Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Check out this website!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out this website!

Hey, anyone who loves video games or have worked in retail, check this guy out. The website is full of stories from Gord, who owns a video game store and has to deal with idiotic customers. I've been addicted to his rants and bits of intellect for the last couple days now. It's frickin' hilarious. Reminds me of a dorkier Randall from Clerks had he graduated from college. Gord is where it's at.

Acts of Gord
Old 02-15-02, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn you man, I started reading, and I ended up reading the whole site... it's now almost 3am!!! Very funny stuff, hehe. Next time I'm in Surry, BC, I'll be sure to check his store out Not that I plan on being in Canada any time soon.

Brian
Old 02-15-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I finally finished reading the whole site.

That is some funny stuff. Gord is the stuff!
Old 02-15-02, 09:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
That was way too funny, but yet it was also scary that people that stupid exist in this world.
Old 02-15-02, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Trout
That was way too funny, but yet it was also scary that people that stupid exist in this world.
True, but keep in mind that this takes place in Canada. They don't really count.
Old 02-15-02, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Cisco Kid

True, but keep in mind that this takes place in Canada. They don't really count.
So that's why his name is Gord. It all makes sense, eh?
Old 02-15-02, 11:27 AM

Yeah, guess you don't think aboot it when reading.
Old 02-15-02, 12:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's a good site, although the high-falutin style gets old real quick.
Old 02-15-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should also try www.customerssuck.com
Old 02-15-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I worked at a Mom and Pop video game shop for years, so I can relate to and corroborate pretty much everything that "Gord" says.
Old 02-15-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should be damned to hell for this

I have work to get done but here I am reading about the adventures of Gord. Thanks for a little Friday entertainment!
Old 02-15-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there is one thing I hate the most- it's got to be arrogant hobby shop owners. This guy seems to be one of the worst. He obviously treats his customers like **** and I hope his ass is run out of business. There is a difference between idiotic customers and uninformed customers. This guy obviously doesn't know ther difference and he mocks the uninformed right to their face.

Who is this guy anyways? Who has the time to write content for a site like this? Who would design a site to look like something from D&D? Who response to all customer inquiries with nothing but rude and unconstructive sarcasm?......

This guy:
Old 02-15-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been shopping for video games in Burnaby lately, mmconhea?

Although I do think Gord has the benefit of a good scriptwriter, otherwise he is surely the Oscar Wilde of the video game eporium set.
Old 02-15-02, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
If there is one thing I hate the most- it's got to be arrogant hobby shop owners. This guy seems to be one of the worst. He obviously treats his customers like **** and I hope his ass is run out of business. There is a difference between idiotic customers and uninformed customers. This guy obviously doesn't know ther difference and he mocks the uninformed right to their face.

Who is this guy anyways? Who has the time to write content for a site like this? Who would design a site to look like something from D&D? Who response to all customer inquiries with nothing but rude and unconstructive sarcasm?......
As far as I can tell, he is only rude and sarcastic to the moronic customers that a) try to steal from him or b) are idiots. It seems everyone else loves the store. I speculate that he overexaggerates and fills in some gaps to give him the upper hand anyway. The thing about so-called "hobby shops" is that the customers that are in there are there because the shop specializes in their "hobby" and they can get items that they couldn't get anywhere else. The customers mentioned at the bottom of the gene pool could easily take their business to Wal-mart and get incompetent customer service at a better price. But I assume gamers that frequent this store obviously do so because of the rarer selection and the owner's obvious knowledge of gaming. Gord mentions several times that the punks that come in should use manners, and he never gives rude comments without a moronic impetus. I dunno, it sounds like his business is doing fine without being fake and impersonal. Plus, like I said...they're Canadian.....they don't count.
Old 02-15-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked this one:

Oh, how the lower intellects believe they know more than the Gord. In the store there is a rather large projection TV, and these enlightened individuals warn the Gord about how he is going to be cast down into the depths of hell for playing games on it.

