Reload this Page >

Dumb question about the GBA and GC...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-07-02, 09:28 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they comatable like nintendo said they would be? Like can you hook the GBA to the GC and play the GBA games on the tv? If so, does it require getting something special to hook it up with?

todd
Old 02-07-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know, you can't do that. The 2 are compatible in other ways though.
Old 02-07-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Dumb question about the GBA and GC...

Originally posted by Dragon Fly
Are they comatable like nintendo said they would be? Like can you hook the GBA to the GC and play the GBA games on the tv? If so, does it require getting something special to hook it up with?

todd
I have my doubts about this as well - and as far as i know i've never seen any articles or anything even indicating nintendo was going to have that feature. The connectivity issue is going to be more like the vmu was for the dreamcast (using the gba for play calling in football, inventory management, life meter, or just little mini games)
Old 02-07-02, 09:56 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Re: Re: Dumb question about the GBA and GC...

Originally posted by xmiyux

I have my doubts about this as well - and as far as i know i've never seen any articles or anything even indicating nintendo was going to have that feature. The connectivity issue is going to be more like the vmu was for the dreamcast (using the gba for play calling in football, inventory management, life meter, or just little mini games)
See... I think it was in EGM i read an article about hooking it up to the GC and everything. It showed a picture of it attached and all... thats really the only reason i would want a GBA, i can't stand playing handheld systems, but if i could play it on my tv there are tons of games i'd love to try :-\

todd
Old 02-07-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Dumb question about the GBA and GC...

Originally posted by xmiyux
as far as i know i've never seen any articles or anything even indicating nintendo was going to have that feature. The connectivity issue is going to be more like the vmu was for the dreamcast
There is already a cable to play the GBA games through the NGC like Dragon Fly is describing out in Japan but its chances of a stateside release are next to zilch.
Old 02-07-02, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Dumb question about the GBA and GC...

todd
I believe it is next week that the cable that links the Gamecube to the Game Boy Advance comes out. As of right now it is only compatible with Sonic Advance and Sonic for the Gamecube. It is only used to download information between the two games for the purpose of minigames on the GBA. Now in the future you are supposed to be able to use it for sports games to plan out plays on the GBA and possibly use the GBA as a controller. But I have heard nothing about using the link cable to play GBA games on the Gamecube.
Old 02-08-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Dumb question about the GBA and GC...

See... I think it was in EGM i read an article about hooking it up to the GC and everything. It showed a picture of it attached and all... thats really the only reason i would want a GBA, i can't stand playing handheld systems, but if i could play it on my tv there are tons of games i'd love to try :-\

todd
*nod* i've seen those pics but as far as i know they were for the aforementioned reasons (play calling etc). I know Animal Forest+ takes advantage of the connectivity as well (if you have a GBA hooked to the GC you get access to a special island in the game and you can also "bring the island with you" and have a virtual pet on the GBA). Also i know Sonic on the GC lets you raise your chaos (sp?) on the GBA as well. I also remember reading early on that the GBA would be able to act as an additional controller - albeit a pretty poor controller.
Old 02-08-02, 06:17 PM

As far as I know GC isn't set up to play GBA through it. A third party company will release a hook up that lets you put GBA on your TV, but you have to open up your GBA to do it (which voids your warranty ). I know the first game to come that uses the hook up is Sonic Battle, and Sonic Advanced; you can trade Chaos between the systems. I hope this helped!

Redsox5048.