Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on a second console: X-Box vs. Gamecube.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help me decide on a second console: X-Box vs. Gamecube.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ScandalUMD
Actually, Rogue Leader was developed by Factor 5, which is second party to Nintendo.
Since when is Factor 5 a second party?
Old 01-01-02, 12:02 AM

The Xbox and the PS2 are definately systems for adults.

My son and his friend were playing his GC and I thought the graphics were pretty good, but man all I can say is that the GC needs a Fisher-Price logo on it. Only the Star Wars game seemed to catch my interest as an adult type game of all the games his friend brought with him.

As kiddy as the rest of the games seemed, it wouldn't suprise me to see that Nintendo changes the name of Resident Evil to Resident Goody 2 Shoes.

The GC was gonna be my 2nd system until I got to see it in action.
I'll check it out in a few months to see if it matures any.

Xbox & PS2 = Adult

Gamecube = Pablum Puker

Just my opinion
Old 01-01-02, 11:33 AM
Suspended

I have a PS2, and to perfectly honest I don't really like it. The first week I had it I loved it, now I barely touch it anymore. I have a friend with an Xbox and a friend with a Gamecube, personally, I like Xbox a lot, and I am planning to pick one up as soon as I set asside the cash. The system itself seems better, the controlers aren't designed for 10 year old hands like PS2 seems to be, and all the games I've played have been fun

It looks like in the long run either PS2 or Xbox will be best to have, they both seem to have a bunch of the same games out or coming out, but xbox just seems a lot nicer to me all around.
Old 01-01-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by WOWZY
The Xbox and the PS2 are definately systems for adults.

My son and his friend were playing his GC and I thought the graphics were pretty good, but man all I can say is that the GC needs a Fisher-Price logo on it.
Considering how many adults I know that are enjoying their Game Cubes I will have to disagree. Believe it or not, games like Smash Bros, Pikmin, and Super Monkey Ball have enough challenge and gameplay that they can be enjoyed by adults as well.

If blood, gore, and violence are the only things that makes a system for 'adults', then Eternal Darkness will be out soon and of course all the Resident Evil games.
Old 01-01-02, 01:20 PM

I agree with you that the gameplay of those games can entertain adults as well, but in my case it's hard for me to get into a game that has kiddy characters. Maybe I'm wrong but as a Nintendo fan for more than 10years, the GC seems to have lowered it's target audience age with the initial lineup of games. I'm hoping my type of games will catch up because I wanted the GC to be my second system over the PS2 because of game overlap between my Xbox and the PS2. I definately have been needing a Metroid "Fix" for a long time. They've had plenty of time to develop the next Metroid into a phenominal game.

I'll probably buy it now with the Star Wars game to keep me entertained till the good ones come out.
Old 01-01-02, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

What kind of games are you looking for, because it seems to me that if you wanted Nintendo games you would have just bought it withought a second thought. What I think you may be doing is considering the X-Box but are afraid of the system flopping or not being worth the investment. I had a PS1 and almost bought the PS2 until I decided to wait to see what the X-Box was like. One year later after trying several PS2 games and a few X-Box ones at stores I was sold on the X-Box and haven't regretted it yet. While some will say it is just a pc and only has pc games I think it is much more than that. With a pc you have to upgrade all the time to new drivers and cards to be compatable with the newer games, with the X-Box the games a made for the X-Box no more upgrading and the X-Box is made to play games not do word processing. If you really look at all the games systems they are nothing but pc parts in a pretty case. As for shooters are only good on the pc, HA what a joke, I never played a shooter in my life and only bought Halo because of the hype and I haven't had any problems with the game or the controlers. Halo is the best game I have ever played PERIOD, but the X-Box has alot more to offer than 1 game. The hard drive makes saves a breeze and load times even faster, the graphics are the best for any game sytem today and Dolby 5.1 blows you away. Take it from someone who has owned just about every game system since the Atari the X-Box blows them all away.
Old 01-01-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
XBOX!
Old 01-02-02, 03:33 AM

I'm lucky enough to have both systems, though my PS2 hasn't getting much attention from me lately.

First off, they're both great systems. On the Gamecube, I'm currently playing Star Wars Rogue Leader II (beautiful graphics), Super Monkey Ball (addictive and/or frustrating, which ever you like), and Super Smash Bros. Melee (excellent replay value). These games are fantastic and if these games interest you, I'd say get the cube.

However, the XBOX really suprised me. The graphics are the best you'll ever see. They're so smooth and makes the game a lot more fun to play. Halo is now my favorite game. Dead or Alive 3 is also fun. Its graphics are amazing, as well as the gameplay. I was also shocked at how well NFL Fever 2002 was. I think these are the best 3 games for x box right now, until Shenmue II comes out.