WWF Raw

THPS 3

GAMECUBE

Bloody Roar: Primal Fury

GAMEBOY ADVANCE

Motorcross Maniacs Advance

Crash Bandicoot

Zone of Enders

Not a lot of great games this month...Hot Shots Golf 3 is obviously the Game of the Month. Circus Maximus, New Legends, UFC Tapout, WWF Raw, and GunValkyrie all seem to disappoint for X-Box. Bloody Roar: Primal Fury disappoints for the GC and State of Emergency (obviously) disappoints for the PS2 according to the scores.

Poor GunValkyrie, so much promise but it seemed to be headed toward disaster from the start. It seems Smilebit didn't learn anything from their E3 showing of the game. I shall rent it though, the idea seems interesting.

JSRF got OK scores, although I'd be interested to see the wording of the reviews between the 9 and the 7s.

Last edited by AgtFox; 02-20-02 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-20-02, 09:33 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never put too much faith in EGM. They slammed NFL Fever 2002 and gave Amped mediocre scores, but those games got a bunch of my playing time.

I agree with a couple of the scores though. Circus Maximus has always looked crappy. As for GunValkyrie, all you had to do was watch one of the videos to get turned away from that game. Also, WWF Raw hasn't met anyone's expectations.

I disagree with the New Legends review because its not inline with the other 3 reviews from Gamespot, Gamespy, and VoodooExtreme (in the 7-8 range).

I disagree with lowballing UFC Tapout. It's already earned a 8.5 from Electric Play.

JSRF probably seems right. Since it's a niche title, 1 out of 3 people will love the game and 2 out of 3 will just think its good.

I think SOE probably deserves a little higher and Bloody Roar got a better score than I expected.
Old 02-20-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Flay
Bloody Roar got a better score than I expected.
That's because you expect all GC titles to suck.

Seriously, this it to bad seeing that the title is supposed to be alot better then previous versions.
Old 02-20-02, 11:34 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay

I disagree with the New Legends review because its not inline with the other 3 reviews from Gamespot, Gamespy, and VoodooExtreme (in the 7-8 range).
I'd attribute that to one of two things.

1. Different reviewers, different opinions.

2. EGM IMO has the most balls of any gaming publications for giving extremely low scores to games they dislike. I think most other mags (and especially web sites) are too concerned about losing advertisers to really trash most games.

I've always respected EGM for the above reason and I usually, but not always, agree with their reviews. You're not going to find a magazine that you always agree with the reviews. For example, I love Wave Race: Blue Storm, but it got a fairly poor review from 2 of the 3 reviewers in EGM.

I've never really bothered with website reviews. The best game journalists/writers are going to work for a magazine. The ones working for the websites are the ones that didn't get hired by a magazine. So the only time I read an online review is when I need an opinon on a game immediately. Even then I usually end up renting it first as I haven't found an online site that I agree with the reviews as much as I do with EGM.
Old 02-20-02, 03:36 PM

Hey Agtfox, where did you get the reviews? Did you get the latest EGM already? I didn't think a new one was due for a week or two still.
Old 02-20-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Craig,

Got it from another forum from someone who gets their issues early. I had no reason not to trust him as he is spot on every month.
Old 02-20-02, 04:12 PM

Cool. I wasn't doubting that you posted legit info, I was just curious how you got it early or if maybe the new EGM is out.
I have actually grown to like EGM lately, they have really turned it around in recent months.
Old 02-20-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know when street date is, but usually subscribers get it 1+ weeks ahead of time.
Old 02-20-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Gunvalkyrie's not due out for about a month -- I highly doubt that the review was based on a release. I could be wrong, but I don't think they'd be sending out gold copies that early.

Tuan Jim