Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox Japanese launch appears to be disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-02, 07:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger

I think we should just drop it... this arguement is just going around in circles. A few months go by without more than 3 or 4 games and xbox haters think it's sluggish... obviously forgetting about the 35 or so launch titles. Anyway - I just don't see how these exchanges are getting us anywhere. It's the same thing over and over.
I guess you're right. But I was honestly interested in where Darkside was getting that from.
Old 03-02-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

The lineup is anything but Sluggish. Why do you say that?
Their Japanese launch lineup was certainly pretty lackluster, and the sales show it. DOA 3 is a pretty weak centerpiece when VF4 has been out for over a month there. Microsoft's approach was all advertising, and no software. Meanwhile, the Gamecube launch (which only had three games) actually sold 50,000 more consoles, and sales of the Cube have picked up since Smash Bros and Pikmin came out.

And really, unless you are a wrestling fan, JSRF is the only exlusive game since launch that has looked to be worth getting for XBox.

The XBox lineup is better than the PS2 lineup a year ago, but that comparison hardly matters. Many people pointed out that the XBox launch lineup was better than the PS2 launch lineup, but that didn't matter either. The PS2 launched against the dying Dreamcast. XBox launched against Grand Theft Auto 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2.

Really, with XBox shaping up to be a distant second, or maybe third in US sales, and a non-entity in Japan, I don't see how it could get very many exclusive games from third parties. And Microsoft does not have the in-house developing muscle that Nintendo enjoys.

Unless Microsoft can secure some quality exclusives it's going to be a tough road for the XBox, especially in Japan. The XBox offensive seems to have been weathered by the Playstation 2, and the Sony system is still very much on top. I'd be surprised if Microsoft ever makes its money back on XBox.
Old 03-02-02, 09:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

You were right, Trigger. This is starting to sound like a broken record in here. I'll finish what I started and say, you guys who are critical of the Xbox have your opinions. Other people have theirs. Let's just leave it at that.
Old 03-02-02, 09:58 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

You were right, Trigger. This is starting to sound like a broken record in here. I'll finish what I started and say, you guys who are critical of the Xbox have your opinions. Other people have theirs. Let's just leave it at that.
I agree. Let the haters hate if it makes them feel better about themselves.

We will just have to "suffer" through our slugish XBox lineup with some JSRF now and some Rallisport Challenge / TH3 action on Tuesday. Oh well.
Old 03-02-02, 10:43 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay

I agree. Let the haters hate if it makes them feel better about themselves.

So just because some one doesn't like the type of games on the X-box that makes them an X-box hater? I have nothing against the X-box, it just doesn't offer the type of games I like to play.
Old 03-02-02, 11:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by joshhinkle

So just because some one doesn't like the type of games on the X-box that makes them an X-box hater? I have nothing against the X-box, it just doesn't offer the type of games I like to play.

Some people have revealed themselves to be continually biased against certain consoles (not pointing fingers, don't mean you Josh). I think that's what Flay and Trigger could be referring to when they say haters. That might be harsh, but it just shows the frustration when trying to talk to others about something and whenever they open their mouth the same thing comes out. Let's not dwell on this either, there's no point in doing so unless you're trying to pick an argument, and I know you're not, so it's all kool and the gang.
Old 03-03-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I'm I hater. I guess thats why I bought a Xbox two weeks ago. I hated it so much I had to have one. The lineup is very lackluster IMO, however, I knew that going in. I have a right to be disapointed in the fact Microsoft is not releasing their own A+ stuff for the console. Its like Nintendo only releasing Mario Sunshine and Zelda for the PC and passing on the Game Cube.
Old 03-03-02, 01:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

What games do you have for it? Have you rented any? I think the lineup is a little shallow RIGHT NOW, but once the summer rolls around it gets better in a hurry.
Old 03-03-02, 01:11 AM
Mod Emeritus

MS doesn't want to put their stuff on their console because they know they'll get sharp criticism about it being a dumping ground for PC games. And besides, we don't know exactly what MS has up its sleeve for next year. They could definitely pull a few rabbits out of the hat at E3.
Old 03-03-02, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What games do you have for it? Have you rented any? I think the lineup is a little shallow RIGHT NOW, but once the summer rolls around it gets better in a hurry.

I bought Halo of course. (I suck at it, but its fun) Other than that I've rented Raw and Wreckless so far. Okay games to play, but not ones I would buy. Other than that there really isn't a whole lot I want at the moment. I'm trying to decide between getting NBA2K2 for the Xbox, waiting for the Game Cube version, or just skipping it and staying with the Dreamcast version. 2K3 will probably be out in sixth months, so I may just wait.

