Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Problems with my PS2...

Old 02-23-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Problems with my PS2...

So my PS2 is about 4 - 5 months old and I'm having some troubles reading some PS2 games. Actually the problem is with two games, Extreme G3 and Star Wars Starfighter. When I insert the disc, the PS2 makes strage grinding noises like it is having trouble reading the disc and I never get past the "Browser / System Configuration" menu. Extreme G3 was bought new but Starfighter was used. I've cleaned both discs as best I could, and they look flawless with no scratches or dust. I have about 10 - 12 other games I've tried (a mix of new and used) and they work fine.

Does this sound like a problem with the PS2 unit itself or could these two game discs just be defective?
Old 02-23-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This sounds like the beginning of the DVD-ROM failure that has happened to many PS2 owners. If its anything like I've seen, the problem will get steadily worse until the drive completely fails.
Old 02-23-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the good news.

I guess I'll ride it out and see how long it lasts.
Old 02-23-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Try putting your system horizontally if it isn't already, but I don't even know if thats a factor in the drive failure, just a suggestion to see if it will load . Mine is vertical but I haven't had problems.
Old 02-23-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My launch PS2 had this problem and my friends launch PS2 also failed several months ago. His newer PS2 was working great up until two weeks ago when Final Fantasy X and Smackdown started locking up. Now Smackdown won't even load. Pretty soon he will have to get his third PS2. I know of at least three other people that are on their second PS2.

Needless to say there are some DVD-ROM problems with Sony units, but why I can't say. I know many people that have had their PS2s over a year with no problems.
Old 02-23-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If this happens are you stuck buying a new PS2, or is there a way to repair it for a reasonable charge? I've had my unit for bit over a month I think... maybe 2... so far no problems, I hope it stays that way... though I'm a bit worried

I do run mine horizontally since I did see a few comments saying this could happen if you had it vertical... dunno if it's true or not, but with a $300 piece of hardware, better safe than sorry.

Brian
Old 02-24-02, 12:13 AM

There are a few DVD drive failures with PS2s, 1. stop reading anything on DVD 2. stop reading blue discs (CDs) or 3. stop reading anything.

SONY has a repair center in Mass. that takes these and repairs (I think) any issue for like $119, you ship to them, return included. Beats $300.
Old 02-25-02, 02:42 AM

I'm having the same problems , I've had my PS2 since launch and now the load times are at least doubled, it still works but I can see that the end is near.
Old 02-25-02, 10:34 AM

I had the same problem with my launch PS2 system. First it started scratching my Madden disc in a circular motion, then it stopped reading discs altogether. Since I bought this over 2 years ago, I figured Sony would do nothing about it, but I was wrong. I called 1-800-345-SONY and spoke to a woman named Olga. I told her about the scratches and the "disc read error" I was getting. She said that this shouldn't be happening, especially the disc scratching. She also told me that she would allow me to send in the unit to their repair center and have the repair fees WAIVED! I was shocked that they would do this after 2 years. It gets better.....They even replaced teh scratched Madden disc for me.

Maybe this has been a big issue with PS2's and they are trying to keep their customers. They shipped my PS2 FED EX about a week and a half after I sent it out and it works great again. They replaced some part called "Device, Optical KHS"

I would try to call them as I did. It wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-25-02, 11:03 PM

According to Game Pro Issue # 163 (April 2002), using the PS2 while in the vertical position can cause the system to scratch games with a blue bottom or CD ROM games. They go on to say that it is due to a magnet being used to hold the disc in place and that since CD ROM games are slimmer than DVD games this can cause the game to slip out. Sony has not reported on the issue, but I personally would not use the vertical stand with my PS2 after reading this.

I let a friend borrow my Tekken Tag game a while back and his PS2 scratched the game to where it will not play anymore. Just thought I would share this and maybe same some people from making the same mistake.

Josh
Old 02-25-02, 11:42 PM

Must be pretty infrequent, then ... I've been using my PS2 in vertical state since launch and have played many CD rom games (been playing a lotta Hitz and Maximo lately). Haven't had a problem.

Not saying it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it yet.
Old 02-25-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the info much appreciated. Especially the info that gave me some glimmer of hope!
Old 02-26-02, 01:18 AM

I also had the same problem PS2 system. I bought it at launch. It wouldn't load any discs except for ps2 dvd-format games. Everything else gave me a "disc read error". I contacted sony via email and told them about my problem. At first, they wanted $130 for repair cost. But after my 4th email, they decided to waive the fee. Try contacting them. Ask them nicely and you might get it fix for free too.
Old 02-26-02, 01:20 AM

How did the e-mails go? Varying levels of anger? Pleading?

It'd be good information for people who might need to contact them and wouldn't want to pay
Old 02-26-02, 03:45 PM

My first and second emails, I was way pissed. I spend $300 on a system and it busted on me within a year? That's just unexceptable. The first reply I got was $130 for repair cost. I got angry and told them that I wasn't my fault and that it was a defective system. They reply by saying they'll find a better solution. My 3rd email stated that they'll cut the repair cost to $65. I reply to their email again saying that it was the company's fault and that I will not ever buy anything else from sony if they can't give me a better soultion to the problem. By the 4th email, they gave in and told me to send the system back to them along with the repair #ID they emailed me. The fee will be waived. Took some time, but I got my system fixed for free.