Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade: why not on the home systems?

Old 02-12-02, 09:12 AM

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade: why not on the home systems?

This past weekend, I was at a Chuck E. Cheese that had the Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game. This game is just a complete blast for Star Wars nuts like myself.

My question is: why is this game NOT available for any of the home consoles? Is there some sort of rights issue involved where Sega can't adapt this for the home systems?

I know that Rogue Leader for GC is probably the closest thing to this, but I'd still love to see this game come to the home systems. Just thought I'd see if anyone had some information on why we haven't seen this yet...
Old 02-12-02, 09:43 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
This came out right before Ep 1 hit theaters, and supposedly, Lucas wanted to heavily promote them on the systems and not this game. I've heard it won't be available on any of the systems, ever

Can only hope for a MAME port
Old 02-12-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
its a shame it will never see a system. I love this arcade game of it. really a big shame
Old 02-12-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But.........

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
its a shame it will never see a system. I love this arcade game of it. really a big shame
Unless we buy the arcade
Old 02-12-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is an arcade game that should stay an arcade game.
Old 02-12-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Aghama
None of them do. MAME eventually gets them all.
Old 02-12-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really hate to say it but even MAME won't be able to duplicate the thrill of Star Wars Trilogy like if you actually had the arcade game yourself.
Old 02-12-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by AgtFox
I really hate to say it but even MAME won't be able to duplicate the thrill of Star Wars Trilogy like if you actually had the arcade game yourself.
By the time it is done in MAME, I will probably get a new big screen TV and use the old one to build a MAME machine that is just like the Star Wars Trilogy. I'm sure I can get it to duplicate the thrill.
Old 02-12-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of which, how up to date is MAME now? I've been looking for some games like Captain America and the Avengers for it and can't find it...any help?
Old 02-12-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this the one?
http://www.mame.dk/gameinfo/captav19/
Old 02-12-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, thanks much...looks like it is new because I know I've looked on mame.dk before.
Old 02-12-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by AgtFox
Yep, thanks much...looks like it is new because I know I've looked on mame.dk before.
Just remember that to get it to run, you have to download the Asian version too. The US one is a clone of the Japenese one, so it only has the files to make it in English.

You will also need MAME v.58
Old 02-13-02, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Aghama

True you can't get the true feel of it unless you have the machine, But not all of us have that amount to spend on the machine (I would If I did ) But I did love this one the most. and am sad that it is not on any home systems. and sadly its slowly going away from most arcades I know of (either that or they just freak'n break down and never get fixed)
Old 02-13-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
(either that or they just freak'n break down and never get fixed)
Or like all of the ones I see, they have severe burn-in.
Old 02-13-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a machine is being phased out of the arcades, but at the same time has not really become a "classic", is usually the best time to try to find one at an arcade auction.

I went to my first AA last November and was amazed at the prices that some of these machines garner (pins going for $1500 CDN), and equally amazed at the bargains that are to be had (a full sit-down Sega Rally with 40" projection screen for $100 CDN).

Look up Amusment Machines in your yellow pages, do an online search, or just peek at the sticker on the back of the machines at your local laundromat (don't bother with big arcades) to find the local vendor. Call him up and see if he has any available.

It would be a good time now, because side art, overlays, marquees and control repairs would still be readily available.

Good hunting!