Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox Magazine Fuel to the Fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-02, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBox Magazine Fuel to the Fire

Most of you know my stand on the console wars: each system is great for its own reason and there are very vaild reasons to love and be frustrated with each.

Last night I got a copy of the X-Box magazine, to check it out, see what people are writing about the X-Box, and WOW was I blow away at how US v. Them the magazine was.

There are several areas with headlines like 'Let's see PS2 or Game Cube Do That!", a chart of what to tell your friends who own other systems if they say they are better. All in all I thought it was pretty awful.

I counted at least 4 references to Nintendo's failed plans for a hard drive for their 64 system.

It troubles me that the 'official' magazine for one of the 3 major platforms has to be so amazingly caustic. Can't the Xbox just suceed on its own merits without having to bash the competition?

If I could justify having 3 game systems I would probably picked up an Xbox, not to mention the PR company reping Microsoft never came through with a demo unit for us. So right now I'm doing PS2 and Game Cube. But having played all 3 I have to say they're all really amazing.
Old 01-04-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow that is pretty sad. I've read the official Playstation mag and even Nintendo's own magazine and for the most part they simply don't talk about the other consoles. Instead just focusing on what they have. Microsoft is very serious about winning this war, but lashing out like that just sounds desperate.

I agree that they are all three pretty nice consoles though.
Old 01-04-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a smart thing to do...I guess. Articles like that will make a lot of immature X-Box owners feel better about their purchase.
Old 01-04-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Wow that is pretty sad. I've read the official Playstation mag and even Nintendo's own magazine and for the most part they simply don't talk about the other consoles. Instead just focusing on what they have. Microsoft is very serious about winning this war, but lashing out like that just sounds desperate.

I agree that they are all three pretty nice consoles though.
You know, now that you mention it I remember subscribing to Nintendo Power for a few years during the NES. Not once can I remember the magazine mentioning another console. It seems odd to me that the XBox magazine would resort to that type of 'journalism' since I would imagine that a reader of that magazine would already be an XBox owner.

I know one shouldn't expect an official magazine to be impartial, but that type of writing just seems way out of line.
Old 01-04-02, 02:34 PM

I got the same vibes from reading the premiere issue of the Xbox mag. As a longtime PS owner, I never really saw anything like that in the PSX mags. I came away from the Xbox mag feeling like it was written by some very nervous and insecure fanboys. I've not purchased another issue since (I don't own an Xbox, but I planned to buy the mag to stay up-to-date on the system, reviews, etc. because I think the system has some very strong merits).
Old 01-04-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The writers for that magazine were from a failed atempt at a PC gamer spinoff (cant recall the name).

They seem to feel that their attitude is somehow special. I have bought a few early copies but I will not be subscribing as I have seen their drivel before.
Old 01-04-02, 03:07 PM

can you type what was in the magazine, i would like to see what is states is so great about the xbox to use against other console owners.
Old 01-04-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have PSM coming to my house now, and not once have i seen them even MENTION the other consoles.
Old 01-04-02, 04:09 PM

I have read some interviews with the makers of gecko, the nintendo chip, and I've heard them compare themselves to the XBOX and PS2. They mention how they are faster than the PS2 and how they have more encoded in their chip which makes it better than the XBOX.

I really don't care about what one system has to say about the other. I own all three. I read that stuff for the review of the games. The bottom line is the games. Yes, what the system is capable of is important but the most importatant is what's being developed for them.
Old 01-04-02, 04:17 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sounds very unprofessional.
Old 01-04-02, 05:00 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with one company bragging about their product being better than another. Makes them competitive to come up with a better product.
Old 01-04-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

typical MS...All the executives could ever say when asked why the xbox is better was the gamecube was purple with a handle...they never even mentioned the games. I have all the systems and my Xbox has gotten the least play with halo the only game I even bothered playing more than once. But even halo in my opinion is nowhere near a "10"..maybe an 8...and its horrible playing witht hat controller.
Old 01-04-02, 05:44 PM

Ick thats really sad, especially because its the Official Magazine. And having charts to help gamers ridicule other consoles is pretty low.

The only magazine I get is actually Nintendo's Official magazine "Nintendo Power" because for some reason we keep getting it for free and no bills ever show up nor anything on my credit statement and I have no idea where it comes from. Anyway, in that magazine they never, ever, mention the competition or talk about other systems (rarely if it happens but almost never). They didn't even talk about sonic or crash bandicoot until those games were coming out for the Gamecube and GBA and it works pretty well because it shows what "they" have and not waste paper with what other companies should have. IMO, I think the only magazines that should compare consoles are the multi gaming mags like EGM because they play all the games for all the consoles and have formed some sort of opinion on what is really better, not just pointing out that past systems failed because of no hard drive.

I don't plan on getting any mags but maybe if someone wrote them a letter to improve their magazine? Would it even work?

