Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Video Game Rentals.....What A Ripoff!!!!!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-02, 06:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Blockbuster today, looking to rent a few Gamecube games. For now on i will rent games that are "sight unseen", nothing is worse than buying a game you haven't played, and then not liking it. So i go and pick up Super Smash Bros. Melee & Super Monkey Ball. I go to the counter to pay...........$12.70 for the two games for a two day rental!!!! Maybe i sound cheap, this is the first time i have rented a game in a few years as i am just getting back into the whole video game thing. But that just seems like a lot of $$$.
Old 01-17-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blockbuster is expensive for everything. Avoid, avoid
Old 01-17-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you live? I just went to BallBusters and rented Half Life and RE Code Veronica for PS2 11.31 for five days. Perhapes it different for other systems but that doesn't make sense unless your talking old NES games or something.
Old 01-17-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess it varies at every location.
The one near me charges $5.99 for 5 days. Still kind of high, but better than paying that much for only 2 days.

Is that Blockbuster a franchise store?

I suggest you try and find another video store around your neighborhood that rents video games.
Old 01-17-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe they do the same thing as movies they have to be out a certain amount of time before they become 5 day rentals, but the price is still bad.
Old 01-17-02, 07:26 PM
Retired

You can always buy the games at EB, Gamestop or any of the stores that give you a few days to return games that you don't like.
Old 01-17-02, 07:54 PM

i rented 2 Xbox games not too long ago for 13 bucks for 5 days.
Old 01-17-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The one near me is $4.25 for 5 days. YMMV I guess.

And, joshhinkle..... don't they not allow you to return if the game is opened? just wondering.
Old 01-17-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I rent from Hollywood Video because they mail me coupons for $.99 rentals. I can get 3 games or movies for $.99 each and keep them for 5 days. If you live near one, check it out.
Old 01-17-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Only 2 days? Around my place, Blockbuster and Hollywood Video charge about $5 for 5 days. I thought they did this nationwide.
Old 01-17-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No your not a cheapskate, those prices are really inflated. I remember when it used to be $3.00 for PSX games or N64 for 3 days, until they started this 5 day crap. I only need 3 days or less to find out if I like a game enough to buy it, not 5 days. I stopped going to BB when they rented games out for $5/5days, I don't like spending that much for rentals. I noticed my local Hollywood video's also charge $6.00 for one 5 day game rental.

Luckily, I only rent at a local independant video game rental store (its called Video Hits Plus and I think its only in my town). They actually have 2 stores, but the prices are right on. $3.00 for a 3 day game rental. For GC and X-Box its only $3.25. I always rent from there the service is good and they sell tons of candy/snacks too. Try checking for a local independant rental store in your area. Their prices may be better. But I realize this might not be the case in some areas.

[Edited a there into their...can't believe I messed up my there/their]

Last edited by Outlaw; 01-17-02 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-17-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

blockbuster near me rents for 5 days at a time. i've never seen a 2 day rental.

sounds fishy.
Old 01-17-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
All game rentals regardless of how new the game is are 5 days at my local corporate-owned Blockbuster. $5 a piece
Old 01-18-02, 04:44 AM

Why not get the Blockbuster Video Game Pass for $24.99? You'll get to rent 30 games. The bad thing is you only have a day to play each game. And you have to get a game each day for the next 30 days.

But honestly, who has that much time on their hands anyways?
Old 01-18-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Toofpaste
Why not get the Blockbuster Video Game Pass for $24.99? You'll get to rent 30 games. The bad thing is you only have a day to play each game. And you have to get a game each day for the next 30 days.

