Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Your all time favorite moments in video games past and present...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Your all time favorite moments in video games past and present...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-01, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by HN
This may sound made up but i assure you it's true it's true:

Mario Kart 64, Wario Stadium, last lap--

i was in fourth place armed with a lightning coming to the last wall. first place already made it around the last turn and was heading for the finish line. I hit the lightning and was able to do the jump over the wall trick. Ended up landing on top of the first place guy crushing him into a pancake. the guy yelp like a little 4 year old and practically threw the controller at me as i crossed the finish line. laughing, pointing, and high-fiving ensued afterwards

greatest.........moment......ever

--HN
Dude, I'm not trying to be a bragger, but that is tame compared to some of the stuff I've seen pulled off on that game. One time, we were playing Wario Stadium and I was trying the Super Shortcut (for the 5 second lap) the whole race. Everyone else was on the end of the last lap when I hit it three times in a row to win the race. That still wasn't the craziest thing I've seen in that game.
Old 12-26-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sexual references in Leisure Suit Larry was edgy for it's time and I had so much fun trying to score. I still remember the beautiful women in cutting edge 16 Color EGA.

Ahh the memories... back when SIERRA actually made games and not just Published them.
Old 12-26-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Another Final Fantasy moment:

We were in college when FF7 came out and we were, well, geeks. So we had named all the people in the party as our friends and roomates. My roomates girlfriend was Aeris and was watching during that cutscene. We all just kind of nervously looked back at her and said "um....sorry"

I think my biggest "moment" was beating the second jet-ski level in Super Battletoads for the Super NES. I remember just tossing the controller down and collapsing.

I once watched my roommate in college play the Train level in Goldeneye 37 times to get the best time to unlock whatever code you got for it. He had it down to a science by the end, when we realized that he had to run left and kill the people outside the train or it wouldn't let you beat it quickly Boy was he mad we didn't figure that out sooner

My latest was this past weekend. My wife has never been an avid gamer (7th Guest and You Don't Know Jack is about it) But she got me Tony Hawk 3 for the PS2 and played quite a bit. It brought a tear to my eye to hear her say, after a crash, "aw, I was trying to ollie into another grind."
Old 12-26-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most memorable would be exploring the castle courtyard in Mario 64 on release day. climbing up trees, diving in the water... I spent hours doing that, and the game hadn't really started yet.

Another great one was when TMNT the Arcade Game came out for the original NES. I was amazed that it was such a great conversion of my favorate arcade game.

My first head shot in Goldeneye, which I thought was a mediocre game up until that point. That gaurd in the first tower in the Damn level never saw it coming.

Another one was Turok 2 for the 64. The first game to come out in "hi-rez". That game was huge!

An there are too many to list for the three Half Life games.

In the original Unreal when you are escaping and you hear some guy get maulded by a beast behind a cargo door you can't open. Then you see blood and guts splatter from under the door. When it opens, you see th beast running in the distance. Made me think it was going to be a great game.
Old 12-27-01, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by White Knight
I'm going to have to agree with dancinns and say when Sephiroth kills Aeris in FF7. That was a very powerful moment. Come to think about it....everything In FF7 had that feeling of a favorite moment.
Totally agree. Till this day FFVII is my favorite Final Fantasy game (haven't player FFX yet)
Old 08-29-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Resident Evil: Nemesis

I played this on Playstation and got really into it. But the monster that follows you through the game (Nemesis) really wracked my nerves! I remember several times during the game I'd be at a certain point, not much health, and praying for a save spot. Then all of a sudden the Nemesis would just pop up and try to kill me. And it was always chanting "Stars, Stars". Hated that thing! Gave me the creeps...
Old 08-29-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In "Out of this World" in the final cutscene where your prision mate carries you and both of you fly away on a teradactly (can not spell nor will I try).

Also FFVII is the best FF game but FFX is a close second. I couldn't beleive Aeris died too.

Ah, the memories.
Old 08-30-02, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I liked the moment in that Atari game where that one block launched a block at another block and the other block disappeared.
Old 08-30-02, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dancinns
When Sephiroth kills Aeris in FF7. It suprised me since she was one of my better characters and besides they never kill off characters!
That was a huge shock for me too. I thought she was going to get together with Cloud!
Old 08-30-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cubanx
The sexual references in Leisure Suit Larry was edgy for it's time and I had so much fun trying to score. I still remember the beautiful women in cutting edge 16 Color EGA.

Ahh the memories... back when SIERRA actually made games and not just Published them.
"References"? There were straight-up sex scenes in those games!
Old 08-30-02, 01:27 PM

Reading this thread has brought tears of nostalghia to my eyes...Gologo 13 getting laid, the first Tomb Raider, FFVII, Goldeneye, RE...thanks everyone.

Here's some others that I remember fondly:

-In Ninja Gaiden II when it's revealed that the final boss from the first game is back from the dead.

-The moment in GTA3 that I realized how much freedom there was, something I've been wanting in console games for years.

-The opera scene in FFIII, fighting through enemies on the grid above the stage to stop the assasination of one of the actors in the production down below.

-The ice planet level in Thunderforce III.

-When my girlfriend and I went to Best Buy at 5 AM to wait in line for PS2's. I wasn't even going to purchase one but she encouraged me to do so and reignited the gamer in me.

Ahhhh, the memories of sitting alone in front of the TV for hours at a time. If life now were only that simple.

