Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is there really a difference on Controllers?

Old 12-09-01, 12:01 PM

Is there really a difference on Controllers?

I was in Circuit City yesterday debating on buying a 3rd party controller for $25 or the regular XBOX controller for $40. The only difference I saw was color. The sales guy told me that there is a performance difference, that 3rd party controllers are slower. Sounds like a sales line to me.
Old 12-09-01, 12:11 PM

Typically, first-party are higher quality controllers with fewer problems to worry about. (DC owners know of the damage some third-party controllers occasionally did to the DC's controller ports, for example.)

Since so many people seem to hate the original Xbox controller, though, there'll probably be a greater percentage of third-party controllers being used for this system.

Personally, I'd always recommend first-party controllers if you find them comfortable.
Old 12-09-01, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

all I know is that four out of four third party controllers for my DC crapped out on me within 6 months of use!! Sure I saved money short term but in the long run it ended up costing me more. I'll never go 3rd party again!
Old 12-09-01, 01:52 PM

I have always found 3rd party controllers feel cheaper, and don't last. The analog stick always is loose, and the parts on the controller don't usually last that long.

Hope this helps, but this is only my opinion, my brother has a 3rd party PS2 controller by Madcatz and I love it. Depends on the company I guess.
Old 12-09-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it depends on who the 3rd party is. I have had no problems with any of madcatz stuff. interact is so-so (their gamepads are crap but their arcade sticks are superb IMO)
pelican: never again
Old 12-09-01, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never been happy with anything I've purchased from third parties. Interact and Pelican stuff is terrible. I only buy first party accessories for stuff like memory cards and controllers.
Old 12-10-01, 12:52 AM

Liscensed Controllers are key...

Keep in mind that the Xbox has several LISCENSED third party controllers this time around. MadCatz, Interact, Thrustmaster, and Gamester all have OFFICIALLY LISCENSED Xbox controllers. For a full list, go to www.xbox.com (Systyem/Hardware section).

Whatever you do stay away from unlicensed controllers, as they are shoddy. I think even MadCatz or Interact has unlicensed controllers for the Xbox to go along with their licensed ones.
Old 12-10-01, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1st party all the way.

I've never bought an "off brand" controller that I was happy with