Last edited by Outlaw; 01-04-02 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-04-02, 05:54 PM

The reason other mags don't print things about being better than the other systems is because it wouldn't be true. XBOX mag just tells it how it is.
Old 01-04-02, 06:13 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's ridiculous. As a journalism major and part-time reporter for the local paper, that kind of bias makes me sick. Their job should be to report on the X-box and review it's games, end of story.

PSM and Nintendo Power don't do that, but I still avoid them. I just don't trust the reviews in the "official" one system mags. EGM is the only gaming mag I read, and the only one worth my $ IMO. It's always unbiased, regardless of the system the game is on, or advertiser threats. They've had companies pull advertising several times after a poor review and have yet to flinch.
Old 01-04-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cyberock: Can you please stop with the fanboyish, childish posts? It is getting quite annoying
Old 01-04-02, 06:35 PM

Just so you all know. MIcrosoft does not run that magazine, they are independent and they can write whatever they want. Microsoft really has nothing to do with the magazine.

That being said, I think the magazine is funny but their bashing statements in the magazine are just childish.
Old 01-04-02, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by diacritic
Cyberock: Can you please stop with the fanboyish, childish posts? It is getting quite annoying
posts???? one post of obviously kiddin' around. notice the smiling face?? So ease up!!!

I have also read what Maynerd has said about Microsoft not being associated with the magazine. Don't blame Microsoft for what's said. I think the tone of the magazine was designed toward the type of audience it would hit. Look at the type of games that are popular for the XBOX. They are competitive or aggressive types of games unlike the cube which has more fantasy and fun types of games. I think the typical XBOX mag reader might have that mindset and would like to hear how their system is better than the other. I personally don't care which system is suppose to be better. Its about which system do I enjoy and everyone else's opinion means absolutely nothing to me.

Last edited by Cyberock; 01-04-02 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-04-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dont mind them braggin about there product. As long as they are not lying.
Old 01-04-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw
I don't plan on getting any mags but maybe if someone wrote them a letter to improve their magazine? Would it even work?
Probably not.

There were 2 printed letters in the letters section of the January 2002 Issue#2 Official Xbox Magazine both criticizing the magazine for the bias & asking why there were constant digs at GC & PS2 in the first issue, etc. The magazine response is quoted:
"We say: Sad to say, we received quite a few letters just like these two (only the spelling was awful and they used naughty words), and our answer is: LIGHTEN UP. We were just having a bit of fun and, in case you missed it, we also made fun of the Xbox. We are an Xbox magazine, and we wholeheartedly believe that the Xbox is the best gaming console on Earth. If you can't handle us poking a bit of fun at some of your investments (and can we just add that as a staff we own PCs, PS2s, Game Boys, everything), then you need to take several pills that lend themselves to the chills."

I read both issues cover to cover & I will say that they did take some digs at GC & PS2. But I must say that they also did make fun of the Xbox as they said above. I personally found much of the reporting to be fair. The magazine does say that the Xbox magazine, though official, is independent & I found their reviews of games & the system to be fair & not self-serving. The independent magazine Xbox Nation also poked fun at the other consoles but also included Xbox with the ribbing.

Both of these magazines read like a copy of Stuff or Maxim. Lots of wit (so they think ) & very smart-aleck about everything. If you notice, most men's magazines seem to be morphing into this attitude lately. I found the magazines funny & informative & I look forward to the next issue. I found the digs no worse than when Maxim makes fun of People Magazine or Men's Health Magazine.
Old 01-05-02, 03:54 AM

I just want to say that was a great post by brianluvdvd. I totally agree with what he had to say and the letter he quoted.
Old 01-05-02, 09:15 AM

I just read the FIRST magazine, my friend owns it. I did find it disappointing as well. Very little journalistic integrity by these guys. I've never seen a magzine be presented so poorly.

About MS not "owning" the company that produces the mag: That may be true, however, no magazine is truely independant do to dependantcy (sp?) .on advertisers. Looking through th mag I would say 60% of the aids where for games which MS directly has the publishing rights to.

So to say that MS has no influence on the magazine you are kidding yourself.

Mind you, I've only read the first issue, but it was really sad. I'll have to check back in a couple issues to see if its any better, but to tell the truth i don't want to.
Old 01-05-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think Cyberock is right though all kidding aside... the X-Box has a year over PS2 in terms of technical advancement and the specs there tell the story... also, it manages to out-spec the Gamecube as well. All three systems are great and whatnot, but in terms of technology and capabilities, the X-Box sits on top.

As for the magazine - I don't see anything wrong with trouncing other systems - I dropped the magazine though because it just came off as an advertisement for the X-Box and I wasn't interested in paying for an advertisement. Brian S - was the failed PC Gamer magazine you're referring to called PCXL (PC Accellerator)? - Cuz that was one of the best written magazines I've ever read. If that's the case, then I'll pick it up again.
Old 01-05-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It really is sad for a game magazine to have to resort to that type of attitude.
I guess the best thing to do is not support them.
Old 01-05-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Kellehair
It's a smart thing to do...I guess. Articles like that will make a lot of immature X-Box owners feel better about their purchase.
This is true. But Microsoft is going pretty low to get their customers to feel good about their purchase.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.