I'm just hoping the announce some of their own PC stuff at E3.
Old 03-03-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how can we really know if something is a failure or a sucess after just one week. maybe as the game library increases, the sales numbers go up. i think its too soon to tell.
Old 03-03-02, 10:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by darkside

I bought Halo of course. (I suck at it, but its fun) Other than that I've rented Raw and Wreckless so far. Okay games to play, but not ones I would buy. Other than that there really isn't a whole lot I want at the moment. I'm trying to decide between getting NBA2K2 for the Xbox, waiting for the Game Cube version, or just skipping it and staying with the Dreamcast version. 2K3 will probably be out in sixth months, so I may just wait.

I'm just hoping the announce some of their own PC stuff at E3.
Cool. You need to try NBA Inside Drive and Amped. Not to mention Jet Grind Radio Future! Tony Hawk 3 is coming out soon and it's supposed to have more extras too. RalliSport Challenge is supposed to be the BOMB, too.
Old 03-03-02, 01:15 PM

Opinions Opinions.......

Is the X-box in Japan a failure or Success? That's an open question only time will tell maybe the launch was lacking a killer app title to draw the masses into buying the X-box and if MS is really serious in staying in the console business they might achieve long term success with some great games but right now the launch was how do you put it? Not very spectactular for it's debut in Japan.
Old 03-03-02, 02:31 PM
Retired

Some people have revealed themselves to be continually biased against certain consoles (not pointing fingers, don't mean you Josh). I think that's what Flay and Trigger could be referring to when they say haters. That might be harsh, but it just shows the frustration when trying to talk to others about something and whenever they open their mouth the same thing comes out. Let's not dwell on this either, there's no point in doing so unless you're trying to pick an argument, and I know you're not, so it's all kool and the gang.

I understand this. It just urks me when people can't take criticism of things they like. This thread was started basically in a way that necessitates discussing the merits of the X-boxes game line-up, as that's what will ultimately determine whether it catches on in Japan, and whether it or the Gamecube get second place in the U.S.

The fact of the matter is that the X-box is catering to a niche market crowd that likes U.S. type games like FPS, racing etc. right now, and the same could be said about the Gamecube with it's abundance of "kiddy" games, and lack of games for the "mature" crowd.

I love my Gamecube, and the line-up of games if perfect for me. However, I'm not so naive to think that it's a perfect line-up and that it can be successfull by continuing to put out the same types of games.

X-box fans need to wake up and realize the same thing. If the X-box just keeps pumping out these american type of games like FPS, Amercan style RPG's, etc, then it's never going to be a huge success like the PS2, which has something for everyone. And the same's true with the Gamecube.

My gripe is that people on everyside of the console "war" need to be more open minded to criticism of "their" console as neither the X-box or Gamecube are perfect from the stand point of having something for everyone and being a guaranteed success. Before someone accuses me of being a PS2 fanboy, I don't even own the system, it just has the most varied line-up of games.
Old 03-03-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle

The fact of the matter is that the X-box is catering to a niche market crowd that likes U.S. type games like FPS, racing etc. right now, and the same could be said about the Gamecube with it's abundance of "kiddy" games, and lack of games for the "mature" crowd.

I love my Gamecube, and the line-up of games if perfect for me. However, I'm not so naive to think that it's a perfect line-up and that it can be successfull by continuing to put out the same types of games.

X-box fans need to wake up and realize the same thing. If the X-box just keeps pumping out these american type of games like FPS, Amercan style RPG's, etc, then it's never going to be a huge success like the PS2, which has something for everyone. And the same's true with the Gamecube.
Well, the PS2 has a huge number of installed consoles. That's why it gets all those games. I, for one, won't argue that Mr. Mosquito is a great thing for the console. Supposedly, the whole mosquito thing, is constructed as an elaborate metaphor for rape. That connection may be obscured for the translation, but the game sounds like it was developed by sociopaths, and I want nothing to do with it.

XBox seems to be catering to PC Gamers and Dreamcast fans. Halo was a major coup in selling XBox to PC Gamers, but most console gamers weren't even aware of the game. Regardless of any subjective claims about the system and its library, it does not appear to have the momentum to ever overtake, or even come close, to the installed base of the PS2.

As for the Gamecube offering "kiddy" titles, most people who make this complaint, I think, must be about 15 years old, and too young to remember the NES or SNES. Most "mature" gamers grew up with Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Most of us have fond memories of the original StarFox. And as long as the game is challenging, it really isn't any more fun to shoot zombies than it is to run around in the Mushroom Kingdom. A lot of older gamers owned the N64 because they love those "kiddy" franchises. If you grew up with a Playstation, maybe it's hard to see the appeal of Super Smash Bros, but for many gamers, Samus vs. Link is a hell of a lot more compelling than the latest chapter in the ongoing adventures of Heihachi and his unfortunate haircut.
Old 03-03-02, 04:29 PM
Retired

