Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Engaging Editorial about Nintendo and the Gamecube.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-02, 10:55 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This came from IGN Cube.

Entry: 01/15/01 by Matt Casamassina

I was chatting with one of my better friends in the gaming industry last night -- a fairly connected bloke -- and he hit me with what could be the ultimate indication of Nintendo's ill-prepared next-generation strategy, "Matt, you're not going to believe this one, buddy," he said over dinner. "I've got some retail pals who have relayed some information my way, and according to them Nintendo is only going to ship 50,000 units of GameCube to the US per month through March 2002." Now this guy's information is usually spot on so I've got no reason to doubt him, and already I've got an unwelcome sinking sensation somewhere in my stomach. 50,000 units per month? 150,000 measly pieces of hardware across three months? Perhaps this is must be done to allocate more systems for Japan and the European launch, but even still, GameCube sold through eight times that in its first several weeks of release and Nintendo's follow-up strategy is to starve would-be audiences into buying the competition's machine? I don't like it, and yet somehow I'm not surprised.

This is, after all, the true Nintendo Difference, a strategy so convoluted, without structure and seemingly lacking logic that one wonders how in the hell it works at all. And yes, indeed -- it works, there is no doubt about it. The billions of dollars that push the boundaries of Nintendo's bank accounts are proof enough of that. But at the same time, when a relative unknown to the videogame industry like Microsoft can waltz in with Xbox, a machine $100 more expensive, and outsell a Nintendo-branded console -- it's fairly amazing that Nintendo can still pat itself on the back. Kind of like 7-11 opening a chain of hamburger outlets that make more money than McDonald's, huh? The Big 'N' proudly touted the initial sales numbers of GameCube and then went suspiciously silent through December as, for the most part, hardware and software sales of Xbox toppled Nintendo's console according to TRSTs data. Microsoft also managed better software to hardware ratios with its machine. Nice job, guys.

But thankfully 2002 is the year that Nintendo strikes back. The company has already put its best foot forward and unofficially delayed the two biggest and arguably only triple-A products of the first-quarter. Both Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet and Eternal Darkness have slipped until at least April, leaving GameCube owners with a healthy selection of PS2 ports to gnaw on for the first three months of the year. Exactly three games are exclusive to Nintendo's system through March. Three games! NBA Courtside, which is out, Bloody Roar, and Virtua Striker. Everything else comes to GameCube by way of Sony's console or at exactly the same time as it releases for another platform. If that weren't enough, we have Konami to the rescue with system-selling software like the world renowned ESPN International Winter Sports 2002 -- a fine substitute for Metal Gear Solid 2 if there ever was one. Truly, January, February and March shall be the golden times.

It's frightening, really, for if there is one thing that's true about Nintendo's console it's that people are primarily drawn to it for Nintendo exclusive games. The company's general manager Satoru Iwata has on several occasions stressed the importance of original first-party software. And yet, in 2002 -- the year that the Big 'N' must appeal beyond the early adopter to the mass market, it has begun by relying almost entirely on third-party ports to sell the system. I don't get it.

Sales in Japan, US

But not all is bad at least. Super Smash Bros. Melee went over amazingly in Japan and has already sold more than a million pieces (and thereby hardware units too) in the homeland. That's particularly good news considering that initial sales of GameCube in the Land of the Rising Sun were less than desirable and I had for a while really feared a repeat of the N64 days. Even better, Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion continue to sell well, Pikmin over the 400,000 mark and Luigi right below it. Equally solid sales of Animal Forest, Sega's Sonic offering (port) and Super Monkey Ball bring a smile to my face for sure. Throw the March 22 release of Resident Evil into the mix and it looks like Nintendo's console may just do very, very well in Japan -- a relief.

On a semi-related note, I find it rather discouraging that sales of Super Smash Bros. Melee are so far better and more continued in Japan than they have been here in the US. I believe the title has been selling approximately 20,000 units in America per week for the last couple of weeks, which is somewhat poor given that it's supposed to be the flagship piece of software for GameCube. Halo, Max Payne, Agent Under Fire, Final Fantasy and GTA3 all had much better sales during the week after Christmas, according again to TRSTs data. Must be that adult demographic that Nintendo fails to recognize. My same friend -- the one who sparked this whole cynical editorial -- also noted that Nintendo has been unable to ship adequate supplies of SSB Melee to retailers though, which would quite easily explain the unimpressive returns. I guess that's not really a priority at this point. I mean, GameCube owners don't really need to be able to find the software for it to sell. That's just crazy!

