Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Do you think we'll see FF on the Cube?

Old 12-07-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do you think we'll see FF on the Cube?

Back in the day I purchased a PS1 just because I wanted to play FF VII.....After I finished FFIX, I began to think....should I purchase a PS2 just for FFX? I'm holding back....$300 bucks is alot! I want a new Sanyo Cell phone instead haha.

Anyway, Do you think square will re-introduce FF games to Nintendo? I don't want FFXI to be the first Cube game if it is. FFXI isn't a FF game to me... Online game play? Not for this game, Halo yes! FF NO!
Old 12-07-01, 02:45 PM

Frankly I don't see it happening. The breakup was pretty dirty at the time. I will say that money does talk, so I wouldn't be ultra surprised either.
Old 12-07-01, 02:46 PM

No.
Old 12-07-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure about the GameCube, but I think the opportunity is definitely there on the Advance. Profits mean more than any exaggerated "falling out" they had.
Old 12-07-01, 03:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sony bailed Square out recently and bought up a bigger chunk of the company, so no.
Old 12-07-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
as stated above Sony owns a bit of them now because they lost so much in the movie. So the answer is No.

But wait.. there could be a snow ball chance in hell that it could happen, but thats just a rumor right now. the game would be on all platforms. but do not think cube will get any exculsives. sony is getting all those
Old 12-07-01, 03:37 PM

I'm gonna cut and paste a friend of mine who is "knowledgable" posted on my board:

Well, I'm gonna squash this assumption real fast so there's no confusion. Nothing is exclusive because of Sony's investment in Square. The investment has nothing to do with company control or property rights, just money. No more, no less.

Sony does not have a controlling interest in Square, nor will they ever. Their 19% is not enough to put them in a position to make any company-wide decisions. This deal was just made as a financial supplement for both companies. In a nutshell, Sony has something Square wants and Square has something Sony wants. It's no different than any other person/company who invests in a company. Square has many investors ranging form individuals to companies. Many of you don't hear about them because it wouldn't matter if you knew their names since you don't know who they are. The only reason why this made "news" is because Sony is a major player in the videogame industry and anything financially they do is considered high-profile.

Just so you guys won't worry or start believing everything you read, see, and hear, nothing has changed except for the fact that the company finances probably stand to be in a much better position. There's no exclusive rights for any Square product, but you can bet Sony will always try to sweeten any deal when it comes to their product. And the same can be said for Microsoft as well which we all know has been in talks (and still is) with Square for some time.

Believe me when I say, whoever can offer the most potential and future exposure gets the prize. And with the recent changes in leadership, you can bet things are gonna be the same.

The balls up for grabs and whoever wants it bad enough, will most likely get it. And whos' to say it won't be more than one party invovled. I mean, the days of exclusivity are pretty much on their way out, save a few key projects.
Old 12-07-01, 03:47 PM
Retired

It's possible, but unlikely. Square stated several months ago that they were interested in developing for the GC, but Nintendo said they weren't interested in letting them. The break-up after the SNES was pretty ugly and Miyamota hates games with a lot of movies. He has a ton of say with what games come out on Nintendo systems and what agreements they enter into, so that hurts the chances. Though I did read something recently saying that Nintendo was going to be more flexible with third party games and not hold them to the same quality standards as their first and second party games, so that might not matter. Sony buying part of Square probably hurts a little, but by no means rules it out.

At any rate, I'd say if FF is your favorite series, pick up a PS2. If anything I'm sure it will always get the new games first, even if they eventually end up the the GC.

Personally I haven't liked the last two Final Fantasy games, and haven't loved one of them since FFIII. Coupled with the fact that I don't really have the time to invest 40+ hours in one game anymore and have pretty much given up RPG's, I could care less whether Square comes to the GC.
Old 12-07-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nope.

-k
###
Old 12-07-01, 07:35 PM

Sony's 19% ownership of Square may not be a majority, but it's still a sizable chunk. Square isn't going to do something that would infuriate Sony after Sony helped them out like that... Anyone know the percentage of Rare that Nintendo owns? From what I remember hearing, it was not a majority either. Seeing Final Fantasy on GameCube is about as likely as seeing Perfect Dark on PS2.
Old 12-07-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I want to see FF3 on the GBA or Secret of Mana on GBA.!! God, that would be awesome!! Or how about that FF1 remake from the wonderswan?

Actually I remember reading that after Square's success with releasing games on the Wonderswan in japan, they "expressed" interest in developing games for the Game Boy Advance but Nintendo (that one mean guy, can't recall his name right now) said "noooooooooo way!" because i guess they're still angry that square bailed on them for the PSone with FFVII. Yeesh!

Its still a possibility as most people say but after sony investing stock in them I doubt it . Thats why I bought my PS2 though. Still it would be nice to see square on a portable system like the GBA. Golden Sun is an excellent example of what can be done on the GBA.
Old 12-08-01, 01:32 PM

OK, so how about Final Fantasy 10 for the X-Box?
Old 12-12-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sad news:

News Article: Squaresoft - Still ain't happening
News Date: 12/12/2001
Source: The Magic Box
Link: http://www.geocities.com/chtang.geo/gaming.htm
Discuss it in the Forum!

We still get e-mails about Square daily. More news why Square and Nintendo won't be getting in bed any time soon....

Magic Box has a report from Bloomberg stating some of the reasons why Nintendo and Square still aren't seeing eye to eye...

Bloomberg reported that Square and Nintendo have been exchanging ideas on developing for the Nintendo platforms. At the current state, Square does not have plans to develop for GameCube, due to the different point of views on online games. Nintendo's idea is to connect GameCube, GameBoy Advance and cellular phone together to form a gaming network for small groups of people. Square is aiming to provide online game software on large scale server which can serve several thousands of people simultaneously. At this point it seems the chance for the Square software to reappear on Nintendo platforms is smaller.

http://www.planetgamecube.com
Old 12-12-01, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope so, but I really don't think so.