Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone beta testing Warcraft 3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone beta testing Warcraft 3?

I'm getting the beta software later this month. I don't know what the normal process is in becoming a beta tester, but I became a tester because my cousin works at Blizzard.
Old 02-06-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please post your impressions when u get a chance to play it. I was not lucky enough to be chosen for the beta
Old 02-07-02, 12:14 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

namja, so do you know because you were told by cousin? or did you get the email? just curious, wondering if I still have a chance.
Old 02-07-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It usually takes a good week for them to send out all e-mails. I would expect to hear from them soon if you are chosen.
Old 02-07-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blizzard PR release

Blizzard made a PR release last night that the 5k testers had been chosen out of the 100k received. They should receive e-mails in the next few days and the discs within the week. Here is the release:

http://www.avault.com/news/displayne...y=272002-91137

I'd love to get my hands on this beta
Old 02-07-02, 01:03 PM

I hope I am selected, that game looks freakin cool
Old 02-07-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by jrobinson
namja, so do you know because you were told by cousin? or did you get the email? just curious, wondering if I still have a chance.
I wasn't one of the 5000 chosen by Blizzard per say. But I was one of the 10 chosen by my cousin to beta test. He's pretty high up in Blizzard so he has the authority to hand pick beta testers.
Old 02-07-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dangit, if I knew you better I could have gotten in on the action!
Old 02-07-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my e-mail last night.
Old 02-07-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I applied and I'm here hoping I don't get the Email I only applied since I apply at almost every beta I can but only mmorpgs interest me, hehe.
Old 02-07-02, 04:32 PM

Haven't received an email yet, but I've heard that people still might get emails through tomorrow.

Crossing my fingers.

Brian
Old 02-08-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The FedEx guy just dropped off my disc. I'll play it when I get home this afternoon.
Old 02-08-02, 10:22 AM

Didn't have an email this morning either, so it looks like I wasnt selected. I think I'm going to boycott Blizzard now

Brian
Old 02-08-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bdshort
Didn't have an email this morning either, so it looks like I wasnt selected. I think I'm going to boycott Blizzard now

Brian
Just start a petition demanding that Blizzard allow everyone who wants to to beta test their software.
Old 02-08-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been playing it. If anyone wants pics of anything in particular I can make some of like a specific unit or anything. If you got any questions, just ask, I could probably answer them the more I play it.

One thing I've realized that I kinda suck at this game. I've played three or four 2vs2 games and have been on the losing team everytime. I still haven't tried the undead race. Humans have been the most fun so far. The upkeep system is a real pain in the neck.
Old 02-08-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cornfed
I've been playing it. If anyone wants pics of anything in particular I can make some of like a specific unit or anything. If you got any questions, just ask, I could probably answer them the more I play it.

One thing I've realized that I kinda suck at this game. I've played three or four 2vs2 games and have been on the losing team everytime. I still haven't tried the undead race. Humans have been the most fun so far. The upkeep system is a real pain in the neck.
So how would you rate the game?
How're the graphics?
How long do the games last? Is it possible to rush?
Is the game unique enough to be considered innovative?
Old 02-09-02, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I didn't get in because my computer sucks.

Or it didn't meet the minimum requirements lol. Oh well, I have Xbox and PS2 and other stuff.... like pogs.
Old 02-09-02, 05:00 PM

Pogs fo life!

My friend used my name/address (to increase his chances) and he (I?) got in... should get it soon.
Old 02-09-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by timewaster

So how would you rate the game?
How're the graphics?
How long do the games last? Is it possible to rush?
Is the game unique enough to be considered innovative?
How would I rate this game? I don't know yet, so far it doesn't feel as balanced as Starcraft did - but then, I never played the beta of Starcraft. I think a lot should change.

The graphics are great, especially considering you can jack up the resolution. I've been playing at 1024x768. You can use the wheelmouse and scroll closer to the battleground, this makes for some incredibles views of battle - but doesn't help too much when you're trying to manage an army.

I'd say most games last at least a half hour. The rushing you saw in Starcraft won't really happen here. I remember times where the enemy would rush with Zerg drones and sometimes it worked. In War3, it's not just you and your enemy. There are NPC monsters all over the place. Before you can think about going after your enemy, you'll have to think about overcoming the forest trolls and gnolls first. And that will take more than a couple footmen. Try rushing with your peons.....all your peons just got killed by forest trolls.

Unique enough to be innovative? No, not really. I haven't played any RTS bysides those made by Blizzard and Westwood, I imagine there's gotta be some other ones out there very similar to this. It feels like a Warcraft game put into 3D, with 2 more races. Some of the innovations seem more like annoyances, like the upkeep system. Where if you have more than 30 characters, you will only bring in 70% of the gold you're mining.

But stay tuned, I'm sure things should be changing. As of right now, the max character limit is 90 units. And 15 are taken up by 3 heroes. Every combat takes up at least 2 units. Stuff like knights, catapults and chimaeras can take up to 4-5. It adds up quick.
Old 02-09-02, 08:09 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

oh I didn't get picked... how I envy you.