Last edited by remjim; 08-30-02 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-30-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I have many, but the one that immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title was the original Golgo 13 for the NES

Spoiler:
Golgo 13 gets laid like 10 minutes into the game, and again near the end.
One of my favorite games ever...and that was definitely a surprise the first time I played it.
Old 08-30-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Hear the bling sounds from my GBA after installing the Afterburner!
Old 08-31-02, 10:33 PM
Banned

Playing NiGHTS for the first time on a demo machine at Hades Haunted House at the Odeum in Villa Park, IL.

NiGHTS is one of my favorite games of all time now, and also caused me to buy a Sega Saturn instead of a N64. I was reallllly looking forward to the N64, so much so that I actually bought stock in SGI.

Luckily, I ended up playing the SGI stock well and making upwards of doubling my money, as well as getting to play one of the best games of all time.

-Jim
Old 08-31-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In recent memory...I'd have to say the climactic ending sequence for Halo ("Warning: Hitchikers may be escaping convicts") That way I don't spoil it for anybody...
Old 09-01-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
... the first time I was shot in Battlezone, and I saw the bullet coming..... nightmarish......
Old 09-01-02, 01:22 AM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

counterstrike. cs_siege. i became rambo.

my whole stupid team (counter-terrorists) would keep running into enemy snipers, and all 5 of them were dead within 3 minutes, leaving me with a glock and no armor against 6 terrorists. i managed to take out every single one of them (without camping!). i've never felt a rush like that from a video game...
Old 09-02-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd have to say the end sequence to Starcraft - an awesome ending to a great story.
Old 09-02-02, 01:22 PM

just recently,

I usually play Hot Shots Golf 3 with 2 or 3 of my friends. i was like 5 strokes down with 3 holes left, par5, par3, par4. then the comeback - chip-in eagle, hole-in-one, and a birdie while the leader double bogied and got par on the other 2 holes.

Hot shots golf 3 is awesome. its so funny when somebody hits it the ball into the water or OB. one time this hole had 2 water ponds on opposite side of the green and i keeped hitting it into the water back and forth, we were all cracking up, i was pissed though.
Old 09-02-02, 02:10 PM
Banned

That I defeated Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat 2, That was one rocking game
Old 09-02-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
anyone remember the "licker" behind the two way mirror in RE2?

That one got me 3am... by myself... on a 50 inch tv.

I threw down the contoller.... said "FK this!"... and went up to bed.
(heart pounding)

-k
###

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I read this thread and laughed when i read your post. This part scared the crap out of me!
I also remember playing Ninja Gaiden on the NES and thinking it was one of the best games ever, and it still is to me. Also playing Dracula Unleashed and Night Trap on my Sega CD were pretty big milestones for my gaming experiences. Oh and i remember playing Silent Hill 2 not so long ago and i was riding in the elevator in the hospital and it stopped and the gameshow host voice appeared and gave me the three hints for opening the treasure chest(box), that was freaky for me!
Old 09-02-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Memories...

I have had several moments if youll endulge me I'd like to share them with you.

Super Mario Bros Series (1-3). This trilogy of games was often a topic of argument with me and my small circle of friends. While I had a subscription to Nintendo Power they told me reading these books were useless, and the tricks printed in the magazines were wrong. They stopped talking smack when I beat the games before they could .

Street Fighter 2 (SNES) This game brought me and my friends a lot closer. If it werent for this game I wouldnt have the friends I have today. I guess from this game (series wise) forward
I kept on playing. If it werent for my SF skills I dont think Jack and I would be as cool as we are. My joy was doubled when Capcom released the SF collections on the PSX.

Resident Evil(PSX) The reason I bought a PlayStation. This game scared me like nothing else has before. Beat it in one week, and kept playing for the love of the story and the characters.

Castlevania Symphony of The NightAfter reading so much about this game I bought it used at a Blockbuster Video. I played the first section and put the game away and forgot about it for about two years. No Im not kidding . Then one day while playing the older Castlevania titles I realized I never completed Symphony. Cleaning out my room I found it right where I left it. Next to the PSM mag I read about featuring Symphny. A month later I was playing it again for the seond time trying to get 196%
Even now this game blows me away.

Super Mario 64I didnt buy a Nintendo 64 right away I waited. My sister got one as a gift from her boyfriend. This was at a time when she and I werent as close as we are today. On my days off of work (and hers as well) we would stay up late playing the game together tryingto get all the stars we can. The game let us grow closer than before, and still play it to this day.
Old 09-03-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
All of my memories are from the PC.

The first time playing through the original Alone in the Dark. Still the creepiest game I've played.

The first time I ran into a Chrysalid in XCOM: UFO Defense. Tossing a rocket right into it, causing mass destruction all around, and seeing the alien still standing got my heart racing. I lost more men (turned into zombies) to Chrysalids than any other race.

Playing Spear of Destiny and having an SS guard pop out of nowhere yelling "spion!". My friend nearly had a heart attack and I temporarily lost the ability to fire and move in a straight line.

Arriving in Trinsic for the first time in Ultima VII: The Black Gate. I knew that I was in store for a grand adventure. This was the first Ultima I played and it remains my favorite.

Installing and playing The 7th Guest, the reason I (and many many others) bought a CD-ROM drive.

Doing the trench run in X-Wing! That game was so amazing. And so hard. I felt like king of the world when I finished that game (the only one of my friends who was able to make it through).
Old 09-03-02, 07:34 PM

My first time playing Super Robot Taisen on the SNES. Giant robot crossovers ownz me.
Old 09-03-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spending all damn day to beat Blaster Master (NES) after many months of trying
Damned if that wasn't a long game!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.