Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Component cable switchbox

Old 12-07-01, 09:56 AM

Component cable switchbox

Does anyone know where I can get one? I want to connect both the Gamecube and Xbox to my progressive component imput. I don't want to keep plugging and unplugging the cables to the back of the tv every time I use a different system.
Old 12-07-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine at Radio Shack a few years ago. I think it was $20 or $30. It has 4 separate hook-ups.
Old 12-07-01, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you want to go cheap, just use a standard a/v switch box with the red, white and yellow rca jacks. A component video switch box could be expensive and you might not even notice the difference. My 2 cents.
Old 12-07-01, 10:48 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Component cable switchbox

Originally posted by pork-chop123
Does anyone know where I can get one? I want to connect both the Gamecube and Xbox to my progressive component imput. I don't want to keep plugging and unplugging the cables to the back of the tv every time I use a different system.
Are you looking for something like this?

Sony Video Source Selector model number SB-V40S.

Audio-video selector (S-video compatible) hooks up to 4 audio/video components or video games to one TV
4 S-video inputs and 1 S-video output (SBV-405)
4 stereo audio/video RCA inputs
1 stereo audio/video RCA output
1 stereo 3.5mm mini-jack output (on front panel)
7-1/8" x 1-3/4" x 2-3/8"

Do a search in ebay for "video selector". RCA and Recoton also makes them.

Last edited by dgc; 12-07-01 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-07-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am using the Radio Shack one. I have had it for a long time since the SNES days. It works great, no need for the sony unit since the SVideo is not an issue.
Old 12-07-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Component cable switchbox

Originally posted by dgc

Are you looking for something like this?

Sony Video Source Selector model number SB-V40S.

Audio-video selector (S-video compatible) hooks up to 4 audio/video components or video games to one TV
4 S-video inputs and 1 S-video output (SBV-405)
4 stereo audio/video RCA inputs
1 stereo audio/video RCA output
1 stereo 3.5mm mini-jack output (on front panel)
7-1/8" x 1-3/4" x 2-3/8"
Looks like that box just does S-Video or Composite switching. I would actually think that composite WOULD be a noticeable step down from component inputs. Besides, isn't component inputs needed to enjoy features like anamorphic playback of DVD's?
Old 12-07-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is what you do you use the composite jacks in and out for the component video. Just make sure you match the colors in and out. All it does is moves the video signal for you no sound will go just video. You have to trick it. Check out the HomeTheater forum they have a bunch of topics about the issue.
Old 12-07-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Here is what you do you use the composite jacks in and out for the component video. Just make sure you match the colors in and out. All it does is moves the video signal for you no sound will go just video. You have to trick it. Check out the HomeTheater forum they have a bunch of topics about the issue.
Cool. Makes sense.
Old 12-07-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am still using S-video and I was just wondering about the same thing (selector switch)!! my question is, do you think the Radio Shack version of that Sony listed above would be just as good as the Sony (for the quality of the S-video that is)???
Old 12-07-01, 11:47 AM
dgc

Originally posted by Shuki
I am still using S-video and I was just wondering about the same thing (selector switch)!! my question is, do you think the Radio Shack version of that Sony listed above would be just as good as the Sony (for the quality of the S-video that is)???
Yes, pickup a used one for less than retail. Do a search in ebay for "video selector". Any brand with s-video will do just fine. I just like the sony because it appears to be the most compact.
Old 12-07-01, 11:49 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pork-chop, thanks for bringing up this question, it's exactly what's been bugging me for the last few weeks since i grabbed a PS2. having to switch dvd and ps2 everytime makes HN angry, very angry indeed.

Everyone else, thanks for answering! using the composite switch in this "alternative" method is a nifty idea and looks like the fanatics at the HTF have testing and confirmed the "no-quality-loss." i'm all for that

--HN
Old 12-07-01, 11:53 AM
dgc

Originally posted by HN
using the composite switch in this "alternative" method is a nifty idea and looks like the fanatics at the HTF have testing and confirmed the "no-quality-loss." i'm all for that

--HN
Please post the thread where the testing of the alternative method is discussed in the HTF.
Old 12-07-01, 12:01 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/044625.html

And here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ent+switch+box

--HN