The loyalists are going to jump on me now, no doubt. They will say that Nintendo knows what it's doing, or that I'm forgetting all about the Game Boy Advance, which is selling like hotcakes. But I haven't. I realize Nintendo has a stranglehold on the handheld market, but that's not the issue here. This is about home consoles. And those quick to come to Nintendo's defense would be wise to remember that the company once dominated the home console arena too -- and look what happened.

I too want to believe that Nintendo knows best -- that, like some higher being, it is capable of understanding the industry on a level that mere mortals cannot grasp. Perhaps this is the truth. Like I said, the company is an absolute success, easily generating more profit on a yearly basis than God -- or at least a demi-god. But the delays hurt, the stronger sales of Xbox sting bad and when coupled with virtually nothing particularly interesting in Q1, I can't help but have my doubts. And so I find myself browsing our previews list more often. I sometimes check out the videos of Zelda and Mario and try to remember why these guys are so totally untouchable when it comes to this stuff. Cute, cuddly Link or not, I want it -- you want it, and if you don't, you will. That, too, is the Nintendo Difference.

The Right Attitude

Lately though, I've really found myself turning to one GameCube title in particular as the immediate savior. Interestingly, it's not a first-party effort, but a second-party one in Metroid Prime. Of course, there has been a lot of controversy surrounding this game and its developer Retro Studios, some of which IGNcube helped generate. The lay-offs, the killed projects -- blah blah and yes yes. More recent reports suggest that the game is finally starting to take shape and quite frankly I believe them. The latest batch of screenshots to hit the magazines and Internet show off the game's new and improved "through the visor" interface which I fancy a whole lot and I'm very intrigued not only by the game's attempts to juggle first- and third-person views, but by the whole recreation of the franchise in general. Once upon a time Mario was Nintendo's biggest seller. Then, hyped to the ends of the universe and back, Zelda became the company's flagship offering. I think the time is right for Metroid to blow up in the US and I think Retro's take on the franchise is what's going to do it.

If nothing else, Metroid has the right attitude -- dark and atmospheric to boot. It contradicts Nintendo's style admirably, which is something else I find refreshing. Eternal Darkness also does this, and I'm excited by its potential too. Nintendo is of course quick to point out that it's primary target is still the younger audience, but that at the same time it hasn't forgotten about older gamers. I wonder though. I can literally count the number of GameCube titles with my fingers that appeal primarily to adult players. Heck, that number drops more than half if I consider only the first- and second-party "mature" selections. Does that make these offerings a valid Nintendo consideration or an afterthought? I really, truly hope that come E3 the company will surprise me in this area. And if Rare comes to the party with a new Banjo-like platformer (bless the series, I do love it) I may just vomit unto myself.

What's to Come?

But I won't pretend to know what Nintendo has fully planned for E3. Every year I expect one thing to happen and the company surprises me -- for better or worse, by doing something totally different. I guess that is also the Nintendo Difference. And for that reason I hope that my cynicism is truly unwarranted. Indeed, who could have foreseen the change with Zelda? Who could have guessed Capcom would throw its full Resident Evil license to GameCube? Who would have thought Minoru Arakawa would retire before his father-in-law? (And by the way, doesn't that seem just a little too suspicious to let go?) And now who really knows what may or may not happen at E3 in May? I have my guesses and my expectations, but I'm prepared to be blown away or let done -- whichever comes first.

So here's a question for readers: which one do you think gets delayed until 2003: Mario, Zelda or Metroid? Or two out of three? Or three out of three? Nintendo has been promising that all three will arrive sometime this year and -- as if you didn't have your own predictions, I'll go ahead and state right here and now that I think that's completely bogus. My guess is that Mario slips a few months in Japan and launches in the US this November. My hope is that Metroid will launch alongside it, or perhaps a slight bit earlier. Meanwhile, I'm confident that Zelda will see a delay into 2003. That, again, is part of the Nintendo Difference. One learns to read the release dates as the "not real release dates that we'll change as we feel necessary list." I really ought to add a "real suspected release date" area to our previews of games so as not to lead readers on.

