherazade
Old 08-14-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I hate to be the bearer of negative thoughts, but have ya'll heard the bad buzz on this game? I rarely see as much negativity in a preview as IGN had for this one, and IGN is usually a love-fest. This looks like another mediocre to poor game that's coasting on the license.

Some of the early reviews are less than promising as well.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/5078.asp

Lately, we've seen plenty of bad beat-em-ups and plenty of bad licensed games, on all platforms. I'd say buyer beware on Buffy.
Old 08-14-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
Xbox

Collective Studios

Fox Interactive

Adventure

It's time to get your hands bloody. Step into the slayground

25 Jul 02 On the outside Buffy appears to be the very embodiment of a sweet, rosy-cheeked, all-American gal. However, beneath that cheerleading bimbo exterior lies the pit bull fighting instincts of a merciless vigilante. See, Sunnydale's sexiest slayer doesn't negotiate with her enemies in words. Instead she relies on her lightning feet and fists to do the talking, and when she gets into her ass-kicking groove it's like watching a woman possessed. So if you happen to have reasonably long fang-like incisors, dislike sunbathing and don't particularly dig momma's famous garlic dough balls, steer clear of this little madam. Otherwise you could find yourself lying in a pile of ash having been impaled through the heart with a wooden stake. What a bitch! Yep, but that's our kind of lady.

GIRL'S GOT GAME
Developer The Collective has devoted a great deal of attention and time to the combat in Buffy on Xbox, and it shows. As you might expect, the moves and brawls are not nearly as complex or deep as the kinds of fights featured in Virtua Fighter 4 or Tekken 4, but Buffy's arsenal of cool slaying abilities still feels very fluid and it's all easy to master. Buffy's fighting style is extremely well suited to the style of adventure you're faced with, which often involves fending off multiple attackers in multi-platform areas. The tight-bunned heroine can leap around effortlessly and string together slick-looking vicious combos. And by holding down the kick or punch button of your last move, you unleash a super-powerful attack, drawing energy from your Slayer Power bar which is situated above your health bar. This gauge gets topped up every time you collect a purple orb from a dead creature - an effective system similar to the one used in Devil May Cry.

ASHES TO ASHES
As you slay your way through the game, you pick up a mint collection of special moves, like the Super Cyclone Backfist, which can be used to annihilate loads of enemies when you're surrounded. But the standard combat can be equally thrilling due to some smart devices and methods - all of them handy for disposing of enemies in different spectacular ways. You're fighting one creature and another attacks you from behind. So you sharply snap the analog stick in their direction and hit punch or kick and Buffy swiftly deals out a hard blow that sends them spiralling through the air and smashing through a gravestone. In another situation you spy some sharp bits of wood piled up in a box against a wall, and when you kick a vamp across the room and into the sharp woodpile they turn to dust, just as they would if you slammed a stake through their heart. That's gonna sting.

CHEW ON THIS, FREAK
With her awesome collection of weapons, such as a water gun that fires holy water and doubles up as a makeshift flamethrower, a crossbow with sniping capabilities, and a razor-sharp boomerang, busting heads as Buffy is indeed a joy. But this is where our rant about the classy combat ends and the criticisms kick in. Unfortunately, the adventure itself feels painfully linear and the level design isn't nearly as sharp, original or exciting as we'd hoped. Admittedly, The Collective has managed to capture the atmosphere from the TV show very well, with good character likenesses, cheesy humour and haunting music, but the environments feel extremely one-dimensional.
Although you are encouraged to explore levels by solving small simple puzzles, when hunting for ways to access new areas there is usually only one route from A to B. What's more, the textures and layout of each stage look quite flat and underwhelming, leaving you with the feeling that you're on a TV set and not actually immersed in a Buffy universe.

IS BUFFY ENOUGHY?
Great movie and TV game tie-ins are about as rare as a decent Arnold Schwarzenegger flick nowadays. However, although Buffy on Xbox hasn't done what the likes of GoldenEye or Spider-Man managed to achieve, fans of the TV series should get off on the final product. Even if you happen to be one of those tight-arsed Buffy geeks who has a fit whenever an element of the slayer's world is misrepresented, fear not because although the game does not recreate a plot from any particular episode; the story is set within the events of the third series and acts as a nice complement to the TV show. Of course, beat 'em up lovers are sure to get a big kick out of Buffy's furious beast-bashing action too - with loads of fast, energetic and stylish combat against tons of nasties and boss creatures, it's difficult not to get sucked into the action. Michael Cooper
Old 08-14-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by s}{ammer
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
Xbox

CHEW ON THIS, FREAK
With her awesome collection of weapons, such as a water gun that fires holy water and doubles up as a makeshift flamethrower, a crossbow with sniping capabilities, and a razor-sharp boomerang, busting heads as Buffy is indeed a joy. But this is where our rant about the classy combat ends and the criticisms kick in. Unfortunately, the adventure itself feels painfully linear and the level design isn't nearly as sharp, original or exciting as we'd hoped. Admittedly, The Collective has managed to capture the atmosphere from the TV show very well, with good character likenesses, cheesy humour and haunting music, but the environments feel extremely one-dimensional.
Although you are encouraged to explore levels by solving small simple puzzles, when hunting for ways to access new areas there is usually only one route from A to B. What's more, the textures and layout of each stage look quite flat and underwhelming, leaving you with the feeling that you're on a TV set and not actually immersed in a Buffy universe.

