Reload this Page >

GBA lights and interconnects?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-07-01, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got one of those GBA/Mario Kart packs yesterday. Looks like it will be fun. Need another one so my better half can beat me at it Anyway...

Need recommendations for lights. A quick browse on Amazon showed a bunch that all look a bit crappy. What's the good one? Which ones should I avoid?

Before the GBA was released I remember reading about a wireless interconnect (Bluetooth or something I assume). Yet I've heard nothing more. What happened? I'd mauch rather have that than a cable.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-01, 12:37 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recommend the Pelican light shield advance. but keep in mind...grab the new model. The old model did not require a separate battery so it drained my GBA batteries like mad and there was still some glare.

Now, the new model requires a separate AAA battery but also uses LED bulb so battery drain is much much less. IMO, lights up the screen better and with a little less glare. also has an ambient light detector so it dims and brightens automatically according to your surrounding light (i think this is useless but can be by-passed and there is a manual dimmer). and unlike some other "shield" lights, this one sits nicely flushed against the GBA when flipped down.

--HN
Old 12-07-01, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the original Pelican light, modded with an LED in place of the bulb and it works great. I'll probably be buying a backlight module from Portable Monopoly when they're ready, though.
Old 12-07-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I second the pelecan, but I have the old model. HN, where can I pick up a new model?
Old 12-07-01, 01:30 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aghama, i did that, too, according to the walkthrough at gbalight.com. worked pretty good. was frustrating trying to get the triwing screws off without a triwing screwdriver . and then even more frustrating when i found out there was one going to be made by pelican. so now i have both

mmconhea, i saw them at Best Buy but most stores should have them these days. you'll know it when you see it b/c it clearly touts the "light sensor" feature.

--HN
Old 12-07-01, 04:07 PM
Banned

OK, picked up a new style Pelican light. Thanks.

What about the wireless interconnect?
Old 12-07-01, 04:53 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sorry, no info on wireless interconnects. my buddy has the 4 player cable thing. i think it's nintendo brand. works fine.

--HN
Old 12-08-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a lot of people think that the official nintendo light is the best. it was previously unavailable but now TRU has them. its really expensive though 20$. can anyone shout out praises about it?
Old 12-08-01, 04:02 PM

I got the Gamestop GBA light, it uses no batteries (instead it sucks all the battery life out of the GBA) . Other then having to buy rechargeable batteries, I've had no big problems. I like this light because I don't have to get AAA batteries, and it doubles as a screen cover. It did get a little loose though over time so now you have to hold it a little while to get it to stay in place.