So this week's rant comes to an end. I concede that my views are jaded -- I've been covering Nintendo long enough to get this way. I really don't think a person can call himself or herself a true Nintendo fan without being so. But certainly there are truths in this editorial, both good and bad and meant to at least be noted, if not pondered.
Old 01-16-02, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The console shortages are true. No one I know can find a Game Cube, but the Xbox and PS2 are everywhere. As far as the game shortages, is anyone really surprised? Do you really think Nintendo can turn out a A+ first party title every month? The games are much more plentiful than the N64, so no one should really be surprised or complaining. When Metroid, Mario, and Zelda do come out they will all have been worth the wait. Nintendo is a niche system and anyone expecting it to be anything like the PS2 is dreaming. It will have its share of third party games, but it relies first and foremost on its strong first and second party stuff and Nintendo can only release so many quality titles at a time. I remember periods as long as six months when the N64 had nothing worth buying.
Old 01-16-02, 02:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by darkside
Nintendo is a niche system and anyone expecting it to be anything like the PS2 is dreaming. It will have its share of third party games, but it relies first and foremost on its strong first and second party stuff and Nintendo can only release so many quality titles at a time. I remember periods as long as six months when the N64 had nothing worth buying.
Which is a great reason to use the Nintendo as a complementary system as you and I are doing.
Old 01-16-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I remember periods as long as six months when the N64 had nothing worth buying.
Too easy...
Old 01-16-02, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I remember periods as long as six months when the N64 had nothing worth buying.
I remember that the first April after the N64 came out, the only game that came out for it was War Gods. The first few years were bad, but by the end, I ended up with about 12 games that I really enjoyed and purchased.
Old 01-16-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i dunno...i'm suddenly rediscovering my love for the big N. I finally got around to getting an N64 and 14 A+ games, and I had completely forgotten what I was missing. In my Sony fanboy blindness, I must've been in complete denial about the FACT that Nintendo/Rare are the best 1-2 combo in the industry.

Sure, the N64 didn't get a ton of titles and cartridges were expensive, but in retrospect, there might just have been something to those "quality over quantity" mantras that i thought were just excuses for lack of 3rd party support.

I think the posters above were right in their assesment of Nintendo systems as supplementals. You buy them to play Nintendo/Rare stuff and buy something else to get all the other titles you want. I think the best combo right now would be a PS2 and a Cube....and I should note that I own niether.

I probably won't either...at least not until I get through Mario 64, Conker, Banjo Kazooi and Tooi, Zelda OOT and MM, DK 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Rogue Squadron...plus I have to make a little Mario Cart and Dr. Mario time.

Nintendo can rest easy knowing that I (and probably many like me) will buy a Cube when the games come whether I buy another system or not. And by all means, Nintendo, take your time on those games. Make them good.

Old 01-16-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big Nintendo Fan and I agree with everything in that rant. I just hope some big cheese at Nintendo is reading it and going "Oh *****."
Old 01-16-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I posted the link last night, but it was pointed out to me that it was insider only (I wish IGN would do a little better job of designating content as such). He's pretty much spot on, but considering I was happy with the output on the N64, I'm not too upset about the GC prospects.

As for the comments about Nintendo consoles destined to be a "niche system", people have really short memories. It wasn't until the N64 that this was the case, and it's hardly a situation that can't be reversed; whether it will or not is another story.
Old 01-16-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally posted by mmconhea
I'm a big Nintendo Fan and I agree with everything in that rant. I just hope some big cheese at Nintendo is reading it and going "Oh *****."
Is there some five-letter curse word in Japan that I'm unfamiliar with, because I can't think of any in English?
Old 01-16-02, 08:50 AM

I don't know how a 5th letter got in there. Well in that case it's german.

Even though the majority thinks the N64 was a failure, it had a long life and sold better than any previous nintendo home console. Not only that but cartidge royalties alone must have made Nintendo a billion.
Old 01-16-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody here have a Cube who doesnt own a PS2 or an XBox? I think every one of us went into it with our eyes wide open. You get quality games you cant get any where else. Was anybody expecting a AAA first party release every month?

