Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone played Bomberman Online for DC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone played Bomberman Online for DC?

I'm really looking forward to picking this title up. Although I won't be playing it online, I'll look forward to trying it out with 4 controllers.

One of my fondest multiplayer memories of all time was playing 4 player Super Bomberman for SNES. It was so simple and fun, and everyone was just going nuts.

Does anyone have the new Dreamcast version? Any thoughts?
Old 11-28-01, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Didn't know this was coming out... Sounds like a great reason to not give away my Dreamcast just yet!

I remember in college I organized a SuperBomberman tournament for the SNES in the dorms. We had 8 players going on two TVs and two systems at the same time. It was so intense you could just feel the tension, with everyone screaming and yelling at each other. What a blast.
Old 11-28-01, 10:43 AM

It's out. You can read a review for it here:

http://dreamcast.ign.com/reviews/16545.html

I saw it for sale for 29.99 at Best Buy. They had quite a few copies.

Anyone else have comments on Bomberman Online or Super Bomberman memories?
Old 11-28-01, 11:42 AM

I borrowed this game from my friend the other day and its pretty cool! I haven't played Bomberman since Super Bomberman on the SNES. My favorite stage in t hat was the Speed Zone, it was freakin' hilarious! All players start with powers and bombs maxed out and there are no walls to break and the explosions cover practically the entire cross line, the matches only last around 5 or so seconds we laughed so hard, man that was great with 4 players.

Anyway about Bomberman online, the movement of the characters seems a little slower to me but its still plays the same great way. The cool thing is that there are a lot of different rules they added for some stages. I've only played a few of them so far but my favorite is the Hyper Bomber ones where you have to collect 3 targets hidden in boxes and then run to the middle spot on the screen and then ***BOOOOOM*** the entire playing field blows up except you. The water one was pretty interesting too. There's a few others I read in that review I haven't had a chance to try yet.

I haven't tried the online play yet because I've been having trouble connecting my DC to the internet (for some reason our telephone company added call waiting to our phone service without telling us). My DC disconnects when its getting the server information and then it exits the game and goes back to the DC Main Menu (not the game menu it exits the game completely). I'll add more info when (if I get it to work).
Old 11-29-01, 03:14 PM

UPDATE

I've played it a bit more and I got my DC working online, I had forgotten how troublesome modems are. I couldn't figure out how to disable call waiting so I kept getting disconnected after about 5 minutes in a match (I think thats the reason it happened but with modems you can never be sure).

Anyway the online play was pretty cool but a little weird. The cool thing is that you can play with 8 players and it gets really hectic (good thing!) with so many people trying to blast you. The weird thing was that because the connection of everyone was kinda lagged, your bombs don't appear on the map right away. Sometimes they don't appear at all which frusterated me. When you push the button a yellow square appears, after 1 or 2 seconds it will become a bomb(or disappear if its too lagged). For the same reason, some players were also able to walk out of explosions unharmed because of the lag and it would say "SAFE" above their heads. With 4 players it should be find though. Unfortunately my DC connects at 26400 to 28800 and not above that.

The single player is pretty good though with lots of different options and itemsto collect, the loading of the stages is pretty long and the stage select is even longer (its long! and I'm a pretty patient person). Overall its a fun game and besides those points its good old bomberman goodness, I'd recommend renting it first to see if you like how it plays first. Definitely a good reason to own a DC

Any DVDtalker's want to play online let me know and I'll try to join you, maybe we can have a DVDtalk bomberman tourny, that would rule!

Last edited by Outlaw; 11-29-01 at 03:19 PM.