Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX connections problems. Help!

Old 11-28-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

XBOX connections problems. Help!

I just set the xbox up yesterday. There are 3 outputs from the xbox, one red, one yellow, and one white. The red and white are audio, and the yellow is video, I'm pretty sure of that. But the problem is that I want to connect up the audio parts (red and white) to my receiver, and I have to connect the yellow part direct to my TV, since there is no input for video on my receiver or on my dvd player. The wire is not long enough for me to connect the audio parts to my receiver and at the same time have the video connected to my TV. What can I do? Is there a wire that I can get than can lengthen the video part ? Help me!!
Old 11-28-01, 07:56 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Go to your local radio shack and ask for a RCA video extension cable. That should let you hook it up.
Old 11-28-01, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mwestep
Go to your local radio shack and ask for a RCA video extension cable. That should let you hook it up.
Does this same problem occur if I buy the XBOX A/V pack?
Old 11-28-01, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes. Although each cable is separated at the ends, they come together about 7 inches in.
Old 11-29-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Centurion
Yes. Although each cable is separated at the ends, they come together about 7 inches in.
So is there a lengthener for the S-video cable like there is for the RCA-type plug?
Old 11-29-01, 01:04 AM

wait...you don't run your tv audio to your stereo anyways? I mean shouldn't if you run it through the TV run to the stereo? That's how mine works...unless you are talking about setting it up with an optical cable and stuff...
Old 11-29-01, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you can do that, assuming that you don't want to use the dolby 5.1 sound that he has, and assuming that his tv speakers are even turned on.
Old 11-29-01, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
wait...you don't run your tv audio to your stereo anyways? I mean shouldn't if you run it through the TV run to the stereo? That's how mine works...unless you are talking about setting it up with an optical cable and stuff...
Let's just say that I never bothered to check out whether I can connect the sound from tv shows to my receiver. But I probably can, just need the right cables. If that doesn't work, I'll have to manually take out the present DVD-audio cables and insert the ones from the xbox. Yeesh!
Old 11-29-01, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by huzefa

So is there a lengthener for the S-video cable like there is for the RCA-type plug?
Well, if you're going to be doing any type of extending, you're better off purchasing the stereo cables (RCA). This option is much cheaper than trying to purchase an S-video cable extension.

Therefore, I recommend you plug in the XBOX video cable to your TV and extend the stereo cables from there so that they can reach your receiver.

Likewise, if you're not going to use S-video, I suggest you plug in the stereo cables to your receiver and purchase just 1 RCA extension to reach your TV.

These two ways are the 'cheapest' way to go about solving your problem.
Old 11-29-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Centurion
Well, if you're going to be doing any type of extending, you're better off purchasing the stereo cables (RCA). This option is much cheaper than trying to purchase an S-video cable extension.

Therefore, I recommend you plug in the XBOX video cable to your TV and extend the stereo cables from there so that they can reach your receiver.

Likewise, if you're not going to use S-video, I suggest you plug in the stereo cables to your receiver and purchase just 1 RCA extension to reach your TV.

These two ways are the 'cheapest' way to go about solving your problem.
Two ways? They both sound the same to me. You're saying I should buy an RCA stereo cable (red/white) extension instead of buying an extension for the RCA video (yellow) cable, right? I want to use the S-video option but I have to buy the new A/V pack for that and it's $30 , right? And I'm still going to have to extent that. So I should just buy the RCA stereo extensions and forget about the S-video? How did you guys get around this problem? I mean, I doubt that all of you had your TV's and receivers in close proximity.
Old 11-30-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have mine attached via the High Def adapter using component video and optical audio. It looks and sounds amazing......I'm using my Toshiba 55H70 television....