Somewhat on topic, I beat Halo and Im halfway through Max Payne but Im nowhere near unlocking everything in SSB:M, I only have two golds in Rogue and I havent unlocked all the games in Monkey ball.

FWIW.
Old 01-16-02, 09:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I only own a Gamecube in terms of Next Generation consoles...my PC is my primary gaming rig.

As for the Gamecube, I disagree that it's a "niche" system like the N64 was. The problem with the N64 was the cartridges and difficult development. At that time, FMV video was all the rage...and it was something that the N64 couldn't do. As such, very few 3rd party titles were on both PSX and N64.

The situation is much different now. Many 3rd party titles are now coming out for all three platforms. Even Square and Rockstar are hinting that they will bring their titles to the Cube (which would be a big blow to Sony if it happens). Developers keep saying how easy the Cube is to develop for, which means that this trend will continue.
Old 01-16-02, 10:43 AM

I only own a Cube. But close friends have the other systems. I don't PC game. I didn't buy it for only Nintendo games. I want some of the hits from 3rd parties. Well, if Nintendo promises a certain number of games to be released in a certain time, and they don't follow through, the users can band together and file a lawsuit against them. It has happened in the past, since software is an actual feature of the system, promised with the purchase of the system. Intellivision was sued twice for not release certain hardware (controllers) and software (OS) that was promised to be released. The FTC charged them thousands of dollars a day for not following through with promises.

Not that it will happen, but it shows the responsibility that Nintendo has to follow through with promises or statements (made through press releases or interviews).
Old 01-16-02, 11:06 AM

Well, at least the author admits he's a fanboy.

I guess I will never understand this diehard fanaticism, that must be "The Nintendo Difference".

I should go trademark that. The author used it about 93 times in the article.

-Naan
Old 01-16-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Naan
Well, at least the author admits he's a fanboy.

I guess I will never understand this diehard fanaticism, that must be "The Nintendo Difference".

I should go trademark that. The author used it about 93 times in the article.

-Naan
Did you even read the article? For the most part it's used ironically.
Old 01-16-02, 11:26 AM

Intellivision was sued twice for not release certain hardware (controllers) and software (OS) that was promised to be released. The FTC charged them thousands of dollars a day for not following through with promises.
You got a link to a newstory or similiar item describing this situation? I did a web search, but the only lawsuits I can find against Intellivision were from Atari over copywright issues.

I don't see how consumers can sue Nintendo for not releasing a "promised" game. Eternal Darkness and Starfox were "promised" for the N64, but they were cancelled and moved to the N64. All kinds of games are cancelled and become vaporware...it happens all the time without lawsuits.
Old 01-16-02, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Eternal Darkness and Starfox were "promised" for the N64, but they were cancelled and moved to the N64.
Huh?
Old 01-16-02, 11:45 AM

I only own a Gamecube in terms of Next Generation consoles...my PC is my primary gaming rig.

As for the Gamecube, I disagree that it's a "niche" system like the N64 was. The problem with the N64 was the cartridges and difficult development. At that time, FMV video was all the rage...and it was something that the N64 couldn't do. As such, very few 3rd party titles were on both PSX and N64.

The situation is much different now. Many 3rd party titles are now coming out for all three platforms. Even Square and Rockstar are hinting that they will bring their titles to the Cube (which would be a big blow to Sony if it happens). Developers keep saying how easy the Cube is to develop for, which means that this trend will continue.
Groucho, once again I couldn't agree with you more. The N64 was without a doubt a niche system. I believe that the Game Cube will first be viewed as that same niche system...however.... as the GC ages it will become more of a competitor against PS2 and XBOX with growing 3rd party support. Looking back to the super NES days...Nintendo had all the 3rd party support that Sega had PLUS the awesome power of it's 1st party games. During this time Nintendo was the ruling king of consoles. This could very well happen to GC. Look at it...if the GC has all of the same 3rd party games as PS2 and XBOX plus you have the 1st party support ...what system are going to play? Looking ahead Nintendo could become that powerhouse console...but...it all comes down to the 3rd party support.
Old 01-16-02, 11:46 AM

Is there some five-letter curse word in Japan that I'm unfamiliar with, because I can't think of any in English?
That would be Nelly.
Old 01-16-02, 11:49 AM

Eternal Darkness and Starfox were "promised" for the N64, but they were cancelled and moved to the N64
Once again, I have proven that posting drunk is not necessarily the best course of action. This sentence should read:

Eternal Darkness and Dinosaur Planet were "promised" for the N64, but they were cancelled and moved to the Gamecube.

