Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pikmin, Anyone?

Old 12-07-01, 02:01 PM

Pikmin, Anyone?

I haven't seen discussion on this game yet, and I fear that it hasn't been getting much attention in the shadow of SSBM. I've been playing this game, and it's great. It's a solid RTS game, but with other elements intertwined in as well. Anybody else pick this one up?

The game is supposedly pretty short (although longer than Luigi's Mansion. However, there is a "challenge mode" that opens up after you finish the main game that supposed to increase the replayability considerably. I haven't gotten that far yet, so I don't know how good it is.

The most interesting thing about this game that I've discovered is that mastering camera control is key. Most games I just find a camera setting that I'm comfortable with and let it go from there, only adjusting the camera occasionally to see around corners or whatnot. Not with Pikmin...I find myself controlling the camera as much as I control my little man. My advice to new players is that on day one (where there is no time limit so that you can learn game mechanics) you learn to smoothly control the camera at the same time you are learning how to control your man and issue orders to the Pikmin.
Old 12-07-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Groucho, I just picked this title up today. I love it!!!!! It's alot better than I expected. For some odd reason, I was thinking it was a pokémon game. Ever so wrong was I! After playing it in EB I realized this game was addictively FUN!!

I think this game will tie me over after finishing- Luigi, Rouge Leader, Batman and Smash Bro.’s
Old 12-07-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by White Knight
For some odd reason, I was thinking it was a pokémon game.
I would wager that the name is a common source of confusion.
Old 12-07-01, 06:20 PM

I played this game for 3 hours straight with only 1 bathroom break the other day.. I haven't done that with any game in a long time.. Really quite an impressive game. Between, Pikman, Halo and MGS2 it's been quite an amazing few weeks for games!