Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ideal Star Wars Game?

Old 01-17-02, 03:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideal Star Wars Game?

What would your ideal Star Wars game be? I guess mine would be something like using actual footage from the movie for cutscenes, mix in a 3rd person engine for running around and doing stuff like they do during the movies, add in a little Rogue Leader like gameplay for flying around on Tatooine. Then add in some X-Wing gameplay for doing big flying missions. A 3D fighting engine would be great for light saber battles as well.

A game from the Empire's POV would be cool too (like Tie Fighter) using the same elements above (maybe less movie footage since the movie is told from the Alliance POV) and add stuff like actually being Darth Vader and being able to take out Luke.

The games are best when they actually use stuff from the movie. But stuff built around the books and the Star Wars universe in general is great too.
Old 01-17-02, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My perfect star wars game was Star Wars Trilogy

arcade game made by sega. it was perfect for me.
Old 01-17-02, 07:27 AM

Out of all the Star Wars games that came out I still enjoy the Super Star Wars games for SNES. They had all the major battles via Contra style gameplay and added shooter stages for the vehicle battles. If they updated those games and brought them into the 3D realm they'd be breat. Provided Lucas Arts takes the time to do it right.
Old 01-17-02, 11:15 AM
Retired

It would be Rogue Leader, with third person levels where you controlled Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia etc. during action that happens between the flight battles. Ideally these levels would be as good, and as fun, as the SNES Super Star Wars series, just in 3D.
Old 01-17-02, 11:51 AM

Star Wars Galaxies...
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/
I always wanted to be a Jedi, now I can... well, soon enough...
Old 01-17-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by C-Killer Redux
Out of all the Star Wars games that came out I still enjoy the Super Star Wars games for SNES. They had all the major battles via Contra style gameplay and added shooter stages for the vehicle battles. If they updated those games and brought them into the 3D realm they'd be breat. Provided Lucas Arts takes the time to do it right.
Hell yeah! Those three on the SNES kicked ass!
Old 01-17-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
The perfect game would be one that combined the best parts of the original X-Wing and the original Tie-Fighter all together. A game with branching storylines, better graphics, but the same top-notch storyline and gameplay.

But heck, I'd settle for Jedi Knight 2 -- the sequel to one of the best FPS/RPG games ever -- could be even better.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-17-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked Star wars Arcade for 32x it was fun. The supernes games were great too.
Old 01-17-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Remake TIE Fighter.
Old 01-18-02, 12:32 AM

perfect...

... game IMHO would have the following qualities:

1. Have a 3-D first person fighting scenario w/ light saber type weapons. Have it be realistic, ala the first Bushido Blade fighting game for the PS1. No dumb life bars. You get hit, you get hurt. Realistic attacks, damage, use of movement and distance for defensive purposes, etc... If done right (there's the trick), this could possibly be the coolest, most realistic, best fighter ever. Also could add the use of force powers ala Obi-Wan for the XBox.
Multiplayer modes ala Quake Arena could be rather cool.

2. I've only seen the Gamecube Rogue Leader in demo kiosks. From what I have seen, this would be an awesome part of the game.

3. Have a RPG-type of character system. Build your character and then through experience points earned, have him/her advance in skills, etc.

I could envision an open-ended role-playing game as the base. You could have missions that you need to complete to earn cash/survive/complete initial storyline. Space battles/campaign space missions could be handled via primarily an X-Wing style of gameplay. For certain missions (or player choice) you can have the Rogue Leader style be prevalent.

For non-space based missions/scenarios you could either run it from a 3-D third person or 3-D FPS style viewpoint. The non-space based missions would/could then use the above mentioned battle/fighting engine. Co-Op split screen modes would be awesome, but could be kind of tricky to handle in the "open-ended" RPG style.
Old 01-18-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: perfect...

Originally posted by elengineer
... game IMHO would have the following qualities:

1. Have a 3-D first person fighting scenario w/ light saber type weapons. Have it be realistic, ala the first Bushido Blade fighting game for the PS1. No dumb life bars. You get hit, you get hurt. Realistic attacks, damage, use of movement and distance for defensive purposes, etc... If done right (there's the trick), this could possibly be the coolest, most realistic, best fighter ever. Also could add the use of force powers ala Obi-Wan for the XBox.
Multiplayer modes ala Quake Arena could be rather cool.

2. I've only seen the Gamecube Rogue Leader in demo kiosks. From what I have seen, this would be an awesome part of the game.

