Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is GCN is getting the shaft??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Is GCN getting the shaft?
Yes
25.00%
No
43.75%
I don't know
6.25%
I don't care
25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X-Box gets Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, JSRF, PS2 gets Grandia GTA 3, while GCN gets Sonic and Skies of Arcadia. Is it just me or is GCN trying to kill itself. All we get is Sonic, which comes out about 1 game every 2 yrs.. Skies of Arcadia is nice, but what the hell is Sega pulling? Doesn't third party mean that it wants $$$? All that GCN gets are ports and all the sports games, like Home Run King (I can barely contain the joy ) At least Nintendo's Pres. is stepping down so maybe Nintendo can make up with Squaresoft, but still----------it looks like Nintendo HASN'T learned its' lesson; that it should go for 3rd party games. So what the hell are they pulling (both Sega and Nintendo?)
Old 01-30-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I didn't buy my cube for the third party games. The first party games, once they start rolling out, will make me and many others forget about Sega, Square, etc...

People who bought the cube knew that there was going to be a lack of third party titles, it would be nice to have them, but not necessary. Imagine if Nintendo did have all the third party support, plus its own first and second party games--what would happen then? The cube would probably be the dominant console . . . Competition and difference is necessary, I like it this way . . .

So no, the cube is not getting the shaft.
Old 01-30-02, 08:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You forgot that Sega also made Super Monkey Ball for the GCN, which is a superb game.
Old 01-30-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought I remember hearing that "the shaft" was a Dreamcast exclusive.
Old 01-30-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mtucker
I thought I remember hearing that "the shaft" was a Dreamcast exclusive.
Old 01-30-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there so many quality games out on gamecube that i find it disturbing that someone could even think that it is getting the shaft.

by the way, who cares about shenmue, that game is about as exciting as watching my front lawn grow.
Old 01-30-02, 09:50 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Re: Is GCN is getting the shaft??

Originally posted by Chaos
----------it looks like Nintendo HASN'T learned its' lesson; that it should go for 3rd party games. So what the hell are they pulling (both Sega and Nintendo?)
I disagree. Nintendo learned its lesson. They are going after tons of 3rd party games, just not the good ones. Look at release schedule over the next 2 months. The majority of the games are 3rd party mediocre PS2 ports.

As for Sega, I would have to agree Nintendo is getting the short end of the stick. It's probably because MS threw more money at Sega. Here is the complete list for both consoles, excluding the sports series everyone gets: NFL2K2, NBA2K2, WSB2K3, etc.

XBox:

Jet Set Radio Future
GunValkyrie
Crazy Taxi Next
House of the Dead 3
Sega GT 2002
Panzer Dragoon
Phantasy Star Online
Shenmue 2

Gamecube:

Home Run King
Phantasy Star Online
Skies of Arcadia
Soccer Slam
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Super Monkey Ball
Virtua Striker 3 ver.2002

Last edited by Flay; 01-30-02 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-30-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to ignore the shenmue comment and move on...
anyway true it seems that gamecube is getting the shaft. Sonic Team is on the gamecube and their other divisions are on xbox and ps2. I see it has strategic placement. They are placing the games that will get the most exposure on said system. GCN unf. does have the image of catering to a younger audience (yes we don't agree with it but thats the way it is.) so such games as sonic and pals will get more attentation on said system. Xbox is geared at adults and gaming enthusiests (spelling?) so they will get games that are more catered to that market (shenmue II panzer) its all about maximizing your profit for the least amount of money invested.
also their might be some incentive for sega, from MS of course, and the other systems. those true sega hardcore fans will have to buy all 3 systems to play all their favorite sega games. sega might get a kickback out of it who knows.. my 2.2 cents
your sega nut sista
Old 01-30-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don;t think so. Like what was said earlier, I bought the cube for Zelda, Star Fox, and Mario. I'd be happy with those three games only. But along the way I luckily picked up others which are fun, andsome new games coming out may make their way into my collection too. But I boaught the system for 1st party games.
Old 01-30-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Team Sonic is the cream of the Sega crop. They always innovate. Did anybody see Super Monkey Ball coming? Tell me Samba didnt rock! Ooga Booga? Team Sonic is almost a lock to bring something new to the table.
Old 01-30-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sistasoulja
I'm going to ignore the shenmue comment and move on...
i'm sorry, i know people like that game... but you have to admit...

he spent an awful long time asking people... "do you know where sailors hang out? "

i have to wonder what he was really after.
Old 01-30-02, 10:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

XBox needs Sega to develop good software for them, Nintendo doesn't.
Old 01-30-02, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
XBox needs Sega to develop good software for them, Nintendo doesn't.
That is an excellent point that I didnt think of! True nintendo wants 3rd party support to make more money, not for games. Nintendo has always devolped great games. But alas in the world of games 3rd party support is needed to make money so you can continue making great games
Old 01-30-02, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by huh?

i'm sorry, i know people like that game... but you have to admit...

he spent an awful long time asking people... "do you know where sailors hang out? "

i have to wonder what he was really after.
ah, that's only if you had sucked at the game (no offensive to anyone) I think I only ask 3 people "do you know where sailors hang out?" and I got an answer and I was done...
ok done hijacking
Old 01-30-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sistasoulja

ah, that's only if you had sucked at the game (no offensive to anyone) I think I only ask 3 people "do you know where sailors hang out?" and I got an answer and I was done...
ok done hijacking
I never played that game, but in my opinion, even asking ONE person that question is too much
Old 01-30-02, 11:10 AM
Retired

I really don't care as I'm not a huge fan of Sega's first party games. Super Monkey Ball is great, and is only on the GC, the Home Run King Game looks interesting. Sonic is a great franchise to have, though I don't care for the sonic adventure series. Maybe they'll go back to the action roots for the next game. SA2 would be great if all the levels were like the Sonic/Shadow stages, and the camera didn't suck so bad. At any rate, it looks like the GC will get sega's "weird" titles, which is fine by me. I hated Shenume and Jet Grind Radio, so I have no interest in the sequels. I don't really care about RPG's, so I don't care about Grandia. (BTW the PS2 port of Grandia 2 is so full of graphical glitches that it's unplayable according to EGM). If GC games want an RPG port they have Skies of Arcadia, which most people thought was better than Grandia 2 anyway.

