Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 DD/DTS problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2 DD/DTS problem

Hi,
I've got my PS2 connected to my Onkyo 494 reciever using the optical out. I'm using an optical-coax converter and have the coax plugged into the reciever.The problem I'm having is that I can get sound(two channel sound works fine) but it never goes into DD 5.1 or DTS on games or DVD movies. I may try using a different coax cable as I think this may be the problem. Any other ideas? Could the optical-coax converter be at fault? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 01-27-02, 01:49 AM

Most PS2 games don't support DD or DTS during gameplay.

Apparently one of the EA sports titles being the exception, but you should get it in some cutscenes and on your DVD movies.

Not sure what to tell you.

-Naan
Old 01-27-02, 02:16 AM

I know it sounds ridiculously obvious and you've probably already checked, but make sure the digital out is turned on. I had to go into a menu buried within the settings to find the option to turn it on or off. Other than that, I can't think of any other suggestions.
Old 01-27-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea the digital output is one because the optical connection is the only audio connection I am using. I think today I'll try some different cables and perhaps bypassing the optical to coax converter. I know not all games do 5.1 DD or DTS but I tried NHL 2002(which does DTS) and I also tried a few movies and it was only coming through in stereo. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Old 01-27-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok so I did some tests. I tried several things. Even using a straight optical to optical connection on my Onkyo reciever, it would only play through in Stereo and not 5.1(I used a DVD with a 5.1 soundtrack as a test). The optical output is on, as I am hearing sound. My reciever just reads the signal as Digital PCM and not Dolby Digital. I know it's not the reciever as I tried assigning the PS2 to various inputs and the problem persisted and my standalone DVD player works fine in 5.1 with it. Does anyone have any ideas? Other than this, my PS2 works fine. Thanks for any ideas!
Old 01-27-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Problem Solved

I solved the problem. I realized that in DVD video mode, you have to hit select and go to the setup menu and turn on DD and DTS. In games, you have to select DD or DTS audio. Thanks for all the help.