3. Have a RPG-type of character system. Build your character and then through experience points earned, have him/her advance in skills, etc.

I could envision an open-ended role-playing game as the base. You could have missions that you need to complete to earn cash/survive/complete initial storyline. Space battles/campaign space missions could be handled via primarily an X-Wing style of gameplay. For certain missions (or player choice) you can have the Rogue Leader style be prevalent.

For non-space based missions/scenarios you could either run it from a 3-D third person or 3-D FPS style viewpoint. The non-space based missions would/could then use the above mentioned battle/fighting engine. Co-Op split screen modes would be awesome, but could be kind of tricky to handle in the "open-ended" RPG style.
The original Jedi Knight on PC had both 1 and 3 (albeit 3 wasn't developed to a large degree). Hopefully the upcoming JK2 will add a lot more.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-19-02, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm, some of you must be console folk, as a lot of the wishes have been done on the PC games years ago

Jedi Knight was the best game ever when it came out... now it's aged.. but it's still fun.
Old 01-19-02, 08:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

I loved X-Wing & Tie Fighter (PC), and what I've played so far of X-Wing: Alliance (PC) has also been great. They give the pilot a LOT more freedom than you had in Star Wars Arcade, which I felt was basically a glorified rail-shooter. (Of course, I still pumped a lot of quarters into it.)

I haven't played Jedi Knight (PC) yet, but it looks like it will possibly be included in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (PC)... check out the title of the Amazon.com pre-order page for JK2, which comes out February 1, 2002! Woo hoo!

X-Wing good!

Last edited by Static Cling; 01-19-02 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-19-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshhinkle
It would be Rogue Leader, with third person levels where you controlled Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia etc. during action that happens between the flight battles. Ideally these levels would be as good, and as fun, as the SNES Super Star Wars series, just in 3D.
I think you nailed it on the head.
Old 01-19-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by C-Killer Redux
I'd like to see those three ported over to the Game Boy Advance (hopefully minus much of the slowdown), with new games also made for the prequels.

I think a Star Wars RPG might also be interesting.
Old 01-19-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tor_greg
Remake TIE Fighter.
Yea Tie was the best Star Wars game I have ever played. The rest were too much like being the movie.
Old 01-19-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling

I haven't played Jedi Knight (PC) yet, but it looks like it will possibly be included in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (PC)... check out the title of the Amazon.com pre-order page for JK2, which comes out February 1, 2002! Woo hoo!

X-Wing good!
I'd be surprised to see it out that soon given that there's been virtually no press about it, other than a few very vague previews -- unless I've been missing everything. -- no demo either. I hate it when games come out before the demo.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-20-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that sounds a fair bit too soon as well... hmmm, according to PC Gamer, march 5th is the offical date, but they guess later (and so do I)
Old 01-22-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is a link for a little info on Jedi Knight 2 http://www.computerandvideogames.com...y.php?id=24212

thought you guys would like it.
Old 01-23-02, 10:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
Here is a link for a little info on Jedi Knight 2 http://www.computerandvideogames.com...y.php?id=24212

thought you guys would like it.
The article says March 2002 as well. Shucks. Well, I guess I'll have to stick with MOHAA 'til then! I'm also interested in Soldier of Fortune 2, which should come out in February.

Fire bad!
Old 01-23-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 827 Likes on 531 Posts
I always wanted them to do a mix of capital ship battles and X-Wing/Tie Figher stuff. You would command the fleet, and battle other capital ships but have the option to hop in a fighter and help out the pilots as well.

Rebellion was the right idea, just poorly done. Maybe even take it to the next level, and allow you to use snowspeeders, AT-ATs, AT-STs, speeders, whatever along with space battles.
Old 01-26-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/january02/jk2/
Old 01-26-02, 12:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

Did anyone ever play X-Wing Versus Tie Fighter? I think it was Online only. It sounded cool, but never took off I think. What was the deal with that.
Old 01-26-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It wasn't online only, but it was the first one that you could actually play multiplayer. I hooked up with a friend's computer via null modem cable and it wasn't too bad, but I never had a chance to actually get online. The story mode wasn't nearly as good as xwing or tie fighter though.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-29-02, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did XvT have a story mode? I seem to recall all you could do was select missions, play them online with friends or with the computer.

It was pretty fun, enjoyable to fly around and attack a Star Destroyer while you're a Y-Wing and your buddy is an X-Wing... co-ordinating strikes on the turrets and such.

But I did miss the neat story like Tie Fighter had.