Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

A harsh lesson I have learned about video games in recent years...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-01, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That the more you are psyched up about a game...the more you are looking foward to a game's release...the more you obsess over a game that is coming out...the more and more it will inevitably be delayed ::sigh::...in a perfect world I can walk into a store and be besieged my millions and millons of copies of the particular game I want handed to me on a sliver platter :-)
Old 12-19-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd say the company that has caused me the most anguish over the last five years has been Blizzard. Diablo, StarCraft and Diablo II all tantalized me for months and months - then were delayed by a few more months, then a few more. Although they never did commit themselves to any release dates - they usually would say something like Q3 1995. I remember earlier in the year, some dumb kid says he couldn't wait to play Warcraft III and it should be out by the end of the year. With Blizzard, we'll all be lucky to have WarCraft III by Christmas of 2002. Now they have whetted everyone's appetite with the announcement and pics of World of Warcraft which I won't expect for at least another 3 years. Really, at least in something as trivial as computer games, what you don't know won't hurt you. I wish these computer games wouldn't release any info or pics until they are much further along into the production and at least within a calendar year of video games. That would be like putting a kickass trailer at the beginning of every movie for the next 3 years - then three years later when you think the movie is coming out, they say it will be a few more months.
Old 12-19-01, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would have to be the case with every (3D) RARE title since Goldeneye. I was so eager to get my hands on Perfect Dark ever since the teaser was put up on their home page. It just pisses me off that it takes them so long to get a game out. I obsess about it more than I will end up playing the game. I wish I could just cyogenically freeze myself until Perfect Dark Zero comes out.

Back in the Days of Atari, where even Kool-Aid was putting out original games, there were too many games. I felt overwhelmed when entering a game store.
Old 12-19-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
How about Duke Nukem' ? Still waiting.................................
Old 12-19-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
**********Mild Soul Reaver 2 Spoiler maybe************

My current personal tormentor is Eidos with Blood Omen & Soul Reaver. After the first Soul Reaver, I was looking forward to the DC SR2 (which was canceled). The PS2 version was constantly pushed back and after it arrives it takes the story forward only to leave another bloody cliffhanger ending and more unanswered questions.

Truthfully I don't mind the waiting for games as long developers are upfront. If a game's going to take 10 months to finish don't tell me six. If it's early good, if it's on time fine.

The worst offenders IMHO:
Nintendo (1st and all 2nd parties)
Blizzard
****these two are quickly forgiven my most because the
games tend to be great
Eidos
Square
Old 12-19-01, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mmconhea

Back in the Days of Atari, where even Kool-Aid was putting out original games, there were too many games. I felt overwhelmed when entering a game store.
Ohhh Yeah! I remember the Kool-Aid game...at least one of them anyway (were there more than 1?)
Old 12-19-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by SmackDaddy
You mean the biggest game of 1999. Duke Nukem Forever. I guess we know the real meaning of the name now.

Delays suck, but getting a game full of bugs and bad gameplay is even worse. Quake II ruined me for PC gaming. That game was no where near ready when released. It took about 10 patches to finally getting it running right on my PC. I've rarely bought a PC game since.
Old 12-19-01, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by darkside

You mean the biggest game of 1999. Duke Nukem Forever. I guess we know the real meaning of the name now.

Delays suck, but getting a game full of bugs and bad gameplay is even worse. Quake II ruined me for PC gaming. That game was no where near ready when released. It took about 10 patches to finally getting it running right on my PC. I've rarely bought a PC game since.
The worst offender of "beta" versions of a game being released had to be Black and White. The game could have been so cool if it hadn't also been some of the buggiest software i have ever played in my life.
Old 12-20-01, 12:01 AM

I'm also waiting "forever" for Duke Nukem. But at least there's enough good games out that will tie me over until the next big game. That has always been the case for me. During long droughts, however, I find myself reinstalling a game to whet my appetite. For example, I was so eager to play Halo (XBOX) and in the process, ended up playing Half-Life all over again.
Old 12-20-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
Ohhh Yeah! I remember the Kool-Aid game...at least one of them anyway (were there more than 1?)
There was one for the Atari and one for Intellevision.
Old 12-20-01, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
Yeah, what's the deal on this. I'm always waiting for the next Duke. Just played through the last N64 one a few weeks ago.
Old 12-20-01, 09:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would have the games done right than done quickly myself.
Old 12-20-01, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
I would have the games done right than done quickly myself.
Amen to that!