Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Golden Sun any good?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Golden Sun any good?

Old 12-03-01, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Golden Sun any good?

I'm about to get it, and I need some opinions on how good it is. I love RPG's, and I'm wondering if it's good/has a good story/good gameplay.
Old 12-03-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The story is OK, not great, not bad. The gameplay is fun: the puzzle elements aren't very difficult for the most part, but they're enjoyable. The battle system is quick, so random battles aren't that irritating, and some of the bosses are fairly tough. Finding the Djinns is a lot of fun, and choosing who to equip them to adds a bit of strategy.

However, the quest isn't overly long: I think I cleared it in about 18 hours. There are a couple side quests, but for the most part it's fairly linear. And the ending is one of the worst I've seen; it sets things up for a sequel a little too much (I'm not really spoiling anything).

All in all it's a very good game. I don't know if there's much replayability, so you might want to find it used, but I'm not upset that I paid full retail for it.
Old 12-03-01, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've put about 10 hours in on it and I love it. The story is pretty good and it's has a fairly cool magic system that is enhanced by catching elemental creatures (Djinns). A little like the Summons in Final Fantasy. The combat system is fairly standard, but works well. You can save anywhere which is nice. About the only downside is some of the story sections that can be very intensive on the text.

The graphics are very good for a handheld. It's like playing the great SNES RPGs all over again. I would recommend it to any RPG fan.
Old 12-03-01, 10:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

Isn't this going to be the first in a trilogy?
Old 12-03-01, 12:48 PM

What about Breath of Fire?