[/B]
That's a 7 out of 10 review. EGM gave it a 6.5, but that review isn't online yet. The official Xbox magazine gave it a 9 out of 10, but I don't know whether that's a reliable publication or not.

Most of the impressions I'm getting is that this is a mediocre game, and I usually avoid games rated below 8, or even 8.5, especially now that I have two consoles. If you want to slaughter the undead, Devil May Cry is the best beat-em-up to come out in years. The sequel is coming out on PS2 in a couple of months, and RE0 is coming out on Gamecube. Both will probably be better games than Buffy. Of course, they don't have Buffy in them, but neither does the Buffy game. It just has a Buffy impersonator.

Further, there is no multiplayer, and the levels are pretty linear. The replayability factor sounds kinda low You could probably borrow an Xbox, rent this game, and beat it over a weekend.

With the PS2 going online a mere week after Buffy comes out, I just can't imagine this game being enough of a deal-maker to make you buy an Xbox at this point. It might be a better idea to wait until after Xbox Live launches, and see if MS is, at that point, whomping PS2 online.

It's your money, but with SOCOM and Mario coming out that week, and each of them apparently offering a heckuva lot of gaming goodness for the buck, I just can't see the short, linear Buffy game being that tantalizing, even for die-hard fans.

Remember, an Xbox game costs almost as much as two buffy season box sets.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 08-14-02 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-14-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you know, I forgot I preordered socom and with nfl2k3 or madden 2003 out now and the network adapter I might as well wait since I really don't have enough time to play what I have now. Thanks for bringing me back to the real world scandal.
Old 08-15-02, 12:46 AM
Banned

Scandal just brought you to his world..

He hates when someone buys an Xbox.. Everytime someone does he cringes.

I imagine the game is fun if you like that type of thing.. Similar to Crazy Taxi 3.. It's ratings were in the 60-70% range in most places, but I love it and play it tons, and it was one of teh games I looked forward to most when buying the Xbox.

Scandal buys games based on reviews, if a game is 70%+ that means its average or good, and to decide yourself.. Onimusha got great ratings (90+) and I thought it sucked arse.

When you eventually buy an Xbox, and you will, enjoy your Buffy.

-Jim
Old 08-15-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weird detail from Gamespot: SMG doesn't voice Buffy even though most of the other characters are done by the real actors.
Old 08-15-02, 12:09 PM
Banned

Not all that weird.. SMG is the only real big star, she would cost tons..

So they get a sound-alike for Buffy, and use the rest of the stars for themselves.

-Jim
Old 08-15-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by YujiNaka

I imagine the game is fun if you like that type of thing.. Similar to Crazy Taxi 3.. It's ratings were in the 60-70% range in most places, but I love it and play it tons, and it was one of teh games I looked forward to most when buying the Xbox.

Scandal buys games based on reviews, if a game is 70%+ that means its average or good, and to decide yourself.. Onimusha got great ratings (90+) and I thought it sucked arse.

When you eventually buy an Xbox, and you will, enjoy your Buffy.

-Jim
I don't buy games based on reviews. I said that I should be able to buy games based on reviews. Unfortunately, most reviews are written in such a way that if a game is mediocre, they will not sway you away from buying it.

Also, I am annoyed that, in spite of all the hands-on previews, you can't get enough information about a game to determine whether it's a safe bet to pre-order

I have two consoles, and there are enough really good games that I can't see any reason to buy games that are less than stellar. My rule of thumb for licensed games is that you want to buy the game, not the license. So if the game is appealing to people who don't care much about the license, such as Goldeneye, the PS1 Spider Man Game, Tony Hawk, or Rogue Leader, you've got a good bet.

The last thing anyone needs is another short, linear beat-em-up. Especially with Devil May Cry at such a low price now.
Old 08-15-02, 01:41 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by ScandalUMD

The last thing anyone needs is another short, linear beat-em-up. Especially with Devil May Cry at such a low price now.
Come on, if DMC was exclusive to the Xbox and Buffy exclusive to the PS2, you and I both know you'd say, "get the one on the Ps2!".
Old 08-15-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ive heard its gonna be Xbox exclusive... I went through this when trying to decide which to buy...so I went with Xbox...For me, the games I wanted seemed to be on both consoles, and Buffy was to be Xbox only...made the decision easier for me...plus I discovered Halo in the process.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.