Normally a quick "well, it was a problem back when TV's were new and all we had to play was Pong" or "only if you own an RCA, which are half the price for a reason" will bring an end to the issue.

But once this particularly annoying person wouldn't shut up about the forthcoming damnation the Gord was to experience.

"Oh god! Nooooooo!" screamed the Gord as he grabbed the fire extinguisher and hopped the counter. He then books it to the back and unplugs the TV from the power bar, then dives behind a couch and waits for a second to see if there was an explosion.

"Well, that was close! I've been running that TV for 3 years without a problem. Had you not walked in and warned me about the dangers of projection screen TV's, I surely would have been killed in the explosion that was about to occur."

*dramatic pause*

"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.

The young advice columnist left.
Old 02-15-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This site has me ... funny stuff.
Old 02-15-02, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea

Who is this guy anyways? Who has the time to write content for a site like this? Who would design a site to look like something from D&D? Who response to all customer inquiries with nothing but rude and unconstructive sarcasm
Hmm seems to me he's only rude to people of less intelligence or those who intend to rip him off....
Old 02-15-02, 04:46 PM

Fabulous stuff. If he actually says even half that stuff, I want to shake his hand. I especially love the beat-downs on smart mouth kids.

He seems like he's pretty good with customers that aren't trying to steal or otherwise abuse his business.

I pictured him looking like the comic shop guy but now I think he looks more like McBain.
Old 02-15-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i bet high fidelity would be Gords favorite movie if he liked music other than thelonius monk.
Old 02-15-02, 06:19 PM

I wonder how much of what he says is actually true to life and how much is embellished.
Old 02-15-02, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Trout
I wonder how much of what he says is actually true to life and how much is embellished.
which part? the stupidity of others or is whitty comebacks?

the stupidity is 100% true. work retail and support. I think i'll build my own website
Old 02-17-02, 11:05 AM

This is funny, but this guy is definitley on a ego trip.

Way to many exagerations and things that probally did not happen.
Old 02-17-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm up to the chapter of Villainy...here's my favorite quotes so far...

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I subscribe to the theory of intellectual osmosis. As such, I must now cease our conversation and move away from you before my intelligence begins to drop. Good day."

---

And the winner of the tournament won the controllers that were opened for the tournament (worth $80), and $20 in cash. Second place was a can of coke and an autographed picture of Gord. Third place was $20.

The Gord likes to remind people that second place is just the first loser.

---

"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.

---

"So, your answer is that you think I am retarded? I'm sorry. One of us has to go. Care to guess who?"

---

"What used PC games have you got?"
"A few. How fast is your machine?"

"It's a 386-25."

<blink blink>

"I'm afraid I don't have anything that will run on that machine."

"I can run anything on it."

"No, no you can't."

"You see, I'm really good at computers. I hacked the chip, and unlocked the secret instructions that actually made my machine as fast as a Pentium 133!"

"Oh really?"

"Yep. So I can play anything. I play Half Life all the time,"

"If you say so."

"But don't tell anyone. I don't want to get sued over cracking the chip."

"I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem."

---

"Which of these two games is better?"
"Is syphilis better than AIDS?"
Old 02-18-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just wanted to say thanks for that site - I'm almost done reading all the way through...this was a great quote though:
"Hey, I do impressions. Here's my impression of me hanging up on someone who drinks too much."
Old 02-18-02, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My favorite:
There eventually came a point when the store had a large stack of used N64s looking for homes. And the door was held open in the spring so that all could enjoy the warming air as we dared to venture outside of electronic entertainment shrines.
Anyway, the Nintendo 64 proves be a very effective doorstop when pushed into the frame.

As it was assumed, this was sacrilegious and offensive to some people, such as blind zealots and those who fought epic battles and lost many friends trying to get an N64 at launch.

So a speech bubble was added:

"This is all I am good for."

Well, technically that didn't actually solve any problems. The same people who were mad before were still mad, but everyone else laughed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.