Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Zen and the Art of Project Gotham Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-02, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Zen and the Art of Project Gotham Racing

Ahh... Project Gotham Racing.

Sometimes it makes me feel peaceful and relaxed.
Other times I want to smash it and throw it through the wall.

This was the first game I got for Xbox and I pretty much played it for like an hour and then said - "hey, let's go to the store and buy more Xbox games!" and I never really played it much after that. It's that game that sits waiting to be played. You know it's a good game, but you want to play Halo a second or third time or perhaps Tony Hawk 2x is far too compelling for you to switch to a racing game. Well, I recently ran out of steam on my other games - I either finished em or got kinda tired of them so I decided to play something else. I picked up Wreckless the day it hit shelves. I was really excited for it to come out too... it didn't take long though before I realized that Wreckless was a crappy game and so here I am with all this Xbox time all ready for a new car game and nothing to play... but wait... here's PGR! Woo hoo. I almost forgot about it.

Man this game is fun and frustrating at the same time. It's a damn hard game. I think I like it better than Gran Tourismo (which I also like). I don't know about this kudos thing and I wish I could unlock more cars instead of helmets and paintjobs... other than that, it's a solid game that will take me forever to finish. I think the physics are great and the graphics are awesome. Anyone notice the menu music is the same music for Dark Summit? Anyway - blah blah blah... I just wanted to see if anyone would care to share their experiences with PGR.
Old 02-12-02, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this game also. One thing I really like is the fact that you can play your own songs in the playlist. I put in a bunch of 'driving songs', and it's sweeeet!! The little city movie at the beginning of each 'race' is playing, your song is on the radio...it gets you going before you even start!!
Old 02-12-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved this game last year when it was called: Metropolis Streat Racer for the Dreamcast. I guess they changed it a lot for the X-box though. I must have spent over 100 hours on that game unlocking everything. It wasn't much of a challenge though.
Old 02-12-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice title trigger, very funny.
Old 02-12-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Man, after finally having a chance to play it via the OXM #4 demo disk, I'm definitely gonna get it at some point. I still can't get bronze on the one on one track they include on the disk. This is some tough stuff. The first 1/2 hour was incredibly frustrating, but now I can get bronze on a street race (3rd place), get the right time and amount of kudos in one race, and make the style race as well. Really tough. I've never played a racing game where you had to slide just to get points. I guess style is everything. They won't give you points just for making it clean through the turns (well a clean section will get you some but not much). The last real racing game I played was midtown Madness 2 and though it's a heckuvalot of fun, it's hardly realistic. This on the other hand is totally wild.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-12-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Man, after finally having a chance to play it via the OXM #4 demo disk, I'm definitely gonna get it at some point. I still can't get bronze on the one on one track they include on the disk. This is some tough stuff. The first 1/2 hour was incredibly frustrating, but now I can get bronze on a street race (3rd place), get the right time and amount of kudos in one race, and make the style race as well. Really tough. I've never played a racing game where you had to slide just to get points. I guess style is everything. They won't give you points just for making it clean through the turns (well a clean section will get you some but not much). The last real racing game I played was midtown Madness 2 and though it's a heckuvalot of fun, it's hardly realistic. This on the other hand is totally wild.

Tuan Jim
Actually - you get some points for sliding, but they'll give you huge points for hitting the lines just right. Turns give you more points than the straightaways, even if you slide. I think there are key spots that just give you huge points for taking the right cut. I think Kudos is kinda dopey as a concept, but I'm thinking that the purpose for it is to make you a better driver... by giving you more points when you take the corner just right, they're essentially training you in how to drive properly as opposed to in Gran Tourismo where they had that training thing. I like this better because it's all gameplay rather than training, but you're being trained as you go so you are constantly getting better. I kinda feel like a puppy who's being rewarded with a pat on the head for peeing on the paper rather than on the carpet.

Hey Steve - how do you get your songs in the playlist? I haven't been able to figure that out.
Old 02-12-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
AFAIK once you've ripped your songs, pause the game, go into audio options, and there should be an option above the radio station for your own tracks. Course I haven't tried it in the demo since I haven't ripped any songs before playing it, but there's an option right there.

Also, is the Kudos Challenge the meat of the game? Or are the other sections as deep? In which part is the main "racing" part of the game?

Also kinda funny that hitting other cars won't lose you your temp score, but hitting the rails will.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-12-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This game angers me!!!! I can't stop playing.....
Old 02-13-02, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JaxComet
This game angers me!!!! I can't stop playing.....
I know - right?

Someone who understands...