Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Silent Hill 2 question......

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-26-02, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or does James do too much walking/running in the beginning of the game? After getting the map, he enters the woods. Are there any items to get before he enters the cemetary? There seems to be just too much walking and no action. You hear sounds in the background, but nothing ever emerges. I would have thought there would be more action at the start of the game.

Am I missing something here?

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this?
Old 02-26-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing happens for the first 15 minutes of the game but I don't think that's a problem. It was very creepy walking around in the cemetary, in thick fog, without a weapon while hearing all those ungodly noises in the background. Plus, the Silent Hill games are more than action games, and in some cases less than action games. SH2 especially is much more a psychological game than an action one.
Old 02-26-02, 02:19 PM

Anyone else has any comments on this game?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by IndyDVDGuru
Anyone else has any comments on this game?

Thanks.
I haven't gotten too far in the game but I am loving it! My favorite genre is along the lines of survival horror/thriller like silient hill, resident evil, etc.. can't wait till I have some days off so I can play more.
Old 02-26-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you looking for thoughts on the game or the first 15 minutes? There's not too much that can be said about the first 15 minutes but there's lot to talk about in regards to the game in general.
Old 02-26-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You've only begun to walk.......Be prepared for alot of it.....
Old 02-26-02, 03:32 PM

I am looking for thoughts on the game in general. I was just surprised that there wasn't any action going on in the first 15 minutes. I guess they want you to get a feel for the game and put you in the right frame of mind! I just wasn't sure if there were any items to pick up in the woods.

mljones99 - I'm in the same situation. I only played the game for about an hour last night, but it seems very promising. I'd like to play more during the day, but I don't think my wife would appreciate our two boys witnessing the violence and blood-shed!
Old 02-27-02, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am looking for thoughts on the game in general. I was just surprised that there wasn't any action going on in the first 15 minutes. I guess they want you to get a feel for the game and put you in the right frame of mind! I just wasn't sure if there were any items to pick up in the woods.

mljones99 - I'm in the same situation. I only played the game for about an hour last night, but it seems very promising. I'd like to play more during the day, but I don't think my wife would appreciate our two boys witnessing the violence and blood-shed!

The action is secondary in this game. Don't expect Halo. 75% of the time you'll be walking around and solving puzzles....
Old 02-27-02, 07:56 AM

After you beat the game and you start a new game you will find a
Spoiler:
chainsaw
while having your stroll though the woods.

-Dean-
Old 02-27-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Silent Hill 2 is an adventure game, so don't expect an action or survival horror game. While it's kinda like Resident Evil in some ways, Silent Hill 2 is more of an adventure game (one of the oldest types of video games). Some people love it, some people don't like it. If you're not creeped out or having fun by the first 20 minutes, you probably won't get much out of this game.
Old 02-27-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Some people love it, some people don't like it. If you're not creeped out or having fun by the first 20 minutes, you probably won't get much out of this game.
That was how I felt about it. I did not like the game at all and I traded in my copy a month after I got it. It was a little to slow for me.
Old 02-28-02, 02:15 PM

I'd like to play more during the day
Don't! You'd completely kill the mood. I haven't even seen the second one, but I remember playing the first one alone at night with all the lights off and the sound cranked up. I had no idea a game could be so damn_scary.
Old 02-28-02, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Don't! You'd completely kill the mood. I haven't even seen the second one, but I remember playing the first one alone at night with all the lights off and the sound cranked up. I had no idea a game could be so damn_scary.
This is how I played Silent Hill 2 on Xbox. It does help add to the atmosphere of the game, at least for me it did. Plus, the 'Noise' adjustment was set to 'ON'. I think that grainy look added to the overall experience as well.