So basically, I don't think any of the systems are getting the shaft from Sega. They are just spreading their genre's out on the systems they think they will do best on. It's obvious that Nintendo will get the games more geared toward a younger audience, and the X-box and PS2 will get the games more geared toward the older crowd. You just have to take this into account when deciding which system to purchase.
Old 01-30-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Liver&Onions

I never played that game, but in my opinion, even asking ONE person that question is too much
<hijack>
thats what i was hinting at

seriously, i played it for about 2 hours, and i found out i was spending most of my time in the arcade or looking for sailors, if it had sucked me in i would have stayed with it. but it lost me at... "do you know where sailors hang out? " i thought i was looking for the vilalge people or something.

</hijack>

OK, back on topic. GCN is getting the sports games, the sonic games, and new originals like Super Monkey Ball. Not a shaft if you like those types of games.
Old 01-30-02, 02:01 PM

For those who own/owned a Dreamcast, I can see how you'd think Sega is giving GC "the shaft," since a number of their first batch of GC games are ports of Dreamcast games. But as a non-Dreamcast owner, I am looking forward to games such as Sonic Adventure 2 and Skies of Arcadia, as well as their sports games. There are almost as many Sega games that I want as there are Nintendo games, so I for one am happy with Sega's support. But having said that, I am still hoping GC gets some more "new" games other than the sports ones.
Old 01-30-02, 02:31 PM

My point is that X-box is getting so many of the best names----and guess what?---------------THEY'RE NOT PORTS!! I have a DC, so all that I'm getting is just junk Sega decided to give away, while the PS2 and X-bos get all the sequels, GCN gets ports and other system junk. Crazy Taxi for example----------$5.00 on DC, $50.00 on GCN. Nintendo has said that they're trying to court 3rd party developers and get mature games, so why is it that all they get are ports, sports games, and so few decent titles (the few that we get are kiddy anyway--------no good matuer ones yet)??? True, Nintendo does have killer 1st party titles, but isn't it in the best interest of a business to make money? And doesn't that mean having things what your competitor has and then some? Isn't it in the goal of a company to dominate, or at least compete with other business's for customers??
Old 01-30-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmmm Zelda or Shenmue (yawn), Metroid or Panzer... who's getting the shaft?
Old 01-30-02, 03:23 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
hmmm Zelda or Shenmue (yawn), Metroid or Panzer... who's getting the shaft?
Silly comparison. You are comparing 1st/2nd party titles for Nintendo against 3rd party titles for the XBox. The discussion here is Sega XBox vs. Sega Gamecube.

If you want to compare Nintendo's killer 1st/2nd party titles, use a couple of Microsoft's killer 1st/2nd party titles in the works. Such as:

Zelda vs. Project Ego and Metroid vs. Brute Force.

Last edited by Flay; 01-30-02 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-30-02, 05:23 PM

I think Sega is also putting its more unique original games on the GC, like Super Monkey Ball for example. That game came out of nowhere and was an instant hit and a top grade game. On the X-Box you'll notice that every single game on that list coming out is not original but a sequel to an existing game. Not that its a bad thing though but I think its the name recognition that makes it look like the GC is getting the shaft.

What it seems is that a lot of the newer original games aren't well known or we don't know much about them are coming out for the GC, thats why it looks like the GC is getting the shaft. Personally I like the original, different, weird, type of games. It shows that they are willing to try out new ideas and not just fall back on old games, and most of the time they come up with something really cool, thats what makes sega great. Soccer Slam looks pretty cool with the arcade like action but we don't know much about it. So I don't think the GC is getting the shaft that badly. The first party titles are what I bought it for. 3rd party games from Sega are a bonus.

Who's getting the shaft in terms of:

Well, its a matter of opinion but to me its a no brainer .
Old 01-30-02, 05:31 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Outlaw
IWho's getting the shaft in terms of:

Well, its a matter of opinion but to me its a no brainer .
You're right Outlaw. It is a no brainier. Neither the XBox or the Gamecube is getting the shaft in terms of the quality of these games.
Old 01-30-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chaos
My point is that X-box is getting so many of the best names----and guess what?---------------THEY'RE NOT PORTS!! I have a DC, so all that I'm getting is just junk Sega decided to give away, while the PS2 and X-bos get all the sequels, GCN gets ports and other system junk.
Sega put the best group on the Cube titles. Just because theyre not sequels doesnt mean youre not going to be blown away. Sonic Team will make a Chuchu Rocket or a Samba De Amigo when the Box will get sequels to games weve all played already.

Im looking forward to what they do when theyre not rushed to meet a launch date like with SMB.
Old 01-30-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe we'll get some of those rad party games like Samba for the GC - that would be pretty cool. Actually, i'd even be happy with a port of Dance Dance Revolution if i can get a pad as well

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.