I agree with everything you said about Nintendo and "kiddy" and "mature" games in general. That's why I was put those terms in quotes in my original post. I was explaining the point of view of the average gamer, and the directions the X-box and GCN need to branch off into to win the battle for second place. As I said above, I love my GCN and all it's "kiddy" games.
Old 03-03-02, 05:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

No one will say that the Xbox has a strong chance in Japan. No one. At least at this point. However to dismiss the Xbox game lineup and its blooming and coming out with a nicer selection week after week while the PS2's biggest spring title turned out to be a big dud, and the GCN is stagnating, is ridiculous. Right now the Xbox has more games and selection than the GCN. I can only play Wave Race and SSB:M for so long. Right now the Xbox is coming out with the best ports and pretty good selection. I don't see why it's the whipping boy of PS2 and GCN owners. I own the Xbox and GCN and they are both nice. I'll probably get the PS2 when it goes way down in price (unless the PS3 rocks and is backwards compatible for PS2 and PS1).

I don't even see the FPS niche, Max Payne and Halo make it a FPS niche console? What about the best version of Tony Hawk 3 being released next week or an awesome new race game? What about the best Snowboarding game on the market, Amped? What about a very nice release of Jet Grind Radio? Your personal biases aside, you may hate all those games, but it's not a shabby lineup at all! I don't care if the Japanese developers jump on the bandwagon, I don't need to play some game about a mosquito that metaphorically symbolized rape or whatever. Give me Sega and I'm happy guy. I loved the Dreamcast and now I'm loving the Xbox.

Didn't own the N64, and that seems like a good thing since many of the current best GCN games are rehashed for that. So Smash Bros., Wave Race, and Rogue Leader all play fresh to me.

Anyway, it's obvious nobody is going to pass up the PS2, at least at this point. But the other consoles both have plenty to offer and by the end of the year, if the PS2 and Xbox guys don't envy a Gamecuber playing Zelda and Mario, I'd be surprised. Not to mention Gamecubers and PS2 people envying that awesome new star wars RPG or Project EGO. And of course the PS2 will have plenty for everyone that I'm sure the Xboxers and GameCubers will envy (GTA4?).

The glass isn't half empty, it's half full.
Old 03-03-02, 06:32 PM

I seen the current list of Xbox titles to come. Almost nil are of interest to me. So many of them are "PC" games" that I'm so turned off that I'm doing schoolwork over Xbox! I really want to get an Xbox, --GC and PS2 too--, but there is nothing to truly attract me and dupe me into spending $300+, when the majority of them will come to the PC anyways. I'll take Mister Mosquito anyday then another FPS/RTS clone planned for Xbox.
Old 03-03-02, 06:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by DVD Lamer
I seen the current list of Xbox titles to come. Almost nil are of interest to me. So many of them are "PC" games" that I'm so turned off that I'm doing schoolwork over Xbox! I really want to get an Xbox, --GC and PS2 too--, but there is nothing to truly attract me and dupe me into spending $300+, when the majority of them will come to the PC anyways. I'll take Mister Mosquito anyday then another FPS/RTS clone planned for Xbox.
You don't own an Xbox right? If so, what games do you have?
Old 03-03-02, 06:40 PM

Answer is in the reply.
Old 03-03-02, 06:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Answer is in the reply.

You contradicted yourself, first you said this "So many of them are "PC" games" that I'm so turned off that I'm doing schoolwork over Xbox!" which meant basically you have an Xbox but aren't playing it then you said you want to get an Xbox. Which is it?
Old 03-03-02, 06:53 PM

Reread the whole thing. It is quite clear.
Old 03-03-02, 06:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Reread the whole thing. It is quite clear.

No, not really. But anyway, PC ports? Huh? What besides Max Payne is a PC port on the Xbox right now. Please cite some specific examples.
Old 03-03-02, 07:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

I thought I'd analyze your post a little more and see how clear it is.

I seen the current list of Xbox titles to come. Almost nil are of interest to me.
OK, I "seen" it too, and I be thinkin' it be a great lineup.

So many of them are "PC" games" that I'm so turned off that I'm doing schoolwork over Xbox!
In this case that's a good thing! So you are getting turned off by "PC" games that haven't been released yet in the future and just thinking about those games makes you do homework? Or do you have a time machine of some sort where you go into the future and play those games but get really bored and then do your schoolwork?

I really want to get an Xbox, --GC and PS2 too--,
So now you "want to get an Xbox, --GC and PS2 too--,"? Wait, what happened above to getting bored by the games that you want to do your homework? You want to get all three systems so I guess you don't have any of them? So what's stopping you from doing your homework now?

I'll take Mister Mosquito anyday then another FPS/RTS clone planned for Xbox.
Hey, that's cool. What RTS clones are planned anyway? I haven't heard of one yet.

OK, I reread it and it's still not clear. It's a good thing you don't have the Xbox and are so bored with it that you have to do your homework, because now you can just do your homework!
Old 03-03-02, 07:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

By the way, I'm just joking around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.