But honestly, who has that much time on their hands anyways?
it seems like it 6 of one / half dozen of the other. you either need more than one day (with the rental pass) or less than 5 (regular) to see if you want to buy a game.

maybe they could offer you a choice, and it would be a dollar a day.....
Old 01-18-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It sounds high, but that is still cheaper that $50 for a game that you don't like at all.
Old 01-18-02, 01:02 PM

The franchise BB here is $5 for 5 days for every game they have.
Old 01-18-02, 07:11 PM
Retired

Originally posted by WildcatLH

And, joshhinkle..... don't they not allow you to return if the game is opened? just wondering.
Nope. Gamestop give you three days to return games for any reason. I took NBA2k1 back because I didn't like the AI, and exchanged it for another game. All I had to do was fill out a little form saying why I didn't like the game. EB has a similar policy, but I believe the time frame is a week. I haven't done it, but someone exchanged one PSX basketball game for another one when I was in their a couple weeks ago and had no problem.
Old 01-19-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hold up...

1) Welcome to DVD Talk

2) Your Post...

Originally posted by video gamer

I went to Blockbuster today, looking to rent a few Gamecube games. For now on i will rent games that are "sight unseen", nothing is worse than buying a game you haven't played, and then not liking it. So i go and pick up Super Smash Bros. Melee & Super Monkey Ball. I go to the counter to pay...........$12.70 for the two games for a two day rental!!!! Maybe i sound cheap, this is the first time i have rented a game in a few years as i am just getting back into the whole video game thing. But that just seems like a lot of $$$
I dont know what store you rent at but theres a board in the front of the store that lists the prices. So before you go crying about being ripped off do some research or ask before you pay. Secondly they (the CSR who rented out to you) should have given you the in-store coupon going on this weekend, and you would have only paid 9.99 (10.81) after tax. I as a gamer don't like paying a lot for a rental, but if it cant be avoided then forget about it.

3) Dont go back to this Blockbuster complaining about the coupon because like I said I dont even know where your renting from. If I were you I'd invest in the game pass. And besides I think I speak for every video store clerk when I say.."We dont care how much you complain."

4) I'd like to know where your renting 2 day game rentals? That doesnt sound accurate. Double check your reciept you may be wrong.

5) Stick to N64 and PSOne titles if you do not like paying over 6 dollars for a Gamecube game. Or get a job with BBV and get 5 free rentals a week.

6) Yes every location is different for price ranges. Some places even charge you the full $7.00 but we wont get into that.

I work the company yes, but do I love it? No. But it buys my games, comics, and DVDs so I'm not about to spit into the wind. But remember I too was in front of the counter before I was ever behind it.

I hope you enjoy posting on this forum, it's a lot of fun. Play hard, and score high.

Love and Peace!

zero
Old 01-19-02, 09:00 PM

zero, that was spoken like a true BlockBuster stockholder. Guess what? BLOCKBUSTER IS A RIPOFF! Spare us the high-handedness my brother. My local movie/game rental store is in direct competition to BlockBuster and blows their game stock out of the water for guess how much.....$0.99 a night!.....and business is booming for him - it has been for years!!! On top of all that, we live in Atlanta,GA and the competition can't touch him. Yep, BB is a major ripoff - especially if you live in a small town.
Old 01-19-02, 10:13 PM

Blockbuster is more expensive than other rental places I've been to ($6 for 5 days here). But the worst thing is that they don't even give you the instruction manuals for the games. The back of the case has a game description and some "tips" printed on it, but for some games, you really need the manual. I only go to Blockbuster as a last resort now, if no better rental places have the game I'm looking for.
Old 01-20-02, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by ME

I work the company yes, but do I love it? No. But it buys my games, comics, and DVDs so I'm not about to spit into the wind. But remember I too was in front of the counter before I was ever behind it.
and as far as owning stock goes I dont have that option as a lowly CSR. I could care less where you rent from, and If Blockbuster went under tomorrow I'd probably be a lot happier. I dont live in a small town so in my eyes things are ok. I'm sorry if you have to pay outragous prices for a game you'll probably beat in a week.

Originally posted by you

Yep, BB is a major ripoff - especially if you live in a small town.
Like I told our friend video gamer. Do some homework before you go and just rent something. I'm not defending BB at all, but I'm not about to start a thread over it just because you get a better deal at another store, just dont come into mine telling me you do, because I DONT CARE.

laters
-zero

P.S
...I still dont care.