Old 01-16-02, 11:55 AM

Did you even read the article? For the most part it's used ironically
I did.

I don't deny that it's a well thought out and well written article, but when I read it I saw fanboy. There was obvious bias in the article in Nintendo's favor and I'm just glad the author admitted it.

-Naan
Old 01-16-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was obvious bias in the article in Nintendo's favor...
Nope.
Old 01-16-02, 12:09 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I don't deny that it's a well thought out and well written article, but when I read it I saw fanboy. There was obvious bias in the article in Nintendo's favor and I'm just glad the author admitted it.

-Naan
Well, you are right and wrong. Matt is the editor at IGNCube and he enjoys Nintendo products, but the article doesn't say "fanboy". If anything, it's critical of Nintendo's decisions and clearly not in Nintendo's favor.

Anyone can see that from reading it.

Last edited by Flay; 01-16-02 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-16-02, 12:10 PM

I have a book on the history of video games I first read about it there. This page has a short blurb about the keyboard lawsuit.
http://www.emuunlim.com/doteaters/play3sta3.htm

(It's a wonderful site and if you haven't already- read the whole thing)

And yes, Users can sue Nintendo if Nintendo releases information regaurding the features of the system in order to sell the system and does not follow through. And example would be > and they don't release 100 games. Well what about those people that bought it for the 100 game library?

Nintendo didn't promise those titles for the Nintendo 64, but release tentative release dates. In the case of Nintendo Press Releases this year they are actually making claims on the number of First Party and Total games to be released in a time frame. Why do they give these numbers? to boost sales fo the console.

And yes, gamemakers will delay and cancell games all the time and get away with it. But in those games, the Hardware manufacturer usually doesn't make claims directly and the effected audience doesn't have the legal power to counter those false claims. Luckily the FTC makes it easy now to file complaints over the web. At the end of the year, and Nintendo Doesn't live up to it's promises, FTC complaint may spark an investigation, and possible fines. Nintendo will either be forced to stop making claims it can't deliver on or increase game production.

It's more like if you buy a TV that says on the box supports up to 100 channels, and you go home hook it up and it only works on up 50 channels. The FTC fines companies that is finds make fraudulent claims to make a sale.
Old 01-16-02, 12:20 PM
Retired

Originally posted by joltaddict
Does anybody here have a Cube who doesnt own a PS2 or an XBox? I think every one of us went into it with our eyes wide open. You get quality games you cant get any where else. Was anybody expecting a AAA first party release every month?
I have the Cube and no PS2 or X-box. I'm happy with the amount of games. I have 6 to keep me busy until April when the A+ releases are supposed to start coming out. Being a full time college student, with a part time job and a bunch of hobbies besides video games, I wouldn't have time to enjoy an A+ title a month anyway. 6-8 a year or more than enough for me, especially since I can get sports and fighting games that don't get old. If video games are your #1 favorite thing to do, and you have a lot of time on your hands, then you definitely wouldn't want the Cube as your only next gen console, but for me it's perfect. I love the exclusive games (SMB, RL, SMB:M, plus Mario Zelda, etc. in the future) and there's more than enough games to keep me busy, given the small amount of free time I have to play games during the school year.

As for the shortages mentioned in the article, I don't think it's a big deal. Most people that wanted a cube for the games that are out now probably already bought one and there are no "system seller" games (and hardly any games period) coming out between now and April. In otherwords I doubt they would have sold more than 50,000 consoles a month in Jan, Feb and March anyway. As long as they get more consoles out by the time Star Fox, Eternal Darkness etc come out in April they'll be fine.

The rest of the article I agree with. Nintendo is a strange company, and they do strange things. I guess they know that they have a large, loyal fan base (plus a strangle hold and kids and joe six packs) that will keep them profitable almost regardless of what they do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.