Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Let's talk Galaga

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk Galaga

To me, this game achieved arcade perfection. None of its sequels could improve upon it. What an amesome game.

Did anyone ever do the last bee trick to make it so the aliens don't fire for the rest of the game? Sure, it sucks waiting 15 minutes to get the trick to start but once it does, get ready for mucho points.
(For those that don't know the trick, in the first stage, you shoot everything but the bee of the far left side. Let him live and keep dodging him as he drops down. After 10-15 minutes, he will stop firing. Kill him then, and none of the aliens will shoot for the rest of the game.)

My high scores are 110,000 or so without the no shoot cheat and 235,000 with it.

Ever try to focus on one spot of the background? It's hard because your eyes want to follow the moving stars. I did this a lot as a kid, just for fun.
Old 02-05-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was the King of Galaga back in the 80's......I flipped the machine at 999,999 and it started back at zero again....cannot remember how high I made it after that except that the machine was starting to weird out on me while I was playing. Not sure if it was overheating or what....this was and still is a great game. Love the Namco Museum disc...I think I scored around 600,000 back when I was playing this on my playstation system.

Never heard of the bee trick....
Old 02-05-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I've done the bee trick. Pretty neat.

Galaga was probably the best Space Invaders-type came to come along, although I enjoyed Galaxian almost as much.
Old 02-05-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Galaga is the reason I got my GBA.
Old 02-05-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am always happy to talk about my favorite arcade game of all time!

What kills me is that even today you can walk into an arcade that has ALL of the latest and greatest flashy state-of-the-art games out...

...and there's ALWAYS some butthead already at the 20-year old Galaga machine - hogging it to himself. Never fails.

I love the Namco Museum version on the GBA, and I've enjoyed playing other home version over the last few years as well (PSX), but nothing beats being at the arcade: one hand going numb from hitting the fire button over 1,000 times, the other hand somehow pulling off a miracle move to avoid the 2 enemies coming in from above and the one swooping up from below, all the while avoiding the tractor beam that is cutting you off from half the screen because you have no extra lives left! Ahh, the perfect game.

Daryl
Old 02-05-02, 10:35 PM

I love Galaga... luckily for me there are 2 bars in my town that have it. Needless to say, those are the two I frequent the most often.
Old 02-06-02, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Galaga is the reason I got my GBA.
Same here! It's also the reason I bought a joystick controller for the PS1--so my playing Galaga on the Namco Museum disc was a little closer to the arcade experience.

It was my favorite game back in its heyday, and it's still my favorite today. It's strange because I never got into Space Invaders, Galaxians, or anything else that was similar, but there was something about Galaga that just did it for me. If there was only one video game I could take to a deserted island (assuming said island had electricity it would be Galaga.

I didn't know about the bee trick. I think I'll have to try it. I assume the emulated Galaga for the GBA would have it as well? As for high score, I want to say it's around 150,000. I think I was up around stage 24.
Old 02-06-02, 11:20 AM
M O V I E F A N

I have been wanting to get a copy of this game for PS1 or the old super nes. Anybody know where I can find a copy for either? Please take the time to e-mail me the answer at
[email protected]
Thanks in advance...
Old 03-21-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here is a bump for this great game. I own one of the actual upright arcade machines. I'm thinking of going to one of the arcade contests later this year to see if I can win or place. My high score on my own machine is 2,300,000. Yes, I rolled the score over twice, lol. That was to stage 246 of the 250.

I went to an arcade recently after an arena football game and posted a score close to 1,700,000 at stage 195. I hadn't played in a while and there was a bad glare on the monitor.

Anyway, just wanted to bump this since it is a great game!
Old 03-21-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by M O V I E F A N
I have been wanting to get a copy of this game for PS1 or the old super nes. Anybody know where I can find a copy for either? Please take the time to e-mail me the answer at
[email protected]
Thanks in advance...
Just wanted to point out that Namco Museum is also available for GBA, PS2, GCN, and XBox, which are more recent releases. The GBA one can be had for $9.99, and other versions were all put on clearance at Target.

PAL
Old 03-21-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GAAALAAAGAAA!!

I'm so in love with this game. Galaga rocks the house.

Is the GBA version even good, I heard from a friend that it sucked the balls, so I advoided it.

Galaga 88/90 is awesome as well.. bosses, multiple paths to take, scrolling levels, all while not straying from classic Galaga gameplay.

And don't get me started on the perfection that Galaga Arrangement is.. oh no..
Old 03-21-03, 12:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I never knew that trick!! But I don't have the patience anyway. Actually, I never played it that much as a kid but I do now whenever I see it. I can easily get 300k but start getting bored. I think I am better at it today than before.

Another similiar game that I may like as much was Gyruss.

As for Galaga, I may pick up the NAMCO museum when it is under $20 for the XBOX
Old 03-21-03, 05:02 PM

Mmmm....Galaga....

One of the greatest of all time. I would give my eye teeth for a cocktail table version of this game in working order for my home.
Old 03-21-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Came across a website yesterday which was selling cocktail versions of the new Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga machine for right around $2500.

Love to have one, but that's too rich for my blood.
Old 03-21-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suck at Galaga.

But I agree, there probably hasn't been a game as close to perfection before or since.

Jeremy
Old 06-05-03, 07:03 PM

I bump this thread once again.

I actually beat Galaga on my own machine not too long after my post in this thread. All the official settings too. Started with 3 ships, (1 playing & 2 reserve) difficulty of D for very hard, & extra ships at every 70,000.

Score was 2,500,000 (rounded) & finished on Stage 255. I actually had 2 or 3 extra ships still. After beating Stage 255 my machine reset and briefly said Stage 0. Now my machine is screwed up and I have to get it fixed, lol.

Hope I don't come across the wrong way. Just wanted to share this achievement with my fellow dvdtalkers. My best friend was present when I beat it.
Old 06-05-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to like Galaga, but I was always more of a Scramble guy.
Old 06-05-03, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by DVDjunkie78
Score was 2,500,000 (rounded) & finished on Stage 255. I actually had 2 or 3 extra ships still.
How many hours were you playing?
Old 06-05-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn some of you guys are incredible... I love the game, but I suck at it, highest stage I ever got, is maybe 5 or 7....
Old 06-05-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy crap. DVDjunkie, you are my new hero!!
Old 06-05-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I used to like Galaga, but I was always more of a Scramble guy.
I'll give a whoop whoop to Scramble. I also loved that game.
Old 06-05-03, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by D300
How many hours were you playing?
A little over 3 hrs I think. I actually just started playing to waste time until dinner was ready. However, I only lost 1 or 2 ships till I got to Stage 100, so I kept going. I called my friend on one of the challenge stages. The challenging stage previous to that I ran to get the phone so I could call him on the next one.

When I called his mom answered, but she got him right away. I was like dude...galaga....gonna beat....come over...door unlocked...bye.
Old 06-05-03, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Holy crap. DVDjunkie, you are my new hero!!
Thanks

I think I will be more proud of this than getting my College degree. I mean millions of people can get a degree, but only a small few can beat Galaga! hehe

I have really good hand-eye coordination & reflexes. I played baseball up until highschool & can dominate at ping pong.

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 06-05-03 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-06-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I was pretty good at Galaga reaching like stage 20.. haha.. I would go to that contest!! They record all kinds of records there..
Old 